UK settlement visa

Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Forum rules
Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Keyword searches: Shanghai

UK settlement visa

Postby fruitloop » 18 Nov 2011, 22:38

Does anyone have any experience of getting a partner a settlement visa for the UK?

So far we're ticking all the boxes except for the fact that I don't have a job (very bad timing to return). We have a place to stay for as long as necessary and food on the table - so there is no reason why we should be a burden on the state (which is what it's all about). She meets the language requirements, is a graduate with good long term prospects etc.

The government is looking at introducing an £18,000 minimum income limit for those wishing to bring partners in, possibly next March. Evil Tory bastards!

There are agencies that charge serious money to take on your case - I'm not sure if they charge the same if they can't get you the visa. The Citizens Advice Bureau suggested a local housing trust, who'll do it on Legal Aid, which I'm hoping is the same level of help.

Any experience?
"Only the Chinese Communist party comes close to the British Conservatives in its understanding of power – and its capacity to hold and keep it."

"Bunk beds are cool. A bed with a ladder. You can’t beat that."

http://toby-the-ex-ex-pat.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
fruitloop
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Re: UK settlement visa

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 04 Jan 2013, 13:14

a TARDIS would be a very nice thing to have...
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

1 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 04 Jan 2013, 15:15

Look on Taiwanease for Taffy's thread about this. Some people consider going through a third EU country first. It's a very right wing law isn't it.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1738 Recommends(s)
623 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 04 Jan 2013, 15:19

I have heard that it's gotten hard enough where the couple just ended up settling in other, less racist EU countries, and piggybacking on their EU visas to live in the UK (eventually).
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers

1 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

Postby SloanRanger » 12 Jan 2013, 02:29

Does anyone have any experience of getting a partner a settlement visa for the UK?

Get married. Or get her onto a course whereby she can have a student visa for 2-years. If you can show you've been living together for 2-years she'll qualify for a partner/common law visa - get her name on all the bills and keep copies of them. But that has to be renewed every 2-years, marriage is cheaper if you don't have any savings and don't plan to later get divorced.
SloanRanger
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

5 Recognized(s)

Postby WolvesMon » 03 Feb 2013, 22:50

Will be as welcome as AIDS
She said to me in Harlem. 'Hey! Keep a cool tool fool. I'm wise to the rise in your levis!'
WolvesMon
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

5 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 04 Feb 2013, 09:03

SloanRanger wrote:

Get married. Or get her onto a course whereby she can have a student visa for 2-years. If you can show you've been living together for 2-years she'll qualify for a partner/common law visa - get her name on all the bills and keep copies of them. But that has to be renewed every 2-years, marriage is cheaper if you don't have any savings and don't plan to later get divorced.

Are you sure this advice is up to date? There are many restrictions in place now.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1738 Recommends(s)
623 Recognized(s)

Postby Petrichor » 10 Feb 2013, 21:09

headhonchoII wrote:
SloanRanger wrote:

Are you sure this advice is up to date? There are many restrictions in place now.

It's marriage certificate of 4 years, sponsoring partner with £18,000 minimum salary for 6 months prior to application, job offer in the UK with a minimum salary, or £64,000 savings (from memory). So many British expats who want to return with their spouse are in a stranglehold over this. Typical Tory cockup. I don't think it'll last much longer.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

86 Recommends(s)
91 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Greater Forumosa