Teaching TEFL in Australia

Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Forum rules
Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Keyword searches: Shanghai

Re: Teaching TEFL in Australia

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 11 Nov 2010, 11:36

Yup, getting a visa once you're in Australia is a BITCH. If you qualify for one before you go, get one.... otherwise you will wait forever and spend thousands while you're doing it.

http://www.seek.com.au/Job/teacher-engl ... e/18408222

I just had a look at some of the job sites for ESL and the only one that came up with more than one was Seek.com.au . This ad is for Southbank TAFE, which is a government position, so if you meet that criteria you'll be good for anything else. The Cert IV that they're talking about you can do in about 6 weeks at any TAFE in Brisbane and is standard for all teachers at actual schools across QLD (maybe not for private English centers, though).

This is a private place:

http://www.seek.com.au/Job/esl-teacher- ... s/18447629

Never heard of them (unless they're the school attached to QUT, in which case I've heard but not the name) but looks professional.

I don't think TEFL counts for TESOL.. but CELTA probably does :)
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Reaperjim » 11 Nov 2010, 13:31

tsukinodeynatsu wrote:Yup, getting a visa once you're in Australia is a BITCH. If you qualify for one before you go, get one.... otherwise you will wait forever and spend thousands while you're doing it.

http://www.seek.com.au/Job/teacher-engl ... e/18408222

I just had a look at some of the job sites for ESL and the only one that came up with more than one was Seek.com.au . This ad is for Southbank TAFE, which is a government position, so if you meet that criteria you'll be good for anything else. The Cert IV that they're talking about you can do in about 6 weeks at any TAFE in Brisbane and is standard for all teachers at actual schools across QLD (maybe not for private English centers, though).

This is a private place:

http://www.seek.com.au/Job/esl-teacher- ... s/18447629

Never heard of them (unless they're the school attached to QUT, in which case I've heard but not the name) but looks professional.

I don't think TEFL counts for TESOL.. but CELTA probably does :)

Thanks for the advice, but a few friends I know on a few forums have told me that most good jobs are not advertised on websites. I will be pro-actively sending resumes and have a small network I can work from. Finding a very small number of ads doesn't really surprise me.
Madam Speaker said,
Reaperjim
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Alessandro » 28 Nov 2010, 02:51

as long as you're not American it shouldn't be too hard.
Forumosan avatar
Alessandro
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 30 Nov 2010, 15:26

Yup, need to be married for three years. They check on you, too.
tsukinodeynatsu

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Satellite TV » 02 Dec 2010, 18:17

pqkdzrwt wrote:Interesting advice, I strongly recommend the OP follow your advise.

My experience in this area is all based on people I know already living in Australia. One couple I know have been married for a year, and the partner from the UK still does not have PR!!

Thats because you need to be married for more than a year to get PR. Read the rules on the Australia Immigration website. If married less then the legal time frame wich is different to those with children to those without PR is not granted until the required time period has elapsed due to too many scam visa marriage applications.

http://www.immi.gov.au/
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Greater Forumosa