I am in Shanghai and I miss Taiwan

Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Forum rules
Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Keyword searches: Shanghai

Re: I am in Shanghai and i miss Taiwan

Postby Black Country Woman » 16 Jul 2010, 22:32

I'm in Ho Chi Minh City and really miss Taiwan.......affordable apartments, no fracking roosters crowing night and day, good healthcare, squillions of dry cleaners, shops, 7-11, the MRT, fast clean buses, relative sanity practised by motorcycle drivers (no, really)

Life on the rock is underestimated.............. :2cents:
Forumosan avatar
Black Country Woman
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

4 Recommends(s)

Postby jimipresley » 16 Jul 2010, 22:43

Black Country Woman wrote:I'm in Ho Chi Minh City and really miss Taiwan.......affordable apartments, no fracking roosters crowing night and day, good healthcare, squillions of dry cleaners, shops, 7-11, the MRT, fast clean buses, relative sanity practised by motorcycle drivers (no, really)

You just don't understand Vietnamese culture.
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

977 Recommends(s)
366 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 16 Jul 2010, 22:53

Shanghai is crappy, but Vietnam?? oooooh I would spend all day just walking around, taking in sights, sounds and good Indian food!
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

362 Recommends(s)
116 Recognized(s)

Postby Baas Babelaas » 16 Jul 2010, 22:58

but Vietnam?? oooooh I would spend all day just walking around, taking in sights, sounds and good Indian food!

Good for a vacation and sightseeing, maybe not so good for living? I haven't been yet, but I've met a few jaded folk who left Vietnam after a while - the craziness of it all got to them..
Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

9 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 16 Jul 2010, 22:59

jimipresley wrote:
Black Country Woman wrote:I'm in Ho Chi Minh City and really miss Taiwan.......affordable apartments, no fracking roosters crowing night and day, good healthcare, squillions of dry cleaners, shops, 7-11, the MRT, fast clean buses, relative sanity practised by motorcycle drivers (no, really)

You just don't understand Vietnamese culture.

I think the poster meant to use this :cactus: instead of this :2cents: at the end of that post. :whistle:
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
141 Recognized(s)

Postby Black Country Woman » 16 Jul 2010, 23:47

divea wrote:Shanghai is crappy, but Vietnam?? oooooh I would spend all day just walking around, taking in sights, sounds and good Indian food!

food is great, I admit. And my neighbourhood is an intriguing place. General level of English is much higher than Taiwan which I can't figure out. But walking around is not feasible - broken dusty sidewalks frequently used by motorbikes to get round traffic jams (gridlock). Almost nil traffic law enforcement. The most dangerous roads/ driving I've ever seen. Some reports are 33 deaths a day.
Forumosan avatar
Black Country Woman

4 Recommends(s)

Postby Black Country Woman » 16 Jul 2010, 23:50

And no Vietnamosa...................I can't find anything!!!! :lol:
Forumosan avatar
Black Country Woman

4 Recommends(s)

Postby divea » 17 Jul 2010, 00:44

Black Country Woman wrote:And no Vietnamosa...................I can't find anything!!!! :lol:

Then DIY :lol:
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea

362 Recommends(s)
116 Recognized(s)

Postby twonavels » 17 Jul 2010, 14:23

No, it's not! I love every minute of it! I love the big insects and the convenience of it all and how everyone has great skin and beautiful hair. This be paradise.
Forumosan avatar
twonavels

4 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 17 Jul 2010, 14:46

twonavels wrote:

No, it's not! I love every minute of it! I love the big insects and the convenience of it all and how everyone has great skin and beautiful hair. This be paradise.

where ? HCM city or Taipei?
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

566 Recommends(s)
361 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Greater Forumosa