Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

A Pail of Oysters, banned White Terror novel, finally rereleased

Moderator: hansioux

A Pail of Oysters, banned White Terror novel, finally rereleased

Postby Camphor Press » 28 Feb 2016, 18:44

Set against the political repression and poverty of the White Terror era, A Pail of Oysters tells the moving story of nineteen-year-old villager Li Liu and his quest to recover his family’s stolen kitchen god. Li Liu’s fate becomes entwined with that of American journalist Ralph Barton, who, in trying to report honestly about KMT rule of the island, investigates the situation beyond the propaganda, learns of a massacre, and is drawn into the world of the Formosan underground.

The Chicago Sunday Tribune said, “This book will hold the reader enthralled to the very end and will probably give him more information about this unhappy spot than he has gathered before. It will certainly not win converts to the side of the generalissimo.” Indeed, the novel made enemies. Banned in Taiwan, in the United States it was denounced by Chiang Kai-shek’s supporters: the powerful China Lobby. Anecdotal evidence suggests – and Sneider himself suspected – that his book was subject to suppression even in the United States by pro-KMT agents.

A Pail of Oysters is a landmark work from a time when novels were often seen as a moral force. But politics and historical importance aside, A Pail of Oysters is simply a good story well told. In the words of the San Francisco Chronicle, “The novel is touching, tragic and oddly gay sometimes in spite of this; a testimony to the stubbornly optimistic human spirit.”

This Camphor Press edition comes with a new introduction and a brief biography of the author, both by Jonathan Benda. There's a write-up about it in the Taipei Times today. You can buy the e-book now through our website for just US$2.99, and a paperback version is being typeset as we speak.
Camphor Press
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 26 Aug 2002

Re: A Pail of Oysters, banned White Terror novel, finally rereleased

Postby Camphor Press » 01 Mar 2016, 19:56

After some complications with the Amazon listing (unfortunately out of our hands) the e-book is now live there too.
Camphor Press

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby urodacus » 01 Mar 2016, 23:48

A pail of oysters in Taiwan inevitably has at least one that will make you very, very sick.

Trust me, I've been there twice. I have eaten oysters in Taiwan exactly twice.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Camphor Press » 14 Mar 2016, 18:45

Michael Turton has some very kind things to say about A Pail of Oysters.

"As good as the book itself is Jonathan Benda's outstanding and informative introduction (well worth the price of admission), which discusses the history of the work and its subsequent suppression, including McCarthyite attacks on Sneider himself by US government officials."

"This edition shines."

"At $2.99, this story of early post-war history in Taiwan should not be missed. I cried my eyes out at the beautiful ending of this sad, chilling, and revealing account of the horrors of the KMT regime. You will too."
Camphor Press

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Camphor Press » 25 Apr 2016, 16:08

A Pail of Oysters is now available to pre-order in paperback for US$12.99. Between now and 1 May you'll get free shipping worldwide with your order. Books will ship in mid-May, and I hope I've ordered enough (the volume of e-book sales in the first month or so has been unprecendented for us).

https://camphorpress.com/books/a-pail-of-oysters/

Camphor Press

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Culture & History