Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Book: You Don't Know China

Moderator: hansioux

Re: You Don't Know China

Postby finley » 24 Feb 2014, 11:03

Camphor Press wrote:Alternatively the next time someone you know is heading to the US/Canada/Europe you can ask them to pick one up for you.

It's worth pointing out that the free 3G connection works anywhere in the world. It's not locked to certain network(s). I've bought Kindles from the UK and the US and they both connect to the phone network here without any problem.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
finley
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby Camphor Press » 28 Feb 2014, 20:13

The first chapter of You Don’t Know China—"5,000 Years of History"—is now available to read for free online.
Camphor Press
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 26 Aug 2002

Postby StevenCrook » 05 Mar 2014, 10:30

I'm biased, obviously, being both a friend of the author and lucky recipient of a free copy, but here's my (highly positive) take:
http://crooksteven.blogspot.tw/2014/02/ ... -john.html
My books, available from Amazon.com or directly from me:
TAIWAN: THE BRADT TRAVEL GUIDE (2nd ed coming soon!)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (1st ed)

Available via Amazon.com:
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (2nd ed, Kindle only)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN (Kindle edition)
TAIWAN FOR CULTURE VULTURES
StevenCrook
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Postby Camphor Press » 10 Jun 2014, 21:52

Owners of Apple devices will be pleased to know that You Don’t Know China is now also available through iTunes. Rejoice!
Camphor Press

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby hansioux » 11 Jun 2014, 16:56

Camphor Press wrote:The first chapter of You Don’t Know China—"5,000 Years of History"—is now available to read for free online.

great read!
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby shiadoa » 22 Jun 2014, 09:50

I am so glad I don't know some parts of China. China... 5,000 Years of "Culture" and still no idea
http://www.appledaily.com.tw/realtimenews/article/international/20140621/420461/
shiadoa
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

In Taiwan since: 29 Jun 2011

Postby Camphor Press » 03 Jul 2014, 08:09

Bradley Winterton just wrote a great review of You Don’t Know China in the Taipei Times.
Bradley Winterton wrote:Ross tackles many of his popular fallacies with the dispassionate learning of a true historian, combining genuine understanding with a common touch. [...] You Don’t Know China is in many ways an outstanding book, with its chapters on Tiananmen, factory conditions and opium the highlights. A sequel is promised, with topics including Chiang Kai-shek (蔣介石), the role of women and Tibet. I must be excused for saying that I can hardly wait.

He also has words for those who have accused the book of China-bashing.
It’s important to note, by the way, that this isn’t a pro-PRC book, nor an anti-PRC one either. There are places where Ross has the caution and even-handedness of a genuine analytical mind. I know this reads like hyperbole, but it amazes me that a book like this comes from a small local publisher when so much that is tendentious and partisan is put out by major international publishing houses.

You can read the first chapter of the book online to get a taste, after which you should absolutely buy this book. It's as good as Winterton says.
Camphor Press

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby ironlady » 03 Jul 2014, 15:39

If you look at the entire catalogue of this press, it's even more impressive. I admit to being somewhat conditioned by now -- whatever Camphor says to buy, I buy -- but I have never been disappointed, and I have pretty high expectations for the books I read.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
ironlady
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
In Taiwan since: 20 Jun 1984
Gruntleness: Semi-gruntled

Postby Mucha Man » 03 Jul 2014, 17:17

Indeed. Outstanding job. A model for what a small press can do.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

https://www.facebook.com/taiwantemples
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Rocket » 03 Jul 2014, 17:40

You know, the Rocket hates to be all gerrorfmelawn and all :grandpa:

One is, to be sure, gagging to read at least several of these bad boys, but doesn't do the Kindergarten/electronically activated screenified reader device business.

Is there any possible recourse at all here for the eee-readalistically challenged sorts?
Ain't NO thing like me.
'Cept ME.

Lesson number one: Assume everybody wants to hit you.

Hey! Hey! Start shooting!!
At what?
The NAZIS, dumbfuck!!!
Rocket
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Culture & History