What Next After Taiwan?

Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Forum rules
Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Keyword searches: Shanghai

Re: What Next After Taiwan?

Postby bismarck » 10 Nov 2010, 16:06

Mother Theresa wrote:
Muzha Man wrote:
bismarck wrote: Let alone things like a weekend trip to the Philippines or taking a week off to re-charge in Thailand. They just don't get it.

Hmm, I seem to be missing this part of the expat equation in my life. :ponder:

Yea, same here. Sounds nice. For me life has been largely back and forth, back and forth, back and forth between my house and my office. If/when I land a job in the Bay Area, I'll definitely need to make the most of my final time in Taiwan (before I return here again).

Well, that was back in the "good old days" before the wife and the boy.
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 10 Nov 2010, 19:46

I had read this thread and I think the OP had worded it beautifully, so I was anticipating that loss of 'luxury time' one gets in Taiwan as an expat. I had plenty, with no relatives etc. I thought the prison analogy was right too, and yes I have trouble fitting in. But it is no biggie, People stare at me agape because we haven't invested in a flat or any other property till date, so that means we are not the 'in' or the 'it' couple, but who cares???Other than that (which is the only thing people talk of in India these days, soaring property prices) we have fit in beautifully. Atleast we are not missing our quotidien life on the rock. Not the pool, nor the lake, nor the food, nor the people. Weird. At least not yet. Maybe we always knew, it would end so we enjoyed it thoroughly, and we know this won't last either so we are trying to make the best of it. Even the kids just kind of merged in here, despite numerous changes.

I guess, life goes on. Even after the 'wan :lol:
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

367 Recommends(s)
116 Recognized(s)

Postby Gao Bohan » 10 Nov 2010, 23:30

Indiana wrote:Insular...that's the word my husband uses a lot when he visits the States...and I agree.

What's funny about that is so many posters complain about the well, insular view of most Taiwanese. Ah, but you're in the UAE now. I'm sure "insular" doesn't describe anyone in the Arab peninsula. :lol:
Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal. - John F. Kennedy
Forumosan avatar
Gao Bohan
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

169 Recommends(s)
306 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 10 Nov 2010, 23:40

they'd be known as 'peninsular'.

Geez.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

219 Recommends(s)
275 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 11 Nov 2010, 00:21

Gao Bohan wrote:
Indiana wrote:Insular...that's the word my husband uses a lot when he visits the States...and I agree.

What's funny about that is so many posters complain about the well, insular view of most Taiwanese. Ah, but you're in the UAE now. I'm sure "insular" doesn't describe anyone in the Arab peninsula. :lol:

Which really proves the point! It is not that the US in insular, just that Indiana can live in a community of like minded people who have similar views when she lives abroad. It is interesting that New York University professor Nassim Nicholas Taleb goes ove this idea in The Black Swan. I cannot remember her name but he discusses an author who wrote fiction that was not mainstream until her fiction became a hit. He believes that she was able to keep going due to the fact she lived in a community of other artist and writers who were not worried about the mortgage or owning whatever car is in style. Most countries are probably insular. It just seems that as an ex-pat one is likely to hang with a ground of like minded people. I am sure that when I work on a Master's in Speech Language Pathology in Pennsylvania that I will have few people with similar life experiences to discuss things with.

I think the key point is that it does not matter what lifestyle you choose to live, you will probably not be very happy if you choose to live in an area where people do not have similar views.
steelersman
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby Gao Bohan » 11 Nov 2010, 00:31

urodacus wrote:they'd be known as 'peninsular'.

Geez.

Ooh, nice! :bravo:
Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal. - John F. Kennedy
Forumosan avatar
Gao Bohan

169 Recommends(s)
306 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 11 Nov 2010, 00:52

Gao Bohan wrote:What's funny about that is so many posters complain about the well, insular view of most Taiwanese.

Reminds me of the foreigners who complain they can't stand the bureaucracy here, the headaches, the rudeness, the driving, the food, and the lack of law and order, only to end by telling you they are moving to China. :lol:
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

841 Recognized(s)

Postby Gao Bohan » 11 Nov 2010, 00:59

Muzha Man wrote:Reminds me of the foreigners who complain they can't stand the bureaucracy here, the headaches, the rudeness, the driving, the food, and the lack of law and order, only to end by telling you they are moving to China. :lol:

Or Fiji. :lol:
Forumosan avatar
Gao Bohan

169 Recommends(s)
306 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 11 Nov 2010, 03:31

Gao Bohan wrote:
Muzha Man wrote:Reminds me of the foreigners who complain they can't stand the bureaucracy here, the headaches, the rudeness, the driving, the food, and the lack of law and order, only to end by telling you they are moving to China. :lol:

Or Fiji. :lol:

Fiji was my tropical dream paradise when I was growing up. Then I went.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

841 Recognized(s)

Postby Indiana » 11 Nov 2010, 03:34

Gao Bohan wrote:

Of course it does!!! :lol: You know what's weird though? It bothers me more when it's my own peeps, does that make sense? :oops:
Forumosan avatar
Indiana
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

5 Recommends(s)
39 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Greater Forumosa