I miss Chinese food dreadfully

Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Forum rules
Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Keyword searches: Shanghai

I miss Chinese food dreadfully

Postby beautifulspam » 04 Dec 2007, 12:43

It got so bad yesterday that I cooked pao mian and cracked two raw eggs into it like they do in internet cafes. Please, does anyone know a china town near Blacksburg, Virginia? If it's within a day's drive I may make a day trip for the hot pot and rice sausage.
I am your mom and I just took you to school in the car of pain.

Prepare for the fury of three thousand tiny, lightning-fast punches.
Forumosan avatar
beautifulspam
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby redandy » 04 Dec 2007, 23:11

Good luck....I know decent Chinese food can be had in the D.C. area if you know where to look, but that's probably more like a weekend trip from Blacksburg. There is a hot pot place on 355 in Rockville, MD called Bob's 88.
redandy
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 04 Dec 2007, 23:16

I'm in HK and I miss decent Taiwan food! The rice . . . san bei ji . . . the Sichuan . . . zizhu can . . .

HG
I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately. Oh fark it! I'm a monster! I admit it!
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 04 Dec 2007, 23:22

Sorry, spam! I know how you feel.

Maybe it's time to learn to cook the good stuff yourself? It's not that hard, really. Name a food and we can offer recipes. Sanbeiji isn't tough, fer instance.
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, & cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients, as well as many of those ingredients themselves, at our shop in Donghu (Neihu). Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

36 Recommends(s)
92 Recognized(s)

Postby Joesox » 04 Dec 2007, 23:30

Dragonbones wrote:Sanbeiji isn't tough, fer instance.
Reminds me of a joke. Guy is eating kung pao chicken in a Chinese restaurant and calls the waiter to say "This chicken's rubbery!" The waiter says "I'm berry grad you rike it!"

:oops: :oops: :oops:
I'm leaving now...
Joesox
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

7 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 04 Dec 2007, 23:34

Dragonbones wrote:Sorry, spam! I know how you feel.

Maybe it's time to learn to cook the good stuff yourself? It's not that hard, really. Name a food and we can offer recipes. Sanbeiji isn't tough, fer instance.

Well aside from letting her rub Kiwi polish into my suede shoes, what the hell would I do with the maid? Erhm, given the recent rash of outings, and your own sorry record, I suggest you not answer that.

:lol:

HG
I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately. Oh fark it! I'm a monster! I admit it!
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 05 Dec 2007, 00:32

BTW, spam, please don't eat raw eggs. It's extremely dangerous. Yeah, they do it here, but out of ignorence. It isn't like the days of Rocky. Modern egg factories are breeding grounds for all kinds of nasty bugs. Cook all eggs thoroughly. No sunny side up. Well done is the only safe option.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

635 Recognized(s)

Postby Tyc00n » 05 Dec 2007, 02:11

Except Caviar and turtle eggs.
Forumosan avatar
Tyc00n
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby sjcma » 05 Dec 2007, 03:04

Muzha Man wrote:BTW, spam, please don't eat raw eggs. It's extremely dangerous. Yeah, they do it here, but out of ignorence. It isn't like the days of Rocky. Modern egg factories are breeding grounds for all kinds of nasty bugs. Cook all eggs thoroughly. No sunny side up. Well done is the only safe option.

But...but...a well done egg as a base for a hotpot sauce just doesn't taste quite the same....
If you aren’t failing, then you aren’t trying hard enough.
Forumosan avatar
sjcma
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby ac_dropout » 05 Dec 2007, 05:27

Yeah the sha-cha bbq sauce will kill all the germs in the raw egg. Consult a Chinese medical doctor and they will turn a blind eye to say the least.

Which reminds me, I once went to an all you can eat hot-pot place, but they charged extra for the sha-cha bbq sauce. That's outrageous. It would be like an all you can eat hot-dog place charging extra for the ketchup.

:fume:
ac_dropout
Suspended (bèi jìnle)
Suspended (bèi jìnle)

Next

x

Return to Greater Forumosa