Forumosa Testimonials - How has Forumosa helped you?

Forumosa has helped many, many people over the years. If you're one of them, and you'd like to share your positive experiences, we'd love to hear your stories!

Moderators: Tempo Gain, ironlady

Postby jdsmith » 17 Mar 2007, 06:47

I have made friendships through this site that I hope will last for the rest of my life.

I hope I can make more.

The irony of this site is that MOST of the fun takes place offline.
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 17 Mar 2007, 07:12

I've only met one forumosan in person, but I've been supported by you all. Some have spoken words of support and encouragement, and some even very recently. Others have just posted and I've been able to read and be entertained by what they've had to say. There's always helpful advice for the asking. And of course, not living in Taiwan any more, Forumosa helps with a fix when I start jonesing for "home."
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

Postby Joesox » 17 Mar 2007, 11:42

jdsmith wrote:I have made friendships through this site that I hope will last for the rest of my life.

I hope I can make more.
Me too.

jdsmith wrote:The irony of this site is that MOST of the fun takes place offline.
Most of the fun, I guess, though I do have a good chuckle at the online stuff from time to time.

But as regards practical stuff, Forumosa and Forumosans have been immensely helpful to me in all aspects of living here and also as regards developing as a teacher.
Joesox
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

7 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Forumosa has been indispensable

Postby Opihiman » 04 Apr 2007, 12:04

We've just relocated/returned to Taiwan and Forumosa has been indispensable:

Rep office stuff posted by llary, rice_t and others helped me land a 'job' in Taipei while I was overseas.

Lotus Hill thread (Maoman & others ...) led us to discover a great little community outside the city where we now live. (Previously we depended on agents who focus their efforts in downtown Taipei area and near vicinity.)

We'll likely adopt a dog from Stray-dog; go whoop some a** or, most certainly, get it handed to us at BJJ; and get the CHT9000 w/ HSDPA based in part on Hobart's rave review.

We've been in transition (moving) the last few months and that is when you really discover the value of a virtual network that one can plug into so readily ...

Much Thanks to All.
Opihiman
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Taiwanderer » 04 Apr 2007, 13:05

Anyway,Forumosa has helped me with regards to having been unfairly dismissed.(I got a payout from the offending buxiban.)

Thanks guys!(Jlick & Sandman in particular)
Taiwanderer
Suspended (bèi jìnle)
Suspended (bèi jìnle)

Postby djkonstable » 04 Apr 2007, 22:47

Forumosa has helped me with every question I have had and helped answer questions I have posted. I have learned a lot about things I never would have thought of or never would have considered. I have met some awesome people and hope to met them in real life once I am in Taiwan in August. I have gotten the down low on the different places I was considering living. It is nice to get a first person perspective on where they live, which allows me to make an informed decision about where I want to live.

I believe that I will also be making better decisions about employment in Taiwan because of Forumosa. Without forumosa.com I might have wound up in a bad work situation or done something I shouldn't have. I will probably also receive better pay and working conditions because I have read a lot about ways to negotiate a position.

Everything dealing with arcs, visas, airline tickets, pet importation, etc... has saved me so much time. Which means I can spend more of that time bullshitting on the forums. Aren't you all lucky.
Thanks EVERYONE
:notworthy: :notworthy:
Forumosan avatar
djkonstable
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Loretta » 04 Apr 2007, 23:27

I would willingly sell my house and all my possessions, including my children, if it was necessary in order to continue posting on forumosa. I would live in a cardboard box outside Big Fluffy Matthew's house just to be able to use his wireless to get onto this site, and subsist on Miltownkid's left over sushi bits so I didn't need as much money to live, so I could work less and have more free time to post here.
Loretta
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

56 Recommends(s)
66 Recognized(s)

Postby 914 » 06 Apr 2007, 09:39

Forumosa has helped me out of my shell to go online and exchange information, opinions, and banter with strangers while I was in Taiwan. Even though the friends I made after joining Forumosa were not Taiwanese (which I had hoped living in Taiwan would ensue), I would not trade discovering Forumosa for anything else.

There was a period of three months where I stayed home all day and only went to the gym and library -- alone -- and had no one to speak English with, to watch movies with, and resorted to very nails-on-the-chalkboard format of Taiwanese "newstainment" when bored. My one and only friend mentioned Txxlxx and I think through there, whilst perusing various ads, I clicked onto Forumosa.com. I don't know how I made it through those first three months! But I really think Forumosa is a great website. It's resourceful, informative, and if you log on long enough, like everyday, five times a day, it will become your oasis in the middle of the desert. When you think why oh why you're here, you log on and voila -- instant friends.

Use it wisely, and it will become the most valuable thing you have during your stay in Taiwan, or if you are just interested in on knowing more about the country. It costs nothing, you give a little, but gain a lot. I would recommend it to all my friends.

The most invaluable thing I walked away with is the abundance of information from posters from all walks of life imaginable. Never ever would I have thought I'd be able to meet online and/or in real life the people from all over the world who call themselves Forumosans. I am the first to say I used to have an insular view on people, jobs, countries, you name it. Having a website such as this one really changed my way of looking at things and I am thankful.

I only wish my friends where I am now could have the opportunity to discover this website, unfortunately not many of them are interested. Life gets better post-Taiwan because I had Forumosa during those years by my side. I keep in regular contact with the friends I made there, it's so great to hear their stories about Taiwan after I've left.

There's a fine line between enjoying this website and overstaying it. But for either sides, it's a buoy that kept me afloat during my best and worst of times in Taiwan.

In short: Forumosa is the ultimate go-to website on all things Taiwan. It's the best $0 I never spent. It's nice. I maked many happy time there.
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Testimonials