Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

American bombing and Mazu miracle

Moderator: hansioux

American bombing and Mazu miracle

Postby hansioux » 28 Jan 2015, 11:33

http://mapstalk.blogspot.tw/2010/02/blog-post_23.html

This is a rather old article that I've seen years ago, but it's pretty interesting and deserves a share.

By 1945, American bombings of Taiwan were no longer limited to strategic targets. They pretty much bombed any village they spot and strafed anything that moves. Even Wandan in Pingdong, which was a tiny agricultural village was bombed as well. From that aftermath, the survivors of Wandan get a new legend of Mazu catching an American bomb.

According to Wandan's Wanhui Mazu temple's stele,

Mazu displayed a miracle by showing herself in the form of a beautiful woman, and used her hands to catch the American bomb. Witnessing this view put the pilot in paralyzing shock, and steered his bomber into the Dan-shui creek. After the bombing, when villagers come to worship at the Mazu temple, they noticed the Mazu statue made in the Daoguang era (1820~1850) was missing a section to both her thumbs, and her index fingers were also damaged. When the believers enquired the goddess, Mazu revealed that she showed her trueself during the air raid to catch the bomb and damaged her fingers. the news soon spread far and wide, and believers traveled to Wanhui temple from all over Kaohsiung and Pingdong to worship Mazu and witness the miracle showing statue. The shell of that unexploded bomb is now featured at the gates for people to see.

The stele pointed out the bombing took place Feburary 20, 1945. Using that info, that bombing can be found in Academia Sinica's GIS database of American bombing reports.

http://gis.rchss.sinica.edu.tw/GIArchive/?page_id=1019

The bombing was done by the 405 Bombardment Squadron, which was part of the Fifth Air Force at the time. They were flying B-25 Mitchell medium bombers.

From the report, the 405th were assigned to bomb targets in Kagi (Jiayi). This was their second trip to bomb Kagi, and they had Choshu (Chaozhou 潮州) as their secondary target in case weather prevents them from bombing Jiayi. 9 bombers and 16 P-47s left from Lingayen airstrip in the Philippines, and were forced to bomb Chaozhou in Pingdong instead due to poor weather. They bombed Wandan on the way.

They say curiosity killed the cat or Formosans

The American pilot noted that some Formosans were just too curious and had to take a peek at their bombers, so they were taught a lesson by being strafed by P-47s I guess. The report however did not say anything about a downed bomber. It did mention Danshui creek though.

One radio operator was injured slightly and two airplanes were holed by the moderate, medium, accurate to inaccurate fire received from three positions between Heito Airdrome and Tansui River.

So it would appear the downed bomber was false.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Re: American bombing and Mazu miracle

Postby Hokwongwei » 28 Jan 2015, 15:42

Witnessing this view put the pilot in paralyzing shock

Must have had great eyesight.
This is a highly proper signature.
Hokwongwei
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

Postby hansioux » 28 Jan 2015, 16:06

Hokwongwei wrote:
Witnessing this view put the pilot in paralyzing shock

Must have had great eyesight.

all nine (9) airplanes made the return trip to the home base at LINGAYEN without mishap and landed safely at 1553/I.

although, the report only said all 9 bombers made it back, it didn't mention anything about the 16 P-47 Thunderbolts all making it back. So it is still possible that the gun fire brought down a P-47.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby Tempo Gain » 29 Jan 2015, 00:18

Mazu could easily bring down a P-47.

"Being alive is the meaning." -- Joseph Campbell

"Well I don't guess it has to be, but that's the way we like it." -- Roger Waters

There's only one thing left for me to do momma I gotta ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Culture & History