Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

An English intro of Taiwan Aborigines by a Truku

Moderator: hansioux

An English intro of Taiwan Aborigines by a Truku

Postby hansioux » 22 Jul 2015, 11:22

http://www.ketagalanmedia.com/2015/07/0 ... s-peoples/

before the Japanese colonial rule, the indigenous peoples did not have the concept of individually owned land or private property. In our worldview, the land owns the person, not the other way around. The attitude towards land is one of humility and respect, and we see ourselves as living alongside the land. We are nothing more than guests on the land, and we see ourselves as stewarding the land for future generations. There is a saying in the Truku Tribe: “the land is blood, the mountain is home.” This stresses our reliance on our relationship with our land.

Ciwang Teyra is a Truku currently getting her PhD at the University of Washington. It's a great intro, and there are a few Truku stories and sayings in it that is less common in other such intros. Hopefully she would continue writing on the subject from her perspective.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Re: An English intro of Taiwan Aborigines by a Truku

Postby marasan » 24 Jul 2015, 09:20

hansioux wrote:http://www.ketagalanmedia.com/2015/07/07/taiwanese-indigenous-peoples/

before the Japanese colonial rule, the indigenous peoples did not have the concept of individually owned land or private property. In our worldview, the land owns the person, not the other way around. The attitude towards land is one of humility and respect, and we see ourselves as living alongside the land. We are nothing more than guests on the land, and we see ourselves as stewarding the land for future generations. There is a saying in the Truku Tribe: “the land is blood, the mountain is home.” This stresses our reliance on our relationship with our land.

Ciwang Teyra is a Truku currently getting her PhD at the University of Washington. It's a great intro, and there are a few Truku stories and sayings in it that is less common in other such intros. Hopefully she would continue writing on the subject from her perspective.

Hey, that's great. There should be some type of blog or something that highlights the academic achievements of aborigines in Taiwan. They need some good role models in this area. I know an aborigine (I can't remember what tribe he's from now, though) who went to the US and did very well. He was involved politically for a while but now teaches at a high school. His English is just so incredible. I imagine with his laid-back view, he did much better in the US than his Han/native Taiwanese counterparts. For example, I don't know any other Taiwanese dude who studied in the US that greets me with a Californian handshake!
marasan
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Culture & History