Hot Springs in Melbourne & around the World

Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Forum rules
Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Keyword searches: Shanghai

Hot Springs in Melbourne & around the World

Postby Limey » 16 Mar 2008, 05:36

Yup, believe it or not we found a hot spring place about an hour outside of Melbourne! I've just finished a very long month of +70 hour weeks so I needed to unwind and this place is excellent.

If you are coming to Melbourne you'd need a car to get there, but it is worth it. The food was excellent too.

http://www.peninsularhotsprings.com

I never knew hot springs existed outside of Asia until my wife found this place, I'm very very glad she did.

Which other unlikely locations have hot springs that you've been to?

L :D
If A equals success then the formula is: A=X+Y+Z; where X is work, Y is play and Z is keep your mouth shut.

A. Einstein
Forumosan avatar
Limey
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Mucha Man » 16 Mar 2008, 09:45

My home province of BC has many. Some of the wild ones are pretty fun especially if you arrive to see a bear or moose soaking first.

I was very surprised to see hot springs in Tibet.

BTW, you have to take me to the Melbourne place next time I'm in town.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

887 Recognized(s)

Postby Quentin » 16 Mar 2008, 14:26

My hometown was an internationally famous resort for the wealthy around the turn of the century, for the medicinal properties of taking hot baths. It was Al Capone's favorite holiday destination and he made it his informal Southern headquarters. The bath houses on Bathhouse Row, as the street is called, are considered landmarks and have been lovingly preserved as examples of Victorian-era architecture.

Those open air springs of hot water are all over downtown. Many people take empty milk jugs and fill'em up with the healthy, natural mineral water available at public taps for free.

Oh, BTW, the name of the town is - naturally - Hot Springs. It's the only U.S. national park located in an urban area.
Forumosan avatar
Quentin
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby Limey » 18 Mar 2008, 13:55

Muzha Man wrote:
BTW, you have to take me to the Melbourne place next time I'm in town.

Of course! I've got wheels now which makes getting around a bit easier.

L

:D
If A equals success then the formula is: A=X+Y+Z; where X is work, Y is play and Z is keep your mouth shut.

A. Einstein
Forumosan avatar
Limey

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Sophia101 » 15 Jun 2008, 21:30

http://www.leogroup.com.tw/index.html

The owner is a friend of my elder friend, he treat us several meals and living.
Sophia101
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 15 Jun 2008, 21:50

Limey, that link sent me on a wild goose chase. Was that in Mornington Peninsular? Not been there, but I have been to Hepburn/Daylesford.

Set in the scenic Macedon Ranges 110km north of Melbourne, Hepburn Springs and the adjoining town of Daylesford can be considered the spa centre of Australia. Together the two towns boast half of the nation’s known mineral springs which arise from a 450-million-year-old volcanic basin.

Sophia101, yes that Leo place is quite funky. Stayed there a few years back.

HG
I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately. Oh fark it! I'm a monster! I admit it!
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 15 Jun 2008, 21:53

lots of hot springs in NZ, especially North Island.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

226 Recommends(s)
279 Recognized(s)

Postby Sophia101 » 15 Jun 2008, 22:25

Huang Guang Chen, I don't think so. The owner made his own cactus wine and treated us. The red wine tasted like sweet cocktail and might be popular with women. I think the meals and wine were delicious(they ever treated exPresident Chen the same meals), but all warm water was salty when taking a shower. They took the hot spring water from the seashore directly.

Everbody should try this special hot spring, and talk a long walk on the rocky seashore paths. The sunrise in the morning is very beautiful.
Sophia101
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Mr He » 17 Jun 2008, 10:14

Sophia101 wrote:http://www.leogroup.com.tw/index.html

The owner is a friend of my elder friend, he treat us several meals and living.

Dear Sophia,

I am a hot spring freak. (Shhh, don't tell anyone)

Do they have access to the big pools only, and what's the price for a ticket?
Jeg er hvad jeg er.

Bring Zain back!
Mr He
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

77 Recommends(s)
104 Recognized(s)

Postby Omniloquacious » 17 Jun 2008, 12:08

Sophia101 wrote: The owner made his own cactus wine and treated us.

I had a bottle of that wine with my dinner there on Christmas Day, and liked it very much. And although the wife and I were the only guests there that day, the chef cooked up a splendid vegetarian meal for me and an equally splendid seafood one for the wife.

Leo is currently my favourite hotel in Taiwan, and I'm longing to go back and stay there again as soon as the baby is big enough to go out and about.
Forumosan avatar
Omniloquacious
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

69 Recommends(s)
211 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Greater Forumosa