US taxes discussion

Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Forum rules
Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Keyword searches: Shanghai

US taxes discussion

Postby tommy525 » 23 Feb 2012, 13:24

Well at least if u renounce USA citizenship you wont have to pay the EXTRMELY HIGH TAXES. Geesus , i feel like im being stripped to my bare ass !! And not in a good way.
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
477 Recommends(s)
315 Recognized(s)

Taiwanese Citizenship and Renunciation

Postby headhonchoII » 23 Feb 2012, 13:30

As a matter of interest could you break down what taxes you are paying and the %?
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1314 Recommends(s)
504 Recognized(s)

Re: Taiwanese Citizenship and Renunciation

Postby tommy525 » 23 Feb 2012, 13:57

headhonchoII wrote:As a matter of interest could you break down what taxes you are paying and the %?

very rough numbers here but if u make bout 100,000 as a single person with only one exemption (urself) , no dependents, your exemtion and standard deduction is only bout 5800 plus bout 3500 so your taxable is bout 90,000 which means about 18800 fed tax and bout 6500 in ca state taxes, bout 1100 in CASDI and bout 6500 as well in social security.

so total out of your pocket , with nothing other then standard deduction and yourself as exemption would mean you will lose a third of it to taxes/social security and the like.

With research u can narrow it down to the dollar but above is rough guide.
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
477 Recommends(s)
315 Recognized(s)

Postby Satellite TV » 23 Feb 2012, 15:15

headhonchoII wrote:As a matter of interest could you break down what taxes you are paying and the %?

I think thats far too personal a question, it's just as bad as asking what someone's annual salary is.
You would not want to know what mine is.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby tommy525 » 23 Feb 2012, 16:01

Satellite TV wrote:

I think thats far too personal a question, it's just as bad as asking what someone's annual salary is.
You would not want to know what mine is.

I know, so i didnt use my own salary ;)
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
477 Recommends(s)
315 Recognized(s)

Postby Impaler » 24 Feb 2012, 01:40

tommy525 wrote:

very rough numbers here but if u make bout 100,000 as a single person with only one exemption (urself) , no dependents, your exemtion and standard deduction is only bout 5800 plus bout 3500 so your taxable is bout 90,000 which means about 18800 fed tax and bout 6500 in ca state taxes, bout 1100 in CASDI and bout 6500 as well in social security.

so total out of your pocket , with nothing other then standard deduction and yourself as exemption would mean you will lose a third of it to taxes/social security and the like.

With research u can narrow it down to the dollar but above is rough guide.

You're doing something wrong. The first (approx) US$90,000 is exempt if you earn it in Taiwan (or any other foreign country):
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/int ... 30,00.html

Edit: assuming that you meet either the "has an ARC and stayed overseas for six months or more" test or the "stayed out of the U.S. for more than 330 days of the year" test.
It's amazing what getting out of the care of the Scottish National Health Service can do for your life expectancy.

"Mostly, nature looks after itself, if you let it. If you arrange things correctly, nature will do all the hard work for you, but it takes a lot of careful thought, planning, attention to detail, and a little experimentation. In other words, we're all doomed." -- finley
Forumosan avatar
Impaler
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

2 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Taiwanese Citizenship and Renunciation

Postby headhonchoII » 24 Feb 2012, 06:17

Tommy lives in the US.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1314 Recommends(s)
504 Recognized(s)

Postby Impaler » 24 Feb 2012, 10:10

headhonchoII wrote:Tommy lives in the US.

Well, that explains why he's getting taxed by the U.S., then! Having a different citizenship isn't going to do anything if your income is being earned in the U.S. and/or you're resident there, and in fact it would cause all sorts of other tax problems. I seem to recall that there's mandatory withholding for certain transactions if someone is an alien, whereas a U.S. citizen just pays when he files his taxes.
It's amazing what getting out of the care of the Scottish National Health Service can do for your life expectancy.

"Mostly, nature looks after itself, if you let it. If you arrange things correctly, nature will do all the hard work for you, but it takes a lot of careful thought, planning, attention to detail, and a little experimentation. In other words, we're all doomed." -- finley
Forumosan avatar
Impaler

2 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Postby cyborg_ninja » 24 Feb 2012, 13:05

Impaler wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:Tommy lives in the US.

Well, that explains why he's getting taxed by the U.S., then! Having a different citizenship isn't going to do anything if your income is being earned in the U.S. and/or you're resident there, and in fact it would cause all sorts of other tax problems. I seem to recall that there's mandatory withholding for certain transactions if someone is an alien, whereas a U.S. citizen just pays when he files his taxes.

Um... US citizens get taxed by the IRS if they work overseas.

the WSJ has a good article on the issue

http://blogs.wsj.com/hong-kong/2011/03/ ... d-through/
cyborg_ninja
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

4 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Tigerman » 24 Feb 2012, 13:26

cyborg_ninja wrote:Um... US citizens get taxed by the IRS if they work overseas.

Um... US citizens must report income earned overseas. They do not necessarily get taxed on such income.

A little knowledge is, as they say, dangerous.
As it is, we seem to regard it as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has taken one side or the other. We regard it (in other words) as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has contrived to reach the object of his reasoning. We call a man a bigot or a slave of dogma because he is a thinker who has thought thoroughly and to a definite end.

Forumosan avatar
Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

221 Recommends(s)
135 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Greater Forumosa