Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

single certification and marriage

Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

single certification and marriage

Postby holmes5668 » 16 May 2002, 10:16

I want to marry my girlfriend. I am british, she is Canadian. we need to get certificates to state that we are single. the british trade office in taipei says I have to go to hong kong. is there anyway round this?

single certification and marriage

Postby Bu Lai En » 18 May 2002, 04:28

Check out this thread:
I think there were a couple of British guys there. My suggestion is don't bother with the trade office. Try and deal with the relevant department int he UK directly. You'll probably find that the guys here are talking shite.

I'm dealing with NZ but it was pretty straight forward. I looked up on the net, downloaded the form and sent it off int he mail with my credit card number.

User avatar
Bu Lai En
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Posts: 6197
Joined: 12 Apr 2001, 16:01
Location: Finisterre

single certification and marriage

Postby sandman » 18 May 2002, 07:31

Phsssshaw! Hong Kong now is it? When I first went, they told me I had to go back to UK. No question. Absolutely no other way.
They are total idiots that know not their arses from their elbows. If you keep demanding to speak to their boss, you should eventually talk to someone who should tell you what to do. It goes something like this:

Do you have parents living in UK? If so, ask them to go the family solicitor (or the notary public in their town) and get a notarized proxy single certificate. Then ask them to send it to the Taiwan rep. office in London, enclosing an SAE to you in Taiwan, along with the processing fee (10 pounds when I did it in 1997). The rep office will check that the notary public or solicitor really exists and will then put their own stamp on the back of the document before sending it on to you using the SAE.

That's it.
Manjusri (Wénshū)
Posts: 30176
Joined: 04 Jun 2001, 16:01

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Certification

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 0 guests