Criminal History Check No Longer Required?

Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Criminal History Check No Longer Required?

Postby NoHope » 22 Nov 2006, 10:56

Hello again guys and gals. Could someone please verifie this information, my woman in TW made some calls and according the the BOCA person she talked to they say a criminal history check in not required for a foreign spouse. Is this correct? I am trying to get all the stuff on my end taken care of as we are planning on getting married in Feb and then go back to TW for a few years. I just don't want to have to fly back and forth from the states getting paperwork rounded up.
NoHope
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby jlick » 22 Nov 2006, 11:44

That would be quite a change if true. I would ask them more than once so you aren't getting some idiot who doesn't know the rules. If true, please post back here so everyone knows of the change.
SUBWAY™ eat fresh! Free wireless Internet access at both Jimmy's Sandwich Company locations:
SUBWAY™ Qingcheng Restaurant: Urban One 1F #1 Qingcheng Street, Taipei. (Nanjing East Road MRT station)
SUBWAY™ Minquan Jilin Restaurant: #74, Section 2, Minquan East Road, Taipei.
Forumosan avatar
jlick
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

4 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby NoHope » 22 Nov 2006, 11:50

She called twice to the Boca office and once to the police department that handles the foreign residence stuff and they all 3 said no, it's not required. The second call she talked to the father of one of her students (he works for boca) and he told her no. Hmm this is starting to get more confusing...I guess I will call the office in Seatle WA. and confirm with them on monday. Please post any info any of you have in regards to this.
NoHope

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby sandman » 22 Nov 2006, 12:48

Sounds to me as if you are asking them the wrong question.

Of course you can get married -- either in the US or in Taiwan -- without a criminal history check.
However, if you want to obtain a Taiwan visa based on your married status, you WILL require the check.

Are you asking them if you can get married without the check, or are you asking them if you can get a Joining Family Resident Visa without the check?

The requirements are different.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Postby Quarters » 22 Nov 2006, 19:24

Im with Sandman on this one.

Be careful what you ask for. Be absolutely specific.

I strongly doubt the laws have changed. I am currently going through the process of getting my JFRV. I have been in contact with BOCA and FAP constantly for the past 2 months. As far as I have been told, a Clean Criminal Record Report is mandatory when applying for a JFRV.

Resident Visa Types:
Working -------------->Criminal Check = NO
Studying-------------->Criminal Check = NO
Joining Family-------->Criminal Check = YES
Permanent--------->Criminal Check = YES
Diplomatic------------>Criminal Check = NO

Also, many don't realize that there are 2 types of criminal checks:

Internal:
If you have resided in Taiwan for 5 years or more consecutively you can get a criminal record check done within Taiwan. These people might be mistaking your question as to whether you need a Taiwan Criminal Check.

External:
The other kind. A Clean Criminal Record Report from your home country. Must be in English or translated into Chinese and certified by your home TECO.

Just to be absolutely sure, I will contact the FAP and BOCA tomorrow and ask. I will post my findings after that.
Forumosan avatar
Quarters
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

16 Recognized(s)

Postby NoHope » 22 Nov 2006, 21:04

I beleive you guys are right on this. I questiioned her over this several times after and before she called. She speaks english well as she lived in AU. and the US for several years but she still has issues from time to time. All I was asking her to do to was call and find out if I could get the paper work started on my end without having the paper work started on that end.
NoHope

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Quarters » 23 Nov 2006, 13:18

Confirmation received today from FAP and BOCA. Clean Criminal Report is mandatory for JFRV.
Forumosan avatar
Quarters

16 Recognized(s)

Postby Redmenace » 23 Nov 2006, 16:05

A criminal check is mandatory, but the "clean" part is flexible. Or so I have been told by the Taichung MOFA.
Redmenace
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby NoHope » 23 Nov 2006, 20:21

Ahh, Thanks man. This is going to save me time I hope bu having it done when I get to TW.
NoHope

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby creztor » 24 Nov 2006, 12:47

Got my JFRV a few months ago, from Aus originally, and a criminal check record was required, this was probably 3 - 4 months ago tho.
Lost in Kaohsiung :D
creztor
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

89 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

x

Return to Certification