Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Establishing residency for ABC

Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Establishing residency for ABC

Postby Crynz » 25 Jan 2011, 01:06

Hi,
Very useful info, thank you. I am on the leave wert four
Month plan.

My question, however, is for my friend. Let me explain his circumstances.

He is of Taiwanese descent (born in 1970s but not yet 36) but born in the USA with USA citizenship.
His parents got him a Taiwanese passport when he was young at the American TECO office but he has always used his USA passport. So, he currently is not "registered" at any address and never has been. He just recently renewed his Taiwan passport at TECO and got a "foreign Chinese (qiao ju)" stamp.

He wants to now establish Taiwan residency and get a hukou plus if card. After asking so many dept in Taiwan, it seems the laws really are all muddled up. What we have been able to surmise is that he must stay in Taiwan for over one year without leaving the country to establish residency. But how? Wouldn't he be drafted for overstaying? Anyone have any ideas about this?

A friend said that basically it is ok to overstay once to meet the 1yr rule to establish residency.

Help greatly appreciated. Anyone have experience with this?
-Crynz
Crynz
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Establishing residency for ABC

Postby Joeman_0 » 01 Feb 2011, 11:31

I was told that luck has a lot to do with it. Because they can still nab you if you are over 36. Some people in Taiwan are not big into rules especially the older generation. They do whatever they feel like it.

So there is a risk he has to take.
Joeman_0
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby twjl » 07 Feb 2011, 23:46

Did you try asking the OCAC in Taiwan? If you did try talking to several other people there as like you said, the info is a bit confusing even for them.

One thing regarding your friend's issue is that by being born in the USA that might actually help him not get drafted as I remember the rules are slightly different from those born in TW or not. Also, I remember reading that even though you must leave every 4 months, you have 2 exemptions.

But your best bet is to keep asking people at the OCAC to see if they can clear up the info. Good luck!
twjl
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby jhsu009 » 10 Oct 2011, 01:57

sooo... I know this is a 2 year old post, but im currently dealing with the same issue so ill comment what I know so that future readers can refer back.

I am actually in the same situation as your friend. I am an American born taiwanese, I have a tw passport from when I was a kid, and now im 22 years old and back in tw with a teaching gig. I want tw ID so that i can get a cheaper tax rate (from 18% to 6%) among other reasons

from what i heard, these are the rules for getting the ID:
- stay in tw for a FULL year. literally no leaving at all, except for potentially a visa run
- establish a residency where your parents lived
- get an FBI background check from the country youre from (I'd do this early bc it tkaes 2-3 months to process. and do it when youre still home to make the mailing easier)
- get a health check. do this in the country youre from so they test for the right diseases. oh and bring your record of shots so you dont have to pay for shots you already got

thats all I know. :P hope it helps whoever reads this in the future
jhsu009
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby tyang » 24 Nov 2011, 18:15

I have a question...

I am an American born Taiwanese and had passport since I was a kid also. I am also back in Taiwan with a teaching gig. Now the problem is that I came in with my American Passport and got a job as an English teacher at a cram school so I have an ARC.

But now my Cram school all of the sudden decided that they do not want to renew my ARC anymore and I have about 2 months to figure out what to do.

I am thinking of getting the ID but when I asked around, they said since I stayed over a year on my ARC that I am bound to military service id I do get an ID.

This sort of contradicts what people says on here. I am really confused and one minute they tell me this and the other minute they say ohh wait you are fine...

So what it is that I need to do I am get the ID card? and does the ID card get you a "qioa ju?"

Btw from my asking through gvt offices and parents friends in Taiwan, who are in the Overseas Chinese office, they all give me different answers or vary confusing facts. What do I need to do and what steps do I need to take?
tyang

Postby kaikai34 » 24 Nov 2011, 23:44

jhsu009 : If you were born before 1984? you can leave the country every 4 months to avoid the draft. Born after, you cannot stay for more than x amount of days ( I really can't remember the specific number). You say you're 22? If you plan to stay here long term, just join the army. They will give you a cushy job teaching English to underprivileged kids. I think it'll be a little over a year. I think you only need a local police report, unless they've changed the rules in the past 5 years.

To Crynz
You will enter on your Taiwanese passport and you will get a temporary ARC, so you would not be overstaying. Also, you can't get drafted until AFTER you get your ID card, so the year that you're here establishing residency doesn't count. You're buddy has to go to the Immigration offices and get that piece of paper that lists everything he needs. He needs to get everything on that list and stamped at the TECO office in the states and it all has to be done within 3 months. It was a BITCH getting it done.
kaikai34
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

Postby tyang » 25 Nov 2011, 01:36

kaikai34 wrote:jhsu009 : If you were born before 1984? you can leave the country every 4 months to avoid the draft. Born after, you cannot stay for more than x amount of days ( I really can't remember the specific number). You say you're 22? If you plan to stay here long term, just join the army. They will give you a cushy job teaching English to underprivileged kids. I think it'll be a little over a year. I think you only need a local police report, unless they've changed the rules in the past 5 years.

To Crynz
You will enter on your Taiwanese passport and you will get a temporary ARC, so you would not be overstaying. Also, you can't get drafted until AFTER you get your ID card, so the year that you're here establishing residency doesn't count. You're buddy has to go to the Immigration offices and get that piece of paper that lists everything he needs. He needs to get everything on that list and stamped at the TECO office in the states and it all has to be done within 3 months. It was a BITCH getting it done.

Do you know anything about my case??

The thing is I had residency in Taiwan when I was young (I came back to Taiwan for a little bit of elementary school), although I was born in the US.

So does that make my case different? They said because I had a ID before that the years of me staying here from the age 19 on are cumulative no matter what. Is that true?
tyang

Postby kaikai34 » 25 Nov 2011, 02:07

tyang: I'm not really sure I understand your situation. You have a green passport right? If it's an overseas one, then there shouldn't be an ID number in it, only a passport number. If I remember correctly, they don't start counting until after you get your ID card. I think they COULD, but they don't. It's been years since I did mine and I can't really remember the details. I was born pre 1984 too, so I left the country every 4 months. This may not be an option for you. If you plan to stay here long term and/or need an ID the year of military service ain't all that bad for ABC's from what I hear. You need to get yourself over to the Immigration place on Guang Zhou Rd on the west side (I'm assuming you're in Taipei). Go downstairs and ask them what you need. Then go to your local household registration office and they should have a military service floor and you need to talk to them. Find out what the steps are and which documents are needed. Remember the person you spoke with because different people tell you different things. I know, it's fucked up. I had to do the process 3 times. It took 2 years for me to establish residency. Once you find someone nice and patient, go to that person every time you go in, so you won't get the runaround.

As for your elementary school time here, I don't think that counts as residency. I did a semester of 3rd grade here too, and they just enrolled me. I didn't even have a Taiwanese passport at that time.
kaikai34

Postby tyang » 25 Nov 2011, 11:57

kaikai34 wrote:tyang: I'm not really sure I understand your situation. You have a green passport right? If it's an overseas one, then there shouldn't be an ID number in it, only a passport number. If I remember correctly, they don't start counting until after you get your ID card. I think they COULD, but they don't. It's been years since I did mine and I can't really remember the details. I was born pre 1984 too, so I left the country every 4 months. This may not be an option for you. If you plan to stay here long term and/or need an ID the year of military service ain't all that bad for ABC's from what I hear. You need to get yourself over to the Immigration place on Guang Zhou Rd on the west side (I'm assuming you're in Taipei). Go downstairs and ask them what you need. Then go to your local household registration office and they should have a military service floor and you need to talk to them. Find out what the steps are and which documents are needed. Remember the person you spoke with because different people tell you different things. I know, it's fucked up. I had to do the process 3 times. It took 2 years for me to establish residency. Once you find someone nice and patient, go to that person every time you go in, so you won't get the runaround.

As for your elementary school time here, I don't think that counts as residency. I did a semester of 3rd grade here too, and they just enrolled me. I didn't even have a Taiwanese passport at that time.

Well my green passport is from when I was in elementary in Taiwan, So I guess it is directly from Taiwan so that I have an ID number?? Thats what the person is saying that if I have an ID number I will always have an ID number... but I don't know

eh the same person might tell me something else later on...
tyang

Postby kaikai34 » 25 Nov 2011, 20:24

look inside your passport. if it says ID number With a Letter followed by 9 numbers, then you have your ID number and there is no need to establish residency. Just go get a card from the household office. But be warned that if you have it, you may already be on the clock even if you came in on your US passport.
kaikai34

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Military Conscription