Shanghai versus Beijing for non-teaching jobs

Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Forum rules
Post here for topics related to life outside of Taiwan, whether it's jobs in China, restaurants in Shanghai, or re-adjusting to life back home.
Keyword searches: Shanghai

Re: Shanghai versus Beijing for non-teaching jobs

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 20 May 2011, 01:02

steelersman wrote:Maybe I should look for a job in Guangdong. Then I can learn Cantonese.

That's certainly not a bad plan. Guangzhou is dirty and interesting. it's also cheaper, and I'd say there's many opportunities to gain experience and in something that could eventually pay off. I wouldn't bet the ranch against it, but it's a plan. Mind you Dongguan is a shithole full of the worst Taiwanese on the planet. As is Zhuhai. Guangdong is largely poor, dumb, brutal and horrid.

You should also perhaps talk with Baas in Xiamen. Fujian is interesting, especially coming out of Taiwan.

As for dialects. I'm reluctantly coming back to the idea Chinese speakers should have a proper grounding in "Beijing hua" before moving on. I spent twenty years saying it doesn't matter. but now I think it does, and can see why my early language teachers were incredulous I didn't at east spend some time studying Chinese in Beijing.

HG
I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately. Oh fark it! I'm a monster! I admit it!
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 20 May 2011, 01:15

I have already studied Mandarin in Taiwan for three years.
steelersman
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby Gao Bohan » 20 May 2011, 04:59

So now your plan of escape from Taiwan is to...Mainland China? So that way, you'll have all of the same cultural features that have caused you numerous frustrations in Taiwan, plus more pollution and burdensome government? :ponder: And all because you want to study another Chinese dialect, even though you could easily study Southern Min or Hakka in Taiwan? :eh:
Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal. - John F. Kennedy
Forumosan avatar
Gao Bohan
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

169 Recommends(s)
306 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 20 May 2011, 07:25

Gao Bohan wrote:So now your plan of escape from Taiwan is to...Mainland China? So that way, you'll have all of the same cultural features that have caused you numerous frustrations in Taiwan, plus more pollution and burdensome government? :ponder: And all because you want to study another Chinese dialect, even though you could easily study Southern Min or Hakka in Taiwan? :eh:

:eek: I don't think that any of my post said anything about cultural features that frustrate me in Taiwan. Simply I don't want to teach English and I hope to try something else.

Maybe I did not make it clear but I would not go to the Mainland just to study another dialect. I am considering going there to see if I can get a job and experience outside of teaching.

Learning another dialect is just a hobby I might pursue on the weekend. If I don't leave Taiwan I might start learning Southern Min.
steelersman

ORIGINAL POSTER
10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 20 May 2011, 10:53

Here's one..'Western Appearance' noted as first requirement, of course not being blonde, female and blue eyed you could be facing heavy competition :)

http://www.thebeijinger.com/classifieds ... ambassador

From looking at jobs listed on there, it's easy to get a job in China, but it may be hard to get a well paid job.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1782 Recommends(s)
638 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 20 May 2011, 13:27

Steelersman, have a look at this:

viewtopic.php?f=117&t=98865

I thought at first it was a degree mill, but it does check out - it's a genuine accredited university.

I realise it's not specifically what you were looking for ... but it sounds like you're looking for a career change, so possibly worth considering getting another degree. And you can always work (officially or unofficially) during vacations.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley

875 Recommends(s)
662 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 20 May 2011, 16:47

Thank you for the information.
steelersman

ORIGINAL POSTER
10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby Baas Babelaas » 20 May 2011, 17:55

Guangzhou is dirty and interesting. it's also cheaper, and I'd say there's many opportunities to gain experience and in something that could eventually pay off. I wouldn't bet the ranch against it, but it's a plan. Mind you Dongguan is a shithole full of the worst Taiwanese on the planet. As is Zhuhai. Guangdong is largely poor, dumb, brutal and horrid.

You should also perhaps talk with Baas in Xiamen. Fujian is interesting, especially coming out of Taiwan.

You couldn't pay me in luxury cars, gold bars and tankers of oil to live in the big cities of Mainland China. Taipei, Taiwan yes, Guangzhou, Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen etc - NO!

And I've heard Dongguan is hell on earth. But I though Zhuhai was a'ight, no? Maybe I'll pop in there when I go down to Honkers next..

Xiamen is okay, becoming over-touristed and traffic is getting very bad. But on the upside the people are fairly (pinch of salt) polite, semi-civil and I have a good gig - uni + IELTS examining.

I'm meant to be moving back to the Wan end-summer, but not if it means teaching kids. I'd rather push out another 6-12 months in Xiamen and wait for the right work to come up in Taiwan.
Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

9 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 22 May 2011, 10:54

There is a Temple University program in Beijing. Maybe I can get a Master's while living in Beijing through some American university.
steelersman

ORIGINAL POSTER
10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby beducation19 » 26 Apr 2012, 23:47

I can't really tell which of the two cities has most of the non teaching jobs. Having gotten this free job App for mobile, I have seen lots of non teaching jobs in Shanghai. I will recommend this App which is easy to find jobs with. www.chinajobsapp.com or you can visit their web version www.web.chinajobsapp.com. You can as well have your judgement from there.
Good Luck!
beducation19
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Greater Forumosa