Concerts you've seen since you returned

Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Forum rules
Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Keyword searches: Shanghai

Concerts you've seen since you returned

Postby Tert Card » 16 Jan 2010, 13:02

One thing I definitely enjoy about being back home is being able to see decent live music, according to my tastes. I never did acquire a taste for WuBai or S.H.E. or Mayday or the countless, nameless, cheesy cover bands that haunt the bars of Taiwan. Here in Toronto, you can see great music all the time. I live about a two minute walk from the Elmocambo; a club that can hold about 200 max. Last summer, Queens of the Stone Age played there, though I didn't get in.
Anyway, these are bands I've seen here since I've been back that I doubt will ever pass through Taiwan; Dinosaur Jr., Sloan, Autechre, My Bloody Valentine (the best!), Weezer, Ladytron, and Motorhead (Lemmy, now in his fifties, rocks). Anyone else care to chime in?
Tert Card
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Concerts you've seen since you returned

Postby Buttercup » 16 Jan 2010, 16:58

The Fall, The Wedding Present, Gogol Bordello, Florence and the Machine (don't ask. sister made me go.), James McMurtry, Lou Reed. Some thing with Shaun Ryder. Missed out on Bob Dylan and Magazine unfortunately, and I also couldn't get a ticket for Ian Brown.

Also seen productions of la Traviata, Cosi fan Tutti and Don Giovanni.

Never seen Patti Smith. Really really want to.
'Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof'

Before you lovingly craft your PM, make like any writer and consider your audience. With all the information at your disposal, is there any possibility that the recipient will open it? Would your time be better employed?
Buttercup
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby TwoTongues » 16 Jan 2010, 17:40

Most foreign bands and plays seem to have exorbitant prices for even mediocre seats - the egg and hsinjuang seem to cost at least 3800 and up for these shows. I've wanted to see Mamma Mia and Feet of Flames, GnR and Lou Reed, but I can't justify those $$$ here - anyone know a way (online, scalpers, etc) to get tix more reasonably priced?
"Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber." - The Dude
Forumosan avatar
TwoTongues
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Tert Card » 17 Jan 2010, 00:00

Buttercup wrote:The Fall, The Wedding Present, Gogol Bordello, Florence and the Machine (don't ask. sister made me go.), James McMurtry, Lou Reed. Some thing with Shaun Ryder. Missed out on Bob Dylan and Magazine unfortunately, and I also couldn't get a ticket for Ian Brown.

Also seen productions of la Traviata, Cosi fan Tutti and Don Giovanni.

Never seen Patti Smith. Really really want to.

The Fall and Magazine...two of my favourites, nice.
Tert Card

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Yoman Prince » 30 Mar 2010, 08:11

I saw Blue Rodeo and Hawksley Workman for FREE during the Olympics in Vancouver.
Yoman Prince
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby Yoman Prince » 01 Aug 2010, 14:30

I finally got to see TOOL!!! :discodance:
Yoman Prince

Postby Deuce Dropper » 01 Aug 2010, 14:38

lucky

one of the worst things about being in TW is the lack of a live music culture (that is of course unless you like seeing some local 8 piece play 'La Vida Loca' on a Saturday night). Thailand and the Philippines (well, especially the Philippines) have much better house bands, live shows and musicians who are true disciples of rock and roll.

That being said, there has been a huge spike in big name foreign acts playing Taipei in the last year.

People are starting to realize they can make money playing here, and I think more and more bands will come as live performances are one of the only revenue streams left for music artists with the onset on online piracy.

The ticket prices are ridiculous, but the good news about that is it will draw more and more bands here, and hopefully someday, everyone that plans on touring Australia or Japan will stop in Taipei for an extra paycheck.
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

88 Recommends(s)
441 Recognized(s)

Postby Yoman Prince » 05 Aug 2010, 15:36

True deuce. Seeing Tool was almost worth the move back, by itself.
You are right about more and more big names coming to Taiwan. Seeing Phillip Glass, Tristan & Isolde and Diana Krall (all in Taipei) was pretty cool. And I had more disposable income there so it didn't feel as expensive. :)
Yoman Prince

Postby Highway Star » 25 Aug 2010, 21:22

Roger Waters- excellent!
Paul Weller ex The Jam /Style Council- average

Going to:
Peter Hook (ex Joy Division) next month
Metallica
Roxy Music in Feb 11
U2 in 2011

Great variety of gigs here in Oz, but very expensive :(
I shot Chen Shuibian!
Forumosan avatar
Highway Star
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

Postby jimipresley » 25 Aug 2010, 21:24

Highway Star, you have the BEST avatar on f.com! :bow:
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

986 Recommends(s)
373 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Greater Forumosa