Do I need a criminal record?

Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Do I need a criminal record?

Postby TeaMan » 10 Jan 2004, 21:35

Hi,

I have been in Taiwan for five years and got married in September. I want to apply for the ARC based on marriage. My wife called and they told her that since I have been here for 5 years that I don't the Criminal Record Check from my home country and that I could get one from my local police station in Taiwan and that would be enough. I didn't see anything about this anywhere on the message board or anywhere else. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks
TeaMan
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Joesox » 11 Jan 2004, 00:36

If that is what they told you then great. Hartzell's post here;
http://forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?p=132406#132406
seems to imply that you do still need to get a CCRD from your 'home country', though.

I have no personal experience of this so cannot comment further.
Joesox
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

7 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Hartzell » 11 Jan 2004, 08:14

I suggest that you visit MOFA-BOCA in person, or have a friend do so, and pick up a copy of the regulations which they have printed out. It should be easy to determine the facts of the matter by looking at the written regulations.
Richard W. Hartzell
contact me by email at rwh.midway@gmail.com
Neihu District, Taipei (114)
Forumosan avatar
Hartzell
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

19 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 03 Feb 2004, 15:26

My wife has just got off the phone with the Taipei County FAP head honcho.
If you have been in Taiwan for at least 5 years on a resident visa, you do not need a criminal record document from your home country (this is for UK citizens. I don't know if the situation is the same for other nationalities).
Instead, you need to get a document from the re-entry bureau to prove the 5-years on a resident visa, plus another document from your relevant foreign affairs police office.

So, if you are a Brit and you've been here on a work-based resident visa for at least 5 years and wish to change to a Joining Family Resident Visa, you need:

1. Your marriage certificate
2. Your household registration document with your name on it
3. A health certificate
4. A photograph
5. A document from the re-entry bureau
6. A clean criminal record from your FAP office

I'm guessing that Hartzell's reference to the written instructions was tongue in cheek -- the English-language pamphlet on JFRV application makes no mention of items 5 and 6 whatsoever and instead stipulates a requirement for a document that does not exist, which has stopped me from applying for this kind of visa for almost 5 years.

Bitter? Who? Me?
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby TNT » 03 Feb 2004, 22:31

Is this continous i.e it must be five consecutive years?

Do they use the calender year to measure the time i,.e if you came in September they would start the clock at Jan 1 the following year?

What is the minimum time each year you had the residence visa. If you drop your residence visa from the end of one year to the middle of the next year but are coming in and out of Taiwan on a visitor/ business visa, do they count this as missing time, else do they consider this as continous i.e having a residence visa for those two years, albeit not strictly continuos
TNT
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

Postby sandman » 03 Feb 2004, 22:51

TNT wrote:Is this continous i.e it must be five consecutive years?

Do they use the calender year to measure the time i,.e if you came in September they would start the clock at Jan 1 the following year?

What is the minimum time each year you had the residence visa. If you drop your residence visa from the end of one year to the middle of the next year but are coming in and out of Taiwan on a visitor/ business visa, do they count this as missing time, else do they consider this as continous i.e having a residence visa for those two years, albeit not strictly continuos

I'm sorry, my wife didn't ask those questions as they don't apply in my case. I plan to begin the application process later this week and will post the exact names of the relevant Re-entry Bureau/FAP documents when I find out what they are.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby TeaMan » 18 Feb 2004, 18:23

Well different people tell you different things. The good news is that you don't need the CCRD from your home country if you've been here for 5 years. I know this because I just did all the paper work. I went to the Banqiao police station today to apply for the ARC and will have it by Wednesday next week.

I saved myself a lot of time and hassle this way. So if you've been here five years keep this in mind.
I did need to produce a document showing my record of entry and exit over the last years, so that should not be forgotten when you go to MOFA for your visa.
TeaMan

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby MJB » 19 Feb 2004, 13:53

Nice..........

I got hitched back in 91 after already being here for almost 6 years.........The police record was by far the most troublesome document to aquire. I ended up getting one from my Grandparents area, even though I have never lived there. It took 4 damn months!

Please don't for a second take for granted the amount of hassle you have just been relieved from!

Congratulations!
Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit
MJB
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

6 Recognized(s)

Postby Traveller » 30 Apr 2004, 10:52

Getting a CCRD from the UK, or a Subject Access as it is known there, is not a major hassle, although can take some time, you do not even need to be there to do it. It can all be done by post.
This is a change that has only happened ion the last couple of years, hence why so few people know about.

If you have been here for 5 years or more then great, it now appears to be even easier, but if not, then this process is not impossible. If you have relatives etc back in UK to act as postmaster etc, then the whole process can be completed in about six weeks, that includes the ducument being authorised etc by the TECO in London.
Traveller
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

Do I need a Criminal Record?

Postby Shenme Niao » 15 Jan 2005, 21:00

A friend from New Zealand applied to enter Australia.
The immigration official asked: Do you have a criminal record?
To which my Kiwi friend replied: Um, is that still a requirement?
Forumosan avatar
Shenme Niao
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Certification