Goodbye, Dragon Inn

Moderator: hansioux

Re: Goodbye, Dragon Inn

Postby sandman » 09 Sep 2011, 15:38

Legend has it that the big wheel that was up there fell on the guy who was contracted to take it down.

Another of my good friends was shooting a music video up there featuring the big wheel being dismantled. The worker was killed either later that same day or the next day.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Poagao » 09 Sep 2011, 17:56

There was a fire in the building where all the brochures were, they are all gone now. I also saved a few.
Forumosan avatar
Poagao
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

5 Recommends(s)
77 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 12 Sep 2011, 21:19

Incubus wrote:How did you get the lights set up for the pics? The auditorium seems well-lit. Was there still electricity with working lights after 10 years in disrepair?

I ran around with an un-mounted flash and activated it at different areas in the space I weas trying to photograph. The exposures you see are typically over a minute long - there is absolutely no light at all in the building.
If you look at the shot of the auditorium, you can see on the left hand side a lot of light streams. This is me running up the stairs with a flashlight. In the shot of the ticket desk, you can see my hand activating the flash on the right hand side.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby steev » 12 Sep 2011, 21:45

Elegua wrote:I'm pretty sure I saw a movie or two at this theater when I was a student living in Yonghe in the early to mid 1990s. It had really cheap tickets and played HKG movies as well as western movies that were out of the theaters. One movies ran right after the other, with no breaks. One ticket got you as many movies as you could stand watching. No concessions so you could bring whatever outside snacks or food you wanted. The print quality was terrible, the sound system was loud, the seats were old and kind of stinky , but it was something to do on on a student's budget on a cold, grey winter's day.

I think the Taiwanese can give the Portuguese a run for their money when it comes to saudade. The island seems steeped in it.

I was planning to go over there in the next few weeks to catch one of those double bills... looks like I'm about a decade too late... I'll check out the Tsai Ming-liang movie when I get chance...
I love those old complexes... they get really interesting when they get run down ... and I really miss the old Taiwan...
steev
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

Postby Incubus » 13 Sep 2011, 20:42

Super Hans wrote:
Incubus wrote:How did you get the lights set up for the pics? The auditorium seems well-lit. Was there still electricity with working lights after 10 years in disrepair?

I ran around with an un-mounted flash and activated it at different areas in the space I weas trying to photograph. The exposures you see are typically over a minute long - there is absolutely no light at all in the building.
If you look at the shot of the auditorium, you can see on the left hand side a lot of light streams. This is me running up the stairs with a flashlight. In the shot of the ticket desk, you can see my hand activating the flash on the right hand side.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

So were there any creepy-crawlies? Or was it too dark to see? Reminds me of one of those Indiana Jones movies where Harrison Ford lights a torch in the dark and there're hundreds of snakes all around. :eek:
Incubus
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

12 Recommends(s)
39 Recognized(s)

Postby scj » 14 Oct 2011, 23:54

Absolutely by far and away the most fascinating, coolest post on a fairly reactionary, whining website (see recent horrific posts on the Occupy Taipei Thread)...

Really fascinating way you explored this space and with an obvious love for and knowledge of Taiwanese film and culture. Very very cool man...thanks for your work and passion on this!!
scj
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby Xeno » 06 Sep 2013, 21:27

Awesome thread! For this I will unearth it from the archives :D
Forumosan avatar
Xeno
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

117 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby CTaitung » 07 Sep 2013, 10:33

Many a movies (double-showings) I went to in the early-1990s to late-1990s with my local friend(s).
The price, if I remember correctly was like N$100 for 2 second-run movies. So, all one had to do was wait until the Hollywood movies ran through the first few months at the theaters in Taipei City, and then they showed up here.
It was great, because you could bring in any food you want, so the smells were like at a night market, with lots of noises from plastic bags being opened and plastic cups being popped with straws. Brings back lots of good memories of a packed theater on Saturdays or Sundays or holidays.
Bears always roam.
CTaitung
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby tango42 » 07 Sep 2013, 11:20

Awesome. Amazing.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

6 Recommends(s)
43 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Culture & History