Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Missing authentication of Swiss marriage certificate

Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Missing authentication of Swiss marriage certificate

Postby globetrotter » 24 Nov 2006, 15:28

As spouse with a resident visa I went to the local police to get my ARC, accompanied by my husband who has an ARC. We are both Swiss citizens. They did not accept our Swiss marriage certificate because we could not provide Swiss authentication nor local authentication. We were not asked to provide these documents when we left. I received a temporary ARC valid for 2 months to fulfill this requirement.

I was told to get the Swiss legalization done in my home country and the local certificate at the Taiwan embassy in Switzerland. This takes way to much time and effort since I'm not getting back soon.

Then I went to BOCA (Bureau of Consular Affairs). They could not confirm if I could get the legalization done at the local Swiss representative in Taipei. Seems like I can get the Taiwan authentication done at BOCA here in Taipei.

Please confirm that the Swiss authentication can be done at a Swiss representative office in Taipei (“Trade Office of Swiss Industry” since no embassy/consulate). What's the language to be used for this document? Please confirm that I may have the Taiwan authentication done at BOCA in Taipei.

Appreciate your input and help
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Posts: 2
Joined: 24 Nov 2006, 14:37

Postby Feiren » 24 Nov 2006, 17:08

You can try. I doubt it though. The way legalization (as it is usually referred to) works is that the Taiwan rep office in your country certifies that the document is an authentic document issued by the Swiss government. The idea is that because they are in Switzerland, they can tell if it is a fake or not.

What you can do (at least if you are from the States) is Fedex your documents to your local Taiwanese embassy/consulate and enclose the fee plus money to Fedex the document back. You can just put some cash in the envelope. Be sure to call the local Taiwanese embassy/consulate in Switzerland first to see if they will do this. Keep begging if they say no. If they really say no, you can always ask the folks at the Swiss embassy here in Taipei to call them (I've heard of some European countries helping out their citziens that way).

The advantage of Fedexing (DHL) is that you can track the package online and call them when it reaches Switzerland to make sure that they are processing it etc.

Good luck!
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Posts: 5099
Joined: 05 Jan 2002, 17:01
Location: Drum Tower

Postby doraemon » 26 Nov 2006, 21:52

yes the legalization of your document must be done in the Taiwan embassy of your own country, and legalize again in Taiwan (BOCA) before to use it.
And also remember that if your document isn't originaly in English, it must be translate in Chinese before to legalize it...
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Posts: 216
Joined: 22 Nov 2004, 16:09

Re: Missing authentication of Swiss marriage certificate

Postby globetrotter » 17 Dec 2006, 17:26

Just to report that the authentication of my marriage certificate has been done here in Taipei. There is no need to go back home when you have already arrived with a resident visa.

STEPS: the Swiss representative in Taipei authenticated the original Swiss marriage certificate I provided, along with the official government translation in English. Then BOCA in Taipei authenticated the Swiss certification letter.

So I needed one week to get the ARC card. The staff at the foreign police department were a little surprised I could get this all done here. Maybe it amounts to new regulations .....
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Posts: 2
Joined: 24 Nov 2006, 14:37

Re: Missing authentication of Swiss marriage certificate

Postby Tobiasgar » 03 Oct 2011, 14:57

The Consular Offices of most Embassies are able to help their nationals with much of the documentation required.
Posts: 32
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 17:39

Re: Missing authentication of Swiss marriage certificate

Postby Belgian Pie » 03 Oct 2011, 15:40

They (TECO) can never authenticate a document ... what they do is notarize/authenticate the signature of the person that signed the document ...

In Belgium, it's the signature of a city/town major that's authenticated by the ministry of foreign affairs, stamping and signing off, which in turn is authenticated by the TECO in Belgium ... they have lists of persons at the ministry that may sign and authenticate documents ...

So, I could never have a document authenticated in Taiwan as they can not authenticate a signature form my home town major ... pretty all documents are handed out at local level, not national level ...

Don't forget to have it translated ... which in Belgium makes it even more complicated ...

But, it could be different for Switzerland ...
User avatar
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
Posts: 12175
Joined: 31 Oct 2004, 19:39
Location: High ground

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Certification

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 0 guests