Views on leaving Taiwan from those who have done it!

Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Forum rules
Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Keyword searches: Shanghai

Re: Views on leaving Taiwan from those who have done it!

Postby steelersman » 18 Sep 2010, 06:34

tommy525 wrote:go to flight school , get a couple thousand hours on a regional jet and apply at EVA Air and you are back to the rock. Get yrself a Tw wife and thats your anchor to Asia.

If I get offered the political job, I will try to go to law school at night and maybe head back to Asia in 10 years and try to find some work as a legal consultant. Not to mention that partial pension from working in the government 10 to 15 years.
steelersman
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

Postby tommy525 » 18 Sep 2010, 07:01

probably better. copilot on RJ these days pays only bout 17,000 a year. So its not good money. EVA only offering bout 4000 to 5000us/month (free room) for co pilot candidates. People going there only to build hours in a widebody and move up in a few years.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby housecat » 18 Sep 2010, 09:09

My friend lost her job last night when the school she was working for closed. She said she'd seen it comming because she wasn't paid for August, but said that she didn't see the owner just walking in last night and saying, sorry folks, this is it.

He said a partner had run off at the end of July and taken a bunch of money, and he hasn't been able to keep up with things financially. But he has still been collecting fees from parents, who are now pissed.

Anyway, my friend's chances of being paid seem very slim, she's out of a job, and still she trusts him not to cancel her ARC right away, but to wait until she can find a new job and transfer it. Hopefully, she can find one quick, but I wouldn't be trusting anything anymore.

So, yes, OP, life here can be complicated and not exactly easy in some ways. But you will take chances in the States, too, with job stability. The government job may be a treat, but government workers get laid off, too--starting with the newest guys.

In a situation like this, what can you do but close your eyes to the potholes and run flat out for the hurdles? Sometimes, with enough momentum, you fly right over the potholes before you've had a chance to worry about them, anyway. Just decide what you want out of life and go for it straight on.

In my firend's case, I sort of see this as a good thing dressd up as a bad thing. She needs to get on with some things and has been very reluctant to do anytihng that she needs to do. She's afraid to moving forward--for very understandable reasons. She's been staring at her potholes for too long. But now she's going to have to do something.
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

Postby headhonchoII » 18 Sep 2010, 13:23

There's supposed to be a big demand in pilots coming in over the next 10 years so it's not a bad choice.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby steelersman » 18 Sep 2010, 17:48

headhonchoII wrote:There's supposed to be a big demand in pilots coming in over the next 10 years so it's not a bad choice.

Becoming a pilot is a long road. You have to work a year or two as a flight instructor for low wages until you get enough hours to get a job flying for an airline.
steelersman

Postby headhonchoII » 19 Sep 2010, 10:52

But it's a long-term career with good benefits, these days most jobs are unstable, being a pilot is not easy to jump into but probably a good lifetime job, at least until they have pilotless planes which are a ways off yet!
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby steelersman » 19 Sep 2010, 12:38

headhonchoII wrote:But it's a long-term career with good benefits, these days most jobs are unstable, being a pilot is not easy to jump into but probably a good lifetime job, at least until they have pilotless planes which are a ways off yet!

Well, I am very keen to give flying a shot if the government job does not work out.
steelersman

Postby TheGingerMan » 23 Sep 2010, 06:26

"You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave."
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

Gruntleness: Fully Disgruntled

Previous

Proceed to Greater Forumosa