Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

just found out that I am of "aboriginal" decent.

Moderator: hansioux

Re: just found out that I am of "aboriginal" decent.

Postby rowland » 31 Jan 2015, 06:50

the bear wrote:Good for you. I hope that more Taiwanese "come out" about their indigenous ancestry. For sure there are a lot of people here with indigenous blood who don't admit it or who simply don't know. Should be a source of pride, not something to be hushed up.

Why on earth should it be either one of these things?

I'm of slightly mixed race myself, but I only bring it up to tweak the identity politics nincompoops. Who and what I am has nothing to do with people long dead. It's a sorry person who has to borrow his sense of identity from an accident of birth.

At certain times in the misty past, some of my ancestors oppressed other ancestors of mine. Should I apologize to myself?
Big government is for those who can't handle freedom. Political correctness is for those who can't handle reality.

Gun-free zones are where the gun violence happens. Ban gun-free zones before many more get killed. Also, gun violence in Europe is as bad as in US, and getting worse.

The most bigoted people in the world insist that they are the most open-minded, the cruelest people in the world insist that they are the most compassionate, and the most illogical insist that they are the most logical.

Just because Al Gore says there's a planetary emergency doesn't mean there's a planetary emergency. And just because somebody says it's science doesn't mean it's science.
rowland
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

Postby the bear » 31 Jan 2015, 08:51

rowland wrote:
the bear wrote:Good for you. I hope that more Taiwanese "come out" about their indigenous ancestry. For sure there are a lot of people here with indigenous blood who don't admit it or who simply don't know. Should be a source of pride, not something to be hushed up.

I'm of slightly mixed race myself, but I only bring it up to tweak the identity politics nincompoops. Who and what I am has nothing to do with people long dead. It's a sorry person who has to borrow his sense of identity from an accident of birth.

At certain times in the misty past, some of my ancestors oppressed other ancestors of mine. Should I apologize to myself?

We're not talking about apologies for oppression here plus I'm only referring to the Taiwan experience. A lot of Taiwanese have indigenous blood but deny the fact to their children out of shame. You may not think so but who you are depends a lot on where you come from. There's no such thing as an accident of birth; we are who we are because of the actions of our forefathers. For a family to pretend its 100% Hoklo when its not to me is sad.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
the bear
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

In Taiwan since: 23 Aug 1990

Postby hansioux » 31 Jan 2015, 09:28

sofun wrote:
hansioux wrote:
mtDNA haplogroup test on maternal lineage descendents of your great grandmother would also be concrete proof. Basically your father's cousins or female cousin's descendents.

Yes mtDNA test would determine what type/tribe of "aborigine" my great Grandma most likely was. I predict that she was most likely a Siraya, followed by Tsou, then by Bunun.
I know my grandpa has a sister and I've seen her once. So that'd be my only hope for mtDNA on my dad's side.

I don't think it would be accurate enough to tell which tribe she was from. It would provide definite proof that she was an aboriginal though.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby sofun » 31 Jan 2015, 10:58

hansioux wrote:
sofun wrote:
hansioux wrote:
mtDNA haplogroup test on maternal lineage descendents of your great grandmother would also be concrete proof. Basically your father's cousins or female cousin's descendents.

Yes mtDNA test would determine what type/tribe of "aborigine" my great Grandma most likely was. I predict that she was most likely a Siraya, followed by Tsou, then by Bunun.
I know my grandpa has a sister and I've seen her once. So that'd be my only hope for mtDNA on my dad's side.

I don't think it would be accurate enough to tell which tribe she was from. It would provide definite proof that she was an aboriginal though.

If she was Tsou then mtDNA would tell definitively that she was of the Takasago group of tribes. If she was Siraya then the result would not be so different from regular folks in that area of Tainan. However we already know that she was "Shanbao", because my Dad said she was. So actually her mtDNA would help calibrate either Siraya or Tsou (my educated guess). Basically I only need to get a hold of my Dad's uncle, because for sure he'd know more detail. My dad's is totally ignorant about nuances. He only knows "Shanbao and there are two types." :doh:
sofun
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby sofun » 31 Jan 2015, 11:20

the bear wrote:
rowland wrote:

We're not talking about apologies for oppression here plus I'm only referring to the Taiwan experience. A lot of Taiwanese have indigenous blood but deny the fact to their children out of shame. You may not think so but who you are depends a lot on where you come from. There's no such thing as an accident of birth; we are who we are because of the actions of our forefathers. For a family to pretend its 100% Hoklo when its not to me is sad.

In my example, I've never asked my parents about ancestry in terms of where their families were from and whether they have aboriginal blood. I guess we're just your typical average Taiga-Speaking "locals," both sides of my families. My mom's father's father was from Amoy, (Jinmen) , coming to Taiwan during the Japanese Era, but I only found about it last year when his wife(my grandma) passed away. Now, his wife (who came with him from Jinmen) had bound feet and this I know because I remember my mom saying so when I was little.

That's why I asked my Dad about his grandma (subject matter of this OP) whether she had bound feet, just for fun.
sofun

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Culture & History