Hsing Tien temple

Moderator: hansioux

Hsing Tien temple

Postby vuyl » 02 Feb 2002, 14:56

From today's Asian Wall Street Journal
Reprinted without permission

THREE HOURS IN...

Taipei

3 Hours in ... is written by readers of The Asian Wall Street Journal to share their advice on how to spend a few hours of spare time in major cities in Asia.

This Week: Making the most of your spare time in Taipei.

Your Guide: Richard R. Vuylsteke, executive director, American Chamber of Commerce in Taipei.

Where He'd Go: To the Hsing Tien temple at the major intersection of Minquan East Road and Songjiang Road in northeast Taipei. Hsing Tien is dedicated to Kuan Kung, a red-faced, black-bearded god who is one of Taiwan's most popular deities. His appeal comes from his soldierly exploits and loyalty in the early third century A.D. He is immortalized in a famous novel, "The Romance of the Three Kingdoms," a continuing source of stories for movies, television serials and comic books.

What He'd Do There: Hsing Tien is distinguished from most of Taipei's folk temples by its austere lines and attractive roofs that sweep upward with muscular grace. Architecture aside, this is a great place for people watching, since Kuan Kung is the patron deity of many groups, including soldiers, policemen and merchants. The temple is also a stop for many of Taipei's working ladies, who burn incense and offer prayers before hurrying off to bars, pubs, KTV parlors, and other all-night spots. There's always a relaxed crowd of all ages enjoying the warm communal spirit of the place.

Be sure to wander outside the temple's walls, where there is snack food, incense and religious paraphernalia for sale. Then walk through the intersection's underpass. There, you'll find vendors who specialize in removing facial hair by methods that are centuries old as well as rows of fortunetellers.

Why You Should Go: It's a congenial, safe and enjoyable mix of people, and a compelling blend of history and modernity.

Updated February 1, 2002 12:01 a.m. EST
vuyl

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Culture & History