Damn, I miss Taiwan!

Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Forum rules
Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Keyword searches: Shanghai

Damn, I miss Taiwan!

Postby Baas Babelaas » 19 Apr 2008, 12:09

Yep, I miss 'The Rock'.

Been away for two and a bit years, mostly in China.

Everything here is just that little bit less pleasant/useful/nice etc.

I miss my scooter, I miss my students, I miss the easy money, I miss access to mountains and beaches (the beach here is nice, the water is too filthy to swim in), I miss the semblance of order (yes, it's much worse in China), I miss well educated people (they're parrots here), damn I even miss scooter punks (they're bicycle punks here).

I had some rough times in Taiwan, but I remember the good stuff mostly. Every day is a struggle here - the hardcore staring, the overcrowded streets, the stares, the permanent construction, the stares, the feeling that what you're eating/drinking isn't what it says it is, the stares (which are hardening now - nationalism is surging here).

Yeah, in a bit I hope to back in Taiwan, for a visit at least, try to track down my students, who will be all grown up, maybe hire a car and do a month long tour of the island (something I never did when I was there).

Yeah, The Rock aint a bad place at all..
Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
9 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby Buttercup » 19 Apr 2008, 19:15

I miss it too.

I'm trying to use my time in the UK to regroup and formulate my next plan. The city is vile; vulgar, dirty, unfriendly and very very boring. Trying to get out to the countryside a lot. Enjoying red deer.
'Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof'

Before you lovingly craft your PM, make like any writer and consider your audience. With all the information at your disposal, is there any possibility that the recipient will open it? Would your time be better employed?
Buttercup
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby almas john » 19 Apr 2008, 19:27

Good God, what a depressing thread. It's like having fellow inmates of Alcatraz make a successful break then write back to those still imprisoned to say they miss captivity.
almas john
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

24 Recommends(s)
60 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 19 Apr 2008, 19:30

Heck, even Alcatraz has a lovely view of San Francisco.
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby Baas Babelaas » 19 Apr 2008, 19:33

AJ, often prisoners have trouble readjusting to life on the outside and repeat offend, just to get back to the place/system they know :p
Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas

ORIGINAL POSTER
9 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby Buttercup » 19 Apr 2008, 19:44

I wasn't imprisoned in Taiwan. I loved living there. I left almost entirely because I couldn't stand my job, and because the EFL industry in Taiwan was bugging me. I couldn't find a way to stay and create a better career than the horrible one I had. Wasn't prepared to give up on life and settle for flushing my head down the toilet by teaching exam prep to elementary/preint level students for ever and ever amen.

If I'd had a viable way of getting a visa and an income, without cutting off my ear, then I'd still have been there. The rest of my life was great and I'm missing my friends so much.

Never mind, though, there's a lot of other stuff to do in the world.

(btw, this is not to insult anyone who does the job and loves it, it was just wrongwrongwrong for me. I'm teaching very similar stuff in a different environment, and I'm starting to remember why I started teaching at the start of my career. )
'Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof'

Before you lovingly craft your PM, make like any writer and consider your audience. With all the information at your disposal, is there any possibility that the recipient will open it? Would your time be better employed?
Buttercup
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby Baas Babelaas » 19 Apr 2008, 20:15

For me, my students were the ones that kept me there on the dark days when I wanted to up and leave. They were small bundles of pure joy.

And I'm glad I stayed for three years. I was ready for a break after that though.

I'm still trying to figure out why I came to China though - so totally different to Taiwan, in so many ways. No love for this place, no affection, no joy. Just grim will to get through a few more months, then onto a place with a good quality of life and where the people smile.
Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas

ORIGINAL POSTER
9 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby almas john » 19 Apr 2008, 20:17

BB wrote:
AJ, often prisoners have trouble readjusting to life on the outside and repeat offend, just to get back to the place/system they know Sticking my tongue out...

Yes, I read about your "repeat offending" in the thread you started about the dangers of too much shagging. I hadn't realized that there was an element of criminality to the activities.

Anyway Mate, as a resident of the Glorious Middle Kingdom you have a valid excuse for missing Taiwan.

And as for Buttercup, if you miss Taiwan so much, you can always come back. Or, if it is mostly a matter of missing friends, I could pop the Chief, Loretta and a few others in a box and mail them to you.
almas john

24 Recommends(s)
60 Recognized(s)

Postby Namahottie » 20 Apr 2008, 01:08

Buttercup wrote:I wasn't imprisoned in Taiwan. I loved living there. I left almost entirely because I couldn't stand my job, and because the EFL industry in Taiwan was bugging me. I couldn't find a way to stay and create a better career than the horrible one I had. Wasn't prepared to give up on life and settle for flushing my head down the toilet by teaching exam prep to elementary/preint level students for ever and ever amen.

Amen!

I while my time there was overshadowed by severe depression, I still had moments that out shine now. Being able to look back over a year's time and see growth was the best! Riding my scooter, speaking Chinese, etc... I still plan to come back, and hope its before I hit 40. :eek:

TC:

Heck, even Alcatraz has a lovely view of San Francisco.
:lol:
@michellemalkin Just so we're perfectly fucking clear here: You're a crazy fucking shitwad. Enjoy your night. Read more at @MayorEmanuel
Namahottie
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 20 Apr 2008, 12:09

almas john wrote:...And as for Buttercup, if you miss Taiwan so much, you can always come back.

An interesting variation on the usual theme:

Look, if you like it so much here, then why don't you just

COME BACK!!! :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume:
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

804 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Greater Forumosa