Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Taiwanese's opinion of ROC/KMT prior to 228

Moderator: hansioux

Taiwanese's opinion of ROC/KMT prior to 228

Postby hansioux » 24 Aug 2015, 15:41

In a Time article, titled Foreign News: This Is the Shame, published back in June 10, 1946, the reporter noted the frustration of the average Taiwanese harbor towards ROC/KMT officials in charge of the trusted territories of Taiwan.

http://content.time.com/time/magazine/a ... 79,00.html

Excerpts includes:

Formosans greeted the few visiting Americans with: "You were kind to the Japanese, you dropped the atom on them. You dropped the Chinese on us!"

Formosans use the adjective "Chinese" as a synonym for inefficiency and confusion.

and

Most foreign observers in Formosa agreed that if a referendum were taken today Formosans would vote for U.S. rule. Second choice—Japan.

Full article is seem quoted here: http://www.hi-on.org.tw/bulletins.jsp?b_ID=75772

There was another article by Washington Daily News, titled Chinese exploit Formosa worse than japs did

Unfortunately full content of that article is hard to find now.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Re: Taiwanese's opinion of ROC/KMT prior to 228

Postby Hokwongwei » 24 Aug 2015, 15:46

Good finds, thanks. Chiang Kai-shek was truly a grate leeder.
This is a highly proper signature.
Hokwongwei
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

Postby hansioux » 24 Aug 2015, 18:13

it is also interesting that peopled used to say "Shanghailanders." XD

Just as angry Shanghailanders, who could buy only from the government-backed Formosa Sugar Co., feared that a colossal sugar corner was being rigged in the already disastrous black market.
hansioux

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Hokwongwei » 25 Aug 2015, 00:38

Is this the opening rumblings of a Shanghailand independence movement??? Someone call in the tanks.

Sometimes in my lonely free time (lots of that) I wonder what China would be like if it had just split up after the fall of the Qing Dynasty. Where would the national boundaries be? What would each country be like? It's a fun thought experiment. After I do more research, I may come up with an alternate history map of the 20th century Remnants of the Qing (China) Empire.
This is a highly proper signature.
Hokwongwei

Postby hansioux » 25 Aug 2015, 09:55

Hokwongwei wrote:Is this the opening rumblings of a Shanghailand independence movement??? Someone call in the tanks.

Sometimes in my lonely free time (lots of that) I wonder what China would be like if it had just split up after the fall of the Qing Dynasty. Where would the national boundaries be? What would each country be like? It's a fun thought experiment. After I do more research, I may come up with an alternate history map of the 20th century Remnants of the Qing (China) Empire.

technically it did. Had the Japanese not intervened during the Northern expedition, it would have remained fractured into:

Northeast (Feng branch 奉系),
Northwest (Shan branch 陝系),
Beijing (Zhi branch 直系),
Anhui (Wan branch 皖系),
Shanxi (Jin branch 晉系),
Guangdong and Jiejiang (Guang branch 廣系),
Guangxi (Qui branch 桂系),
Yunnan (Tian branch 滇系)

And the colonies would automatically regain independence, such as Mongolia, East Turkestan and Tibet. So we are talking about an 11 way split here.
hansioux

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Zhengzhou2010 » 26 Aug 2015, 02:58

hansioux wrote:it is also interesting that peopled used to say "Shanghailanders." XD

Just as angry Shanghailanders, who could buy only from the government-backed Formosa Sugar Co., feared that a colossal sugar corner was being rigged in the already disastrous black market.

The only time I previously saw the use of "Shanghailanders" was in reference to the expat community in the Concession during the early 20C up to WWII. For some reason I had the sense that it was especially widely used among German émigrés (many of Jewish backgrounds escaping German govt persecution in the 1930s) and Russian exiles.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghailander
Zhengzhou2010
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby Zhengzhou2010 » 26 Aug 2015, 02:59

Hokwongwei wrote:Good finds, thanks. Chiang Kai-shek was truly a grate leeder.

Only rivaled by his son, the Deer Leeder.
Zhengzhou2010

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Culture & History