Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Establishing residency for ABC

Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Establishing residency for ABC

Postby tyang » 08 Dec 2011, 03:10

kaikai34 wrote:look inside your passport. if it says ID number With a Letter followed by 9 numbers, then you have your ID number and there is no need to establish residency. Just go get a card from the household office. But be warned that if you have it, you may already be on the clock even if you came in on your US passport.

Hey thanks very much for your reply... So I called my mom back in the US and she said I never had an ID, but I asked her to send my passport to make sure.

So if I don't have an ID, I can just go get a card from the household office? what is this card? Is it "Qiao Ju" that allows me to leave every 4 months?

I was born in 82 btw so I am qualified for the every 4 month leave.
tyang
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby kaikai34 » 08 Dec 2011, 21:19

tyang wrote:
kaikai34 wrote:look inside your passport. if it says ID number With a Letter followed by 9 numbers, then you have your ID number and there is no need to establish residency. Just go get a card from the household office. But be warned that if you have it, you may already be on the clock even if you came in on your US passport.

Hey thanks very much for your reply... So I called my mom back in the US and she said I never had an ID, but I asked her to send my passport to make sure.

So if I don't have an ID, I can just go get a card from the household office? what is this card? Is it "Qiao Ju" that allows me to leave every 4 months?

No. If you have your ID number already, then you can go get your card. If you don't have a number, then you're gonna need a whole shitload of documents, each stamped at the TECO office in the states, establish residency by staying in Taiwan for a year continuously and then finally you get your shiny new card. The Qiao Ju is stamp in your passport that allows you to come and go freely without completing your military service first. Good luck.
kaikai34
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

Postby Funnytoss » 04 Apr 2012, 23:09

kaikai34 wrote:
tyang wrote:

No. If you have your ID number already, then you can go get your card. If you don't have a number, then you're gonna need a whole shitload of documents, each stamped at the TECO office in the states, establish residency by staying in Taiwan for a year continuously and then finally you get your shiny new card. The Qiao Ju is stamp in your passport that allows you to come and go freely without completing your military service first. Good luck.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I'm an ABC who's going through this process but the instructions I've been getting online/from government sites/immigration agency have been rather confusing. It feels like very few people use this route to citizenship.

This question is more directed towards kaikai34, since it seems like he already went through this before - the required documentation seems fairly clear (stuff that has to get confirmed by the TECO office), but recently I learned that I also had to apply for a Taiwanese passport and then enter Taiwan using that as well. Is that the case? Thanks!
Funnytoss

Postby kaikai34 » 06 Apr 2012, 22:49

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I'm an ABC who's going through this process but the instructions I've been getting online/from government sites/immigration agency have been rather confusing. It feels like very few people use this route to citizenship.

This question is more directed towards kaikai34, since it seems like he already went through this before - the required documentation seems fairly clear (stuff that has to get confirmed by the TECO office), but recently I learned that I also had to apply for a Taiwanese passport and then enter Taiwan using that as well. Is that the case? Thanks![/quote]

Yes, you have to get a Taiwanese passport and enter on it to be able to get the ball rolling. I was able to apply for and get my passport from the TECO office in LA. I was told later that they almost never issue passports outside of Taiwan, but you can try. If you do get one before, then use it to enter Taiwan. Otherwise, you have to enter Taiwan on the US passport. Get your Taiwan passport. Exit Taiwan on your US. (Most of us go to Hong Kong for the day. Many flights daily and not too expensive or far) Enter Taiwan on your Taiwan passport. You'd save yourself about 9000nt. Good luck.
kaikai34

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Military Conscription