I miss Chinese food dreadfully

Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Forum rules
Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Keyword searches: Shanghai

Re: I miss Chinese food dreadfully

Postby 914 » 08 Feb 2011, 02:15

I can't seem to find the right kind of noodles for liang2 mian4 (cold noodles). Dressing and garnish is easy. I always end up using spaghetti or angel hair pasta cooked al dente but it ain't da same, know what I mean?

What's the name of the noodle they use for liang mian? Very yellow in color, and doesn't seem to swell up as much as angel hair pasta does. Ideas?
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 08 Feb 2011, 11:16

I think it's 油麵.
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

331 Recommends(s)
325 Recognized(s)

Postby jonnyspermz » 11 Jul 2011, 21:53

Seven years of heaven to my palate living on that lovely little island; now I've been back in NY for nearly a year, and I'm realizing that American-style Chinese cuisine doesn't hold a candle to that which Taiwan has to offer.

I have been enjoying myself, frequenting various Chinese restaurants near my job, school, home, etc. -- and every time I do, I break into my piecemeal Mandarin as soon as possible. I think I missed that gracious (and pitying) ambiance of the lao-ban + lao-ban-niang, as they correct my mistakes but also take a little bit of joy that I'm trying to communicate in their native tongue.

That said, until I head out to Flushing, Queens to take in the Taiwanese eateries out there (and catch a Met game), I think I'm stuck with Cantonese and Scechwan "zhong-guo tsai." I'd eat (another) bowl of rooster testes soup if someone could direct me to a place to get soup dumplings, beef noodle soup and/or a real Taiwanese BBQ! What was that Frog place called again, all over the 'Wan? Loved that outdoor, all you can eat/drink TW BBQ spot.

Ah ... memories.
"I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick 'Americans' as their mascot." - J.H.
jonnyspermz
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recommends(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Greater Forumosa