What Next After Taiwan?

Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Forum rules
Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Keyword searches: Shanghai

Re: What Next After Taiwan?

Postby scarab1169 » 24 Oct 2010, 07:14

Thanx :) Appreciate it :thumbsup:
scarab1169
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby bismarck » 24 Oct 2010, 14:40

scarab1169 wrote:Thanx :) Appreciate it :thumbsup:

No worries, boet. Best of luck.
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
141 Recognized(s)

Postby Satellite TV » 04 Nov 2010, 20:01

saddletramp wrote:Not sure if this belongs here? But it is part of my questioning "What next?"

As you all probally know, the PRC does not accept dual citizenship. If Ma does the dirty deed, what will be the outcome for our kids?
Do we renounce their ROC citizenship, or their (ours) other one? .

I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself. Ma isnt going to do anything and secondly, when HK returned to China all the Honkies with dual nationality are allowed to keep it, as they also don't actually have PRC Citizenship.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby bismarck » 05 Nov 2010, 00:41

Double Post... Piesay...
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
141 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 05 Nov 2010, 00:42

Satellite TV wrote:
saddletramp wrote:Not sure if this belongs here? But it is part of my questioning "What next?"

As you all probally know, the PRC does not accept dual citizenship. If Ma does the dirty deed, what will be the outcome for our kids?

I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself. Ma isnt going to do anything and secondly, when HK returned to China all the Honkies with dual nationality are allowed to keep it, as they also don't actually have PRC Citizenship.

Kind of a "We (PRC) own the land, but you f***ers (HK'ers) are foreigners..." sort of deal. :ponder:

Nice...
Sir Winston Churchill

Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
141 Recognized(s)

Postby Mother Theresa » 09 Nov 2010, 12:48

So, if you could land a job "back home" at twice what you're earning in Taiwan would you take it? Would you move back?

Funny how one might hesitate and wonder if twice ones present salary would be enough to survive on.

More importantly, strange how this shithole -- any shithole -- grows on a person over the years, and "back home" turns to a shithole in many respects, or at least becomes unknown and uncertain, and even though you could never imagine yourself staying here another few decades until death, the idea of moving back almost seems like just too much hassle. Almost.
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

14 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby Jack Burton » 09 Nov 2010, 13:48

bismarck wrote:
Satellite TV wrote:

Kind of a "We (PRC) own the land, but you f***ers (HK'ers) are foreigners..." sort of deal. :ponder:

Nice...

that's more to do with the Basic Law implementation.. and the PRC knew HK would be overrun by PRC citizens if they didn't keep it separate.. would be very chaotic and that's the last time CCP wants. Anyways, under the colony, land was under lease anyways. no change there.
Jack Burton: I don't get this at all. I thought Lo Pan...
Lo Pan: Shut up, Mr. Burton! You are not brought upon this world to get it!
Forumosan avatar
Jack Burton
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

4 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

Postby Indiana » 09 Nov 2010, 14:30

Mother Theresa wrote:So, if you could land a job "back home" at twice what you're earning in Taiwan would you take it? Would you move back?

Funny how one might hesitate and wonder if twice ones present salary would be enough to survive on.

More importantly, strange how this shithole -- any shithole -- grows on a person over the years, and "back home" turns to a shithole in many respects, or at least becomes unknown and uncertain, and even though you could never imagine yourself staying here another few decades until death, the idea of moving back almost seems like just too much hassle. Almost.

I'm not in Taiwan anymore and have no plans to return, but if I were given the choice of living in the US or Taiwan I would certainly choose Taiwan, even though it didn't grow on me much at all in the 6 years I was there. Just the thought of living back in the US gives me the willies.
Forumosan avatar
Indiana
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

4 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Postby Mother Theresa » 09 Nov 2010, 14:37

Indiana wrote:
Mother Theresa wrote:So, if you could land a job "back home" at twice what you're earning in Taiwan would you take it? Would you move back?

I'm not in Taiwan anymore and have no plans to return, but if I were given the choice of living in the US or Taiwan I would certainly choose Taiwan, even though it didn't grow on me much at all in the 6 years I was there. Just the thought of living back in the US gives me the willies.

Were you born and raised in the US? Have you no desire to ever move back to the US for the rest of your life?

Lots of things about the US give me the willies -- nasty politics, gloomy economy, high unemployment, deteriorated schools, roads, infrastructure, seemingly widespread ignorance and senseless violence, having to drive everywhere, ridiculously high cost of everything especially healthcare, etc. -- but there's plenty that I like about it, such as the fantastic and diverse scenery, wide open spaces, great weather (in California), skiing, great and diverse foods, and probably all sorts of cool things that I don't even know about, since they came into being after I left. I'm sure I'll return, but I'm sure I'll have seriously mixed feelings about it.
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

14 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby Indiana » 09 Nov 2010, 14:57

Mother Theresa wrote:
Indiana wrote:

Were you born and raised in the US? Have you no desire to ever move back to the US for the rest of your life?

Lots of things about the US give me the willies -- nasty politics, gloomy economy, high unemployment, deteriorated schools, roads, infrastructure, seemingly widespread ignorance and senseless violence, having to drive everywhere, ridiculously high cost of everything especially healthcare, etc. -- but there's plenty that I like about it, such as the fantastic and diverse scenery, wide open spaces, great weather (in California), skiing, great and diverse foods, and probably all sorts of cool things that I don't even know about, since they came into being after I left. I'm sure I'll return, but I'm sure I'll have seriously mixed feelings about it.

I was born and raised in the US and left in 1996, right after I graduated from university. I have no desire to ever move back there for the rest of my life, no. My husband is British and he feels that way about both the US and England as well.

I love going back for the same reasons that you say you like about it (but I get bored after about a week!). It is a fabulous place in so many ways. But I find it claustrophobic in the sense that I have lived abroad and have had so many awesome experiences living and traveling all over the world and I find it hard to relate now when I go back...that's the only way I can describe how I feel about it. In other words, as each year passes, I feel like more and more of an alien in my own home country. I would feel much more comfortable and at ease moving to a completely different country than I would moving back home, if that makes sense.

My hubby and I have been looking into buying property for some time now and have looked primarily at Europe, but also once in a while in the States (for investment). Sometimes we will see big, gorgeous houses and we will think, 'Wow, it would be great to buy that and live in it!' But then I think of what our social circle might be like and it turns me off. I love having people around me who have had experiences like I have, who enjoy being on their toes in foreign lands, and who come from different countries and backgrounds from me. I get a real buzz from that, and from living overseas.
Forumosan avatar
Indiana

4 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Greater Forumosa