Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Manila - Moving to

Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Forum rules
Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Keyword searches: Shanghai

Re: Manila - Moving to

Postby bob_honest » 05 Jul 2016, 18:27

Thank you Goose egg. We'll be moving in August - guess I PM you when it gets a bit closer. Also I never know if wife changes her plans last minute again ;-)
Taiwan is like Zimbabwe: Cheating foreigners out of their monthly old age labor-law pension: read here: https://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=138311&p=1736162#p1736162
bob_honest
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

Re: Manila - Moving to

Postby finley » 10 Jul 2016, 20:28

Generally speaking, your presence at this establishment will be a source of entertainment for them. Even though I don't trust anybody, I'm also aware of the fact that most locals over-estimate their own cunning and wile, i.e. they aren't anywhere near as crafty as they think they are. And some of the most bald-faced liars you ever met. The big question is how sharp are your street smarts? The key to being safe in that snakepit is seeing the danger long before it gets to you. If a stranger approaches me - at any time, in any place - I politely tell them to get lost. Now, if some punk were to pull a gun on me, I'd hand over whatever I had on me, since it's generally never more than a few thousand pesos. You can have that, buddy. Also, I never carry credit cards or extra cash unless we're going to make a big purchase; and in that case, it's straight from the taxi into the shop.

This. The vast bulk of your negative interactions with Filipinos will be petty, transparent, or downright retarded attempts to part you from smallish sums of cash. That's not to say that violent robberiesd don't happen - the place just next door to my business was done over last month, but then again I live in a part of the Philippines where the police believe their job involves (a) fobbing off the public with excuses and (b) napping. Manila is a different ballgame - different class of criminals and a different class of policemen, and it can be hard to tell the two apart. Broadly speaking, the hardcore criminals will target lucrative opportunities (as goose egg said) and probably aren't going to be interested in a sausage shop.

Small word of warning: Filipinos are endlessly coming up with ridiculous business ideas that are guaranteed not to work. Their main purpose, usually, is to get the rich kano to "invest" some money, which will then be spent on cellphones, a new tin roof, cockfighting, etc. In a few instances it may actually be put into the "business", but for any number of reasons the business will (predictably) fail. Even if you maintain control of operations and finance, you'll be faced with a predatory bunch of regulators, taxmen, and assorted rubber-stampers who will nickel-and-dime your business to death. Most businesses keep double books because they'd be out of business within a week if they didn't.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
finley
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Greater Forumosa