Californication

Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Forum rules
Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Keyword searches: Shanghai

Re: Californication

Postby Mother Theresa » 30 Jun 2009, 12:40

tommy525 wrote:Yosemite is indeed pretty grand. But I think theres only one hotel there? And it is like 500 bucks a night plus being fully booked too. Basically most people bring a tent I think?

We just did a day trip from SF. Bit of a long drive but still was fun to go..


Day trip from SF? That's nuts. It's only a 4 hour drive (each way), but we stayed 3 nights and even that seemed just barely long enough. Next time I hope to stay at least 5 nights and maybe climb to the top of Half Dome (up the back, not the face).

The expensive hotel -- that's the 100 year-old Awhanee, and I'll bet it's very nice. I'll look into that next time (and hopefully can find a room for half the price you quoted). But, there are lots of other options.

Here's a few within the park itself.
http://www.yosemitepark.com/Accommodations.aspx

And there are various hotels, etc., just outside the park boundaries. For example, we were unfortunately too late to get lodging in the Valley, so we stayed at this popular place:
http://www.yosemitebug.com/

The rooms were decent, food was good, nice setting in the woods, and it's an easy 45 minute bus ride into the Valley. Then in the Valley there's a free shuttle bus to lots of major sites and trailheads.
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 12159
Joined: 13 Sep 2002, 07:53
Location: Taipei
14 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)



Re: Californication

Postby Chewycorns » 30 Jun 2009, 12:59

It's beautiful MT, but you should never brag about natural beauty to a Canadian or Norweigan or like nationality where there is lots of natural beauty within their home country.

I'm sure Yosemite is nice, but is it as nice as say a Tofino or Lake Louise or Jasper? :ponder: Don't think so and it probably has way more crowds. Jasper held such an allure to US Supreme Court Justice Charles Evans Hughes, that he visited there every summer for over 50 years.


Image

Image

Image
Forumosan avatar
Chewycorns
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
 
Posts: 5644
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 09:38
Location: Back in the Great Wide Open
1 Recognized(s)



Re: Californication

Postby tommy525 » 30 Jun 2009, 13:06

Mother Theresa wrote:
tommy525 wrote:Yosemite is indeed pretty grand. But I think theres only one hotel there? And it is like 500 bucks a night plus being fully booked too. Basically most people bring a tent I think?

We just did a day trip from SF. Bit of a long drive but still was fun to go..


Day trip from SF? That's nuts. It's only a 4 hour drive (each way), but we stayed 3 nights and even that seemed just barely long enough. Next time I hope to stay at least 5 nights and maybe climb to the top of Half Dome (up the back, not the face).

The expensive hotel -- that's the 100 year-old Awhanee, and I'll bet it's very nice. I'll look into that next time (and hopefully can find a room for half the price you quoted). But, there are lots of other options.

Here's a few within the park itself.
http://www.yosemitepark.com/Accommodations.aspx

And there are various hotels, etc., just outside the park boundaries. For example, we were unfortunately too late to get lodging in the Valley, so we stayed at this popular place:
http://www.yosemitebug.com/

The rooms were decent, food was good, nice setting in the woods, and it's an easy 45 minute bus ride into the Valley. Then in the Valley there's a free shuttle bus to lots of major sites and trailheads.


Yup it was a pretty crazy idea driving there and back in one day from SF and basically meant a whole lotta time in the car. But it was with a brit friend of mine and his American GF and both of them didnt really have a clue bout Yosemite and I had even less of an idea. But hey, at least I did go. Otherwise I may still have not gone. We did do quite a bit too. Did a hike, saw the waterfall, and half dome and el capitan (driving around), got our feet wet in a stream and had a buffalo burger on the way back , all for just the price of gas and the price of admission to the park.

Thanks for the links on housing, in case i ever get the urge to get back out there. But honestly it was all too much nature for me.
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 18052
Joined: 14 Sep 2006, 17:25
Location: calif baby !
581 Recommends(s)
367 Recognized(s)



Re: Californication

Postby Durins Bane » 30 Jun 2009, 21:22

MT,

Those are beautiful pictures. California is indeed a special place.

We're on our way to one of the cradles of civilization tomorrow....Berkeley and SF.

California rocks.
Guns don't kill people...magic missles do.

My first level orc is smarter than your honor student.
Durins Bane
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
 
Posts: 4308
Joined: 05 Nov 2002, 19:59
7 Recognized(s)



Re: Californication

Postby MJB » 30 Jun 2009, 22:20

Chewycorns wrote:I'm sure Yosemite is nice, but is it as nice as say a Tofino or Lake Louise or Jasper? :ponder: Don't think so and it probably has way more crowds. Jasper held such an allure to US Supreme Court Justice Charles Evans Hughes, that he visited there every summer for over 50 years.


It's nicer....Sorry man, Yosemite may have the crowds, but the scenery/wild granite formations/wildlife/backpacking trails/waterfalls/skiing/vistas/river and lake cleanliness are all better in the Sierra Nevada my friend.

California rocks.
Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit
MJB
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
 
Posts: 2960
Joined: 16 Sep 2003, 02:08
Location: Either 20 meters under or on my bike
6 Recognized(s)



Re: Californication

Postby MJB » 30 Jun 2009, 22:42

tommy525 wrote:Next time I want to do it in summer time and take the supposedly very very scenic highway 120 tioga pass road to lee vining on the equally famous highway 395. There are motels at lee vining i understand. Highway 395 is open most of the time but highway 120 is shut down all winter. Open months vary depending on the weather. But i understand the drive is well worth it.


There's not much in Lee Vining but Mono lake and especially the awesome ghost town of Bodie are well worth a visit. From there it's only a short drive south on 395 down to Mammoth lakes. Devils Postpile, the upper lakes, the whole area is fantastic.

Tioga pass maxes out right at 10,000feet. Climbing out of the valley offers spectacular vistas, but once out and looking eastward it's like a moonscape. Well worth the drive, but it's going to take much, much longer than 4 hours from SF.

When I was 14 my cousin and I backpacked into Yosemite from Mammoth lakes...Took us a week. The valley floor may be packed with tourists, but it's easy enough to get away from them. We did this 70mile hike in the summer of 75, and we saw 2 people in 7 days. On the third night, a wolverine ate most of our food despite being tied up 30feet in a tree. The area is very remote.

The Sierra's offer so much, from the Sequoia National forest to the dry volcanic regions of Mt Lassen to a 14,000foot volcano (Mt Shasta) to the granite pillars of glacially formed Yosemite. Some of the largest and oldest trees in the world are separated only by one mountain range and highway 395. Then there is Death Valley, the Ruby mountain range east of the Sierra's, nearly as high, and much less visited. You could spend weeks exploring the area and barely scratch the surface.
Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit
MJB
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
 
Posts: 2960
Joined: 16 Sep 2003, 02:08
Location: Either 20 meters under or on my bike
6 Recognized(s)



Re: Californication

Postby tommy525 » 01 Jul 2009, 04:40

Yup that area is pristine and very nice. Thanks for your description. Id like to drive 395 after an overnite in south lake tahoe and then stop in yosemite for a night or two and then head back westwards, or if have the time get back out to 395 and head south as you said.

Interesting that in North America its pretty rare to hit 10,000 feet high on a road and yet on Taiwan you can hit 10,000 feet driving from Lishan to Tayuling (if the ol noggin is correct) . My telstar 1.8T with its 3 speed auto went down to 500 rpm and I was afraid it wasn't going to go over the top but it did and thank you Lord , made it over the hump and zipped down. Meantime being passed by 5 people in frickin charades that have a stick shift going UP!! Theres something to be said for stick shift in the hills.
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 18052
Joined: 14 Sep 2006, 17:25
Location: calif baby !
581 Recommends(s)
367 Recognized(s)



Re: Californication

Postby Durins Bane » 01 Jul 2009, 10:10

MJB wrote:The Sierra's offer so much, from the Sequoia National forest....


45 minutes away from Mom's place (55 minutes from mine). Why don't you get your furry red arse out here to visit?
Guns don't kill people...magic missles do.

My first level orc is smarter than your honor student.
Durins Bane
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
 
Posts: 4308
Joined: 05 Nov 2002, 19:59
7 Recognized(s)



Re: Californication

Postby Freakin' Amazing » 03 Jul 2009, 17:56

tommy525 wrote:Yup that area is pristine and very nice. Thanks for your description. Id like to drive 395 after an overnite in south lake tahoe and then stop in yosemite for a night or two and then head back westwards, or if have the time get back out to 395 and head south as you said.

Interesting that in North America its pretty rare to hit 10,000 feet high on a road and yet on Taiwan you can hit 10,000 feet driving from Lishan to Tayuling (if the ol noggin is correct) . My telstar 1.8T with its 3 speed auto went down to 500 rpm and I was afraid it wasn't going to go over the top but it did and thank you Lord , made it over the hump and zipped down. Meantime being passed by 5 people in frickin charades that have a stick shift going UP!! Theres something to be said for stick shift in the hills.


You haven't been to Colorado or Utah or Wyoming have you? I just got back and I think I hit about 12-14 passes at or near 10 000 ft, including Mt Evan's @ 14 000 ft. :cool:

It's nicer....Sorry man, Yosemite may have the crowds, but the scenery/wild granite formations/wildlife/backpacking trails/waterfalls/skiing/vistas/river and lake cleanliness are all better in the Sierra Nevada my friend.

California rocks.


I'll skip the pontless sword fight on which is better, but you of all people should know the best way to see the Sierra's is on two wheels. THAT's what sets it apart from Canada/Scandinavia and I can only assume be approached by the Alps. Simply superbly engineered roads in great condition w/ great scenery and great weather. I'd also suggest you check the KoolAid on "biggest trees" etc the Park Rangers in Sequioia spey! :wink:
One step closer to omnipotence.

And yes, I'm fully aware it takes several raindrops to fill an empty lake...
Forumosan avatar
Freakin' Amazing
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 335
Joined: 05 Jun 2004, 06:31
Location: SZ



Re: Californication

Postby Mother Theresa » 21 Feb 2010, 17:11

Just returned this morning from California and thought I'd share a few shots of the beauty we enjoyed.

Looking out over the Bay from the Berkeley hills.

Image

Facing the other direction. The huge and magnificent Tilden Park.

Image

Took a side trip up Napa Valley (to Calistoga) and climbed a small hill behind our hotel for this view.

Image

Surreal trees on the way down that hill.

Image

As always, the visit left me looking forward to some day returning for good, though that'll be in the distant future.
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 12159
Joined: 13 Sep 2002, 07:53
Location: Taipei
14 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext




Proceed to Greater Forumosa



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 2 visitors

On the iPhone, hit the Space bar twice at the end of a sentence. You get a period, a space, and a capitalized letter at the beginning of the next word.
More tips from David Pogue