Living in Singapore

Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Forum rules
Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Keyword searches: Shanghai

Living in Singapore

Postby zyzzx » 23 Feb 2011, 03:14

So, has anyone on here lived/worked in Singapore?
I've just found out that I've made it to the interview stage for a job at a university down there (not English teaching, if that makes any difference)...
I've never been, and all I know is that it's all one big city, it's really hot, people like to shop, it has good food, and I shouldn't chew gum.
I'll obviously have a look at the place and ask a lot of questions when I go down there, but in the meantime I would greatly appreciate any insights into what life in Singapore is like, and how it might compare to life in Taipei.
Forumosan avatar
zyzzx
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

ORIGINAL POSTER
10 Recognized(s)

Re: Living in Singapore

Postby Chris » 23 Feb 2011, 03:30

I know someone who lived there. He found it a boring place, and it's pretty expensive too. But Malaysia and Indonesia are really close by, and Thailand isn't too far away, so there's plenty of opportunity for travel. Plus it's a great hub to fly out of.

EDIT: By the way, it's not all city. There are jungles in the middle of the island (necessary as a catchment for the reservoirs), and you can go hiking. You can even hike to the highest peak in Singapore, Bukit Timah - a whole 537 feet above sea level!
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

78 Recommends(s)
167 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 23 Feb 2011, 04:21

Think of a tropical HongKong.
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

477 Recommends(s)
316 Recognized(s)

Postby tango42 » 23 Feb 2011, 09:30

Lived there for few years. Fascinating, beautiful, cosmopolitan place. You have much more variety of stimulation than Taiwan. If you have the money.

But can't live as cheap as in Taiwan. If the school helps with living expenses, then great opportunity.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

5 Recommends(s)
29 Recognized(s)

Postby freethinker83 » 23 Feb 2011, 09:36

tango42 wrote:Lived there for few years. Fascinating, beautiful, cosmopolitan place. You have much more variety of stimulation than Taiwan. If you have the money.

But can't live as cheap as in Taiwan. If the school helps with living expenses, then great opportunity.

You are the very first person I have ever heard saying this. Everyone I have talked to dislikes Singapore very much due to the dullness of everyday life with nothing to do.
Mike Price
麥克 普瑞斯
www.ThinkTaiwan.com
Connecting the World to Taiwan

This post was recommended by crystaleye (06 Aug 2011, 15:20)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
freethinker83
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 23 Feb 2011, 11:34

Singapore is boring because it's small, overdeveloped, and much of its exciting historical stuff has been bleached away. But if you take the time and effort to explore its nooks and crannies, you can find quite a few interesting things to see and do. And you can easily get away from Singapore.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

78 Recommends(s)
167 Recognized(s)

Postby freethinker83 » 23 Feb 2011, 11:40

Chris wrote:Singapore is boring because it's small, overdeveloped, and much of its exciting historical stuff has been bleached away. But if you take the time and effort to explore its nooks and crannies, you can find quite a few interesting things to see and do. And you can easily get away from Singapore.

Oh ok I see. Thanks for the clarification Chris :)
Mike Price
麥克 普瑞斯
www.ThinkTaiwan.com
Connecting the World to Taiwan
Forumosan avatar
freethinker83

1 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 23 Feb 2011, 11:46

I've never been, but have an ex-out-law who said he hated it there because it was terribly boring--but he thought I'd LOVE it there.

I think it's more of a family kind of place, than a place for a single person. But like I said, I've never been.
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

95 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 23 Feb 2011, 12:35

They even have artificial tropical getaway islands with resorts ... all in one small place ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1 Recommends(s)
60 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 23 Feb 2011, 12:51

zyzzx wrote:So, has anyone on here lived/worked in Singapore?
I've just found out that I've made it to the interview stage for a job at a university down there (not English teaching, if that makes any difference)...
I've never been, and all I know is that it's all one big city, it's really hot, people like to shop, it has good food, and I shouldn't chew gum.
I'll obviously have a look at the place and ask a lot of questions when I go down there, but in the meantime I would greatly appreciate any insights into what life in Singapore is like, and how it might compare to life in Taipei.

for reference ($1 Sing = ~$0.78)

the price of fun is really $$$$$ 6 pack in 7/11 cost $16 and a beer in a bar costs around the same, cigarettes are around $12/pack. the nightlife is good, but it caters to white collar expats for the most part. sadly there are relatively few attractive females there, easily the lowest percentage in East Asia, and I have no idea why, it makes no sense.

food is amazing and very cheap in the hawker centers (~$5 for a meal).

it is a real, functioning, first world city that gets all the events a global city should.

you NEVER feel like a foreigner there.

it is easier to fly to many remotes parts of Indonesia from Singapore than it is Jakarta (this means great weekend getaways).

my advice is if you like the way things are in the west, bland, orderly etc... Singapore is for you, but if you like going out every weekend and drinking a lot, make sure you have a good paying job, much of the city's 'fun' caters to people making 6 figures.
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

75 Recommends(s)
367 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Greater Forumosa