From the East to the West within the eye of an Eurasian

Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Forum rules
Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Keyword searches: Shanghai

Re: From the East to the West within the eye of an Eurasian

Postby bob » 08 Aug 2010, 16:26

He knows there are blue eyed kids in his family tree so he "could" know whether or not the parents were mixed or not. I say "could" because while you always know who the mother is you don't always know who the father is. Some aboriginee people reckon lineage matrilineally for precisely that reason. In annonymous questionaires something like ten (maybe twenty) percent of mothers will admit to parenting a child with someone other than their spouse.
bob
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

21 Recognized(s)

Postby Mr He » 08 Aug 2010, 20:08

I don't know the particulars of all that, however they all look very Asian in her family, even the person with one blue and one brown eye.

Any mixing must have happened a long time ago, and my wife would not know the details.
Jeg er hvad jeg er.

Bring Zain back!
Mr He
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

61 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 08 Aug 2010, 20:31

The one brown and one blue is almost certainly a somatic mutation, means a non-inherited mutation in the body's cells after the embryo's cells started dividing, most likely one brown gene got turned off allowing the blue to show through. You can see the same thing in some dogs and cats.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1737 Recommends(s)
623 Recognized(s)

Postby Minling » 09 Mar 2014, 12:16

I find your case fascinating since I've seen many mixed Eurasian children/people living in San Francisco Bay Area, but I've never seen one that's full blond. Genetically it is unlikely since you are 50% your mother who is Asian. Please don't take this the wrong way, but a picture of your mother would really help. :)
Minling
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby BigJohn » 09 Mar 2014, 14:16

Minling wrote:I find your case fascinating since I've seen many mixed Eurasian children/people living in San Francisco Bay Area, but I've never seen one that's full blond. Genetically it is impossible since you are 50% your mother who is Asian. Please don't take this the wrong way, but a picture of your mother would really help. :)

Hi MInling,

Please note that the last post before yours was almost 4 years ago. The people involved may have lost interest in it.
Forumosan avatar
BigJohn
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

1 Recommends(s)
118 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 09 Mar 2014, 17:55

Minling wrote:I find your case fascinating since I've seen many mixed Eurasian children/people living in San Francisco Bay Area, but I've never seen one that's full blond. Genetically it is impossible since you are 50% your mother who is Asian. Please don't take this the wrong way, but a picture of your mother would really help. :)

It's not impossible, it's perfectly possible, just RARE,

There's a difference.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1737 Recommends(s)
623 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Greater Forumosa