National Museum of Taiwan History

Moderator: hansioux

Re: National Museum of Taiwan History

Postby Omniloquacious » 17 Nov 2011, 08:01

Good article, Steven. It does look well worth a visit.

Is it permitted to take photographs inside, or were you granted special permission to do so because you were writing about it?

Are there good parking and eating facilities at the museum?
If I prioritized the acquisition of wealth above other purposes in life, I might still have come to Taiwan to study Chinese, but I doubt I would have remained here.
寸金難買寸光陰
Forumosan avatar
Omniloquacious
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

63 Recommends(s)
189 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 17 Nov 2011, 10:38

Omniloquacious wrote:...Are there good parking and eating facilities at the museum?

Are you turning completely Taiwanese on us, Omni? :lol:
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

716 Recognized(s)

Postby Omniloquacious » 17 Nov 2011, 11:08

Muzha Man wrote:
Omniloquacious wrote:...Are there good parking and eating facilities at the museum?

Are you turning completely Taiwanese on us, Omni? :lol:

But... but... can anything else be more important than the parking and eating?

Anyway, even if one can't park and eat to one's heart's content there, the opening of this museum adds another tick to Tainan's box in my search for the best place to live in Taiwan.
If I prioritized the acquisition of wealth above other purposes in life, I might still have come to Taiwan to study Chinese, but I doubt I would have remained here.
寸金難買寸光陰
Forumosan avatar
Omniloquacious

63 Recommends(s)
189 Recognized(s)

Postby StevenCrook » 18 Nov 2011, 21:36

Omniloquacious wrote:Good article, Steven. It does look well worth a visit.

Is it permitted to take photographs inside, or where you granted special permission to do so because you were writing about it?

Are there good parking and eating facilities at the museum?

I didn't take any photos inside, as I knew they'd provide me with pictures to go with the article. Also, they seemed pretty keen on stopping photography inside - I don't know whether for copyright or conservation reasons.
It's out in the boonies so you'll probably want to go there by car. There's plenty of parking spaces; one criticism I didn't put in the article is that the bike racks (I went by bicycle) aren't easy to find, and aren't numerous.
I didn't notice any eating facilities.
My books, available from Amazon.com or directly from me:
TAIWAN: THE BRADT TRAVEL GUIDE (2nd ed coming soon!)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (1st ed)

Available via Amazon.com:
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (2nd ed, Kindle only)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN (Kindle edition)
TAIWAN FOR CULTURE VULTURES
StevenCrook
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recognized(s)

Postby cranky laowai » 18 Nov 2011, 22:18

Omniloquacious wrote:But... but... can anything else be more important than the parking and eating?

Shopping in the gift store? :wink:
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

37 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby StevenCrook » 19 Nov 2011, 08:09

cranky laowai wrote:
Omniloquacious wrote:But... but... can anything else be more important than the parking and eating?

Shopping in the gift store? :wink:

Rest assured, on the first floor, right by the entrance, there's a bookstore/gift shop.
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN

StevenCrook

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Taffy » 19 Mar 2012, 09:54

Visited this museum on Friday, and I can honestly say it's one of the best museums I've visited in Taiwan. The exhibits gave a great overview of Taiwanese history, without glossing over the unpleasant bits. Pro-greens in general will tend to minimise the nasty side of the Japanese era, while pro-blues will stay quiet on 2-28 and the White Terror, but the museum steers clear of both of these pitfalls by treating everything pretty even-handedly. Obviously they can't cover every single incident (there is no mention of the French blockade of 1885, for example), but what is there reflects the sweep of the island's history very well. We also talked to a knowledgable member of staff who mentioned that they see very few "foreigners" there, which is a real shame. If you want a good introduction to Taiwanese history, a couple of hours following the exhibits round is a great way to do it.
Taffy
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

103 Recommends(s)
48 Recognized(s)

Postby StevenCrook » 19 Apr 2012, 22:27

Taffy wrote:Visited this museum on Friday, and I can honestly say it's one of the best museums I've visited in Taiwan. The exhibits gave a great overview of Taiwanese history, without glossing over the unpleasant bits. Pro-greens in general will tend to minimise the nasty side of the Japanese era, while pro-blues will stay quiet on 2-28 and the White Terror, but the museum steers clear of both of these pitfalls by treating everything pretty even-handedly. Obviously they can't cover every single incident (there is no mention of the French blockade of 1885, for example), but what is there reflects the sweep of the island's history very well. We also talked to a knowledgable member of staff who mentioned that they see very few "foreigners" there, which is a real shame. If you want a good introduction to Taiwanese history, a couple of hours following the exhibits round is a great way to do it.

I'm just back from the Lanyang Museum in Yilan County, and while that's a good museum (and an excellent piece of architecture) I do think the NMTH far exceeds it as an engrossing place to learn about Taiwan.
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN

StevenCrook

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recognized(s)

Previous

Return to Culture & History