Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Ai Weiwei's 'absent' at the Taipei Fine Arts Museum

Moderator: hansioux

Ai Weiwei's 'absent' at the Taipei Fine Arts Museum

Postby antarcticbeech » 02 Dec 2011, 17:00

Yesterday I moseyed on over to the TFAM for a look at Ai Weiwei's exhibition 'absent'. The Chinese artist is perhaps best known for helping design the Bird's Nest Stadium (of Olympic Games fame) and for his criticism of the Chinese Communist Party. Following the 2008 Sichuan earthquake he helped investigate both the inordinately high student death toll and the poor quality of school construction in that province; for the latter he was, according to him, badly beaten by police and subsequently had to undergo emergency brain surgery in Germany. This year he was in the headlines again when detained for 81 days without charge (for 'economic crimes'). He now lives under CCP supervision in Beijing and cannot leave the city, hence the title of this exhibition.

There are 21 works on display and it's only $30 to get in, so it's not a bad way to kill an afternoon. I was primarily interested in the piece, 'Forever Bicycles' which consists of an installation of about 1000 bikes all connected together.

Maybe it's a cyclist's thing, but I thought it was kinda cool. None of them have brakes but I resisted the temptation to give it a big push :D . There are a whole lot of his black and white photos too, which I didn't find particularly inspiring.

Anyway, I thought I'd just give the exhibition a little more oxygen here on the flob (interestingly, very few of my adult students are familiar with the name at all).

Oh, and upstairs there is also an exhibition of a Taiwanese photographer, Huang Tse-Hsiu. His sole claim to fame seems to be the luxury of a camera in Taiwan during the 1950s and 60s. Some of the better pics are 'historically interesting'. One miserable collection is dedicated to the dirty carp ponds in the gardens of CKS Memorial Hall. The rocks at Yeliu also feature prominently and one photo of amorphous rock forms, circa 1960, is titled 'Bodies of the invaders drying in the sun' :lol: . So if you venture upstairs, take your sense of humour.
X
Forumosan avatar
antarcticbeech
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
154 Recommends(s)
136 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Culture & History