Alternative Service Military Duty

Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Alternative Service Military Duty

Postby Tobiasgar » 24 Oct 2011, 18:57

have found the information that there are usually sufficient volunteers, that's why obligatory service isn't required... Is this true?? :roll:
Tobiasgar
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby chanephraim » 13 Nov 2011, 14:21

im not so sure if im qualified for alternative military service duty. are there any requirements for this one? what does military do? is it true by 2014 there will be no military service performed? im a college graduate, work for clerk then electrician from the philippines.
chanephraim
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby neznet » 03 Apr 2012, 04:58

I know this is an old thread but how do you apply for alternative service? Also fub17, do you get paid a salary for it?
neznet
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby fub17 » 02 May 2012, 16:23

hi all,

sorry haven't checked this forum in ages. been too busy at work.

you do get paid salary. about NT5500 the month in basic training and NT 11000 each month at the school or department you are stationed.

fub17
fub17

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby fub17 » 02 May 2012, 16:28

chanephraim wrote:im not so sure if im qualified for alternative military service duty. are there any requirements for this one? what does military do? is it true by 2014 there will be no military service performed? im a college graduate, work for clerk then electrician from the philippines.

are you dual national? why would you want to apply for Taiwan military if you are from philippines? to answer your question, yes by 2014 or 2015 military concription will officially end. all military personnels will be voluntary, HOWEVER if you are born before (I don't remember exactly when...I think...)1993 or 1995 you MUST still complete military training for 4 months. Let me explain: if you are born before the above year you are obligated to go through regular army basic training (not alternative service, the real deal) for 4 months. Once you complete the required 4 months of basic training you are free to go and discharged. There will no longer be a one year requirement, only a short 4 month.
fub17

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby kaiyuan2893 » 11 Apr 2013, 07:13

Hi there,

I have a bachelers degree from New Zealand and will be a Chartered Accountant by the time i return to Taiwan in 2015. If i go for alternative service rather than the 4 months army service, are there any options to serve in the finance/ accounting sector (other than through the work programme regime)?

Thanks in advance.
kaiyuan2893

Postby Novaspes » 11 Apr 2013, 12:10

wilsun wrote:How easy/difficult is it to get into alternative service?

I was born in Taiwan but am going to school in US, but want to go back to Taiwan for a PhD.

Don't. If you have any other option for your PhD, forget Taiwan. You'll regret it forever.
Forumosan avatar
Novaspes
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

648 Recommends(s)
173 Recognized(s)

Postby hs172 » 11 Apr 2013, 16:40

fub17 are you still here? I'd like to ask some questions through here or mail if at all possible...
I swear to drunk I'm not god
Forumosan avatar
hs172
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

18 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 10 Sep 2012

Postby hs172 » 26 Jul 2013, 08:58

spas12 wrote:daily routine sets in after about 3days and goes smthing along the lines of:
- wake up 10mins before the 'wake-up call' because everyone around you is awake and folding their blankets to specification
- wake-up call and fold mosquito netting, change into running gear and gather outside for some quick stretches
- 3km run, or walk if you have a valid reason why you cant run
- get back to the dorms, quick wash, gather for breakfast
- after breakfast you have classes which barely anyone tunes into that runs to lunch
- more classes after lunch all the way to dinner
- shower (we had a time limit, other groups didnt), time to call home
- night classes or activities
- sleep and repeat

All the way through this there is A LOT of army songs - i.e. you sing before every meal, when you're waiting for things to happen etc. Also you have basic training teaching you to turn the right way, salute, stand at attention etc. Then there is the exam (40% of overall grade), 3km run, written exam, basic training exam.. i took the English version of the written exam (tell your supervisors you want to do this beforehand), the translation wasn't very well done so if you can, try do the Mandarin version. You also have to pick which area of work you want to get into, but since you're probably applying for alt. service using an overseas diploma im guessing you'll have a 'specialty' (傳業) and so wont have to pick as it should already be pre-determined in your application what you'll be doing (teaching English etc). Perform well during all of this and you get longer holidays, bad and they can take some of your holidays away. Also expect to stand night guard at least once during the training, its only for an hour. After this part you go off to your 'specialty' training - location and duration varies. At the end of that there is another exam; this is 60% of your grade. Combine the grades and person with the best grade picks where they want to be stationed first. happy days ahead.

Does this apply to Alt service aswell? I presume this is the bootcamp thingy. Wonder how long it lasts for? :ponder:
I swear to drunk I'm not god
Forumosan avatar
hs172

18 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 10 Sep 2012

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Military Conscription