Taicang

Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Forum rules
Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Keyword searches: Shanghai

Taicang

Postby Tomas » 27 Nov 2011, 23:34

I'm out here in Taicang (literally, "great warehouse"--it was a big grain storage area for the Eastern Wu kingdom a few thousand years ago and then a major port about 600 years ago). It's just north of Shanghai in Jiangsu Province. For those who are interested, I'm here facilitating a management communication program for a bunch of junior managers at a multinational. I'll be here all week.

I'm in a nice hotel, and I had a walk around the area after I checked in. It's a rather quaint city, much slower paced that bustling, nervous Shanghai. Nobody tried to kill me when I crossed the road :bravo: . I saw industrial parks on my way in, and some of my clients have factories here.

Has anyone else been here before? Any decent restaurants you'd recommend? I'm on a generous per diem, so quality is more important than cost.

I found a dim sum place close by that I'll try one night, and a coffee place that probably serves some decent food. Everything else was crowded hotpot joints. I generally travel alone and am always on the lookout for places with good food that are relatively quiet. Don't imagine I'll find much in the way of exotic foreign cuisine, but I'll try.

Not much of a point to this post. Just wanted to see if anyone else has been here.
Come on baby, you know you my home slice.

This post was recommended by Charlie Jack (01 Dec 2011, 14:16)
Rating: 5.88%
Tomas
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
128 Recommends(s)
154 Recognized(s)

Re: Taicang

Postby Tomas » 30 Nov 2011, 22:48

I'm a bit lonely out here in the boonies near Shanghai so I'll update for anyone interested.

After four days, I've decided I like Taicang. It's a bit sleepy, but nice. I never found any exotic foreign cuisine, but I've found some decent restaurants and I've enjoyed my nightly walks on the tree-lined streets here. Apparently, there are a ton of Germans in Taicang, though I haven't seen any barbarian Germanic types gathering in the streets :) .

Okay, back to work.
Tomas

ORIGINAL POSTER
128 Recommends(s)
154 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 01 Dec 2011, 00:37

I bet 99pct of Taiwanese have never even heard of Taicang? :D
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

577 Recommends(s)
365 Recognized(s)

Postby Tomas » 01 Dec 2011, 13:24

tommy525 wrote:I bet 99pct of Taiwanese have never even heard of Taicang? :D

There are quite a few multinationals here. It's a growing industrial area. It isn't Kunshan or Suzhou for sure, but the Taishang who travel to the PRC like me know about it. It's just a bit north of Shanghai.
Tomas

ORIGINAL POSTER
128 Recommends(s)
154 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 01 Dec 2011, 15:23

Shang where? (just kidding)
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

577 Recommends(s)
365 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Greater Forumosa