Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Request for info about old Kaohsiung Railway Station building

Moderator: hansioux

Request for info about old Kaohsiung Railway Station building

Postby MattInSydney » 20 Mar 2016, 12:51

I'm wondering whether anyone has information about the Old Kaohsiung Railway Station building which was designed and built by the Japanese in the 1930s.

I was very struck by this building on a recent visit, and found it very charming and unusual. However, objectively speaking, it's perhaps not the greatest piece of architecture, and there were other finer buildings built by the Japanese in Taiwan.

I was quite surprised to learn that in 1992 (correction 2002) it was moved approximately 60 metres from its original location to where it stands now. This took enormous engineering resources, and cost millions of dollars. I understand it will eventually be moved back to its original location – again at enormous cost.

I'm hoping to find out why it was moved. Apparently the Taiwan Railway Administration was originally going to demolish the building but was prevented from doing so.

Does anyone have any historical information about the building's move, such as newspaper coverage from that time, etc.?

I am assuming there was community discussion of some sort. It would be interesting to know the reasons why so much trouble was taken to preserve it intact.

Is there some significance as a part of Taiwan's history -- or was the local community just very fond of the building as a part of their own family stories, etc.?

MattInSydney
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Request for info about old Kaohsiung Railway Station building

Postby Tempo Gain » 20 Mar 2016, 18:06

There's an article here, but it describes a 2002 move.

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/news/2002/0 ... ailway.htm

"Being alive is the meaning." -- Joseph Campbell

"Well I don't guess it has to be, but that's the way we like it." -- Roger Waters

There's only one thing left for me to do momma I gotta ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby MattInSydney » 21 Mar 2016, 09:37

Thanks yes, the move took place in 2002.
My mistake, now corrected.
MattInSydney

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby hansioux » 21 Mar 2016, 11:04

The building was built by the Shimizu Corporation, which is still in operation today in Japan. It's roof was designed to echo Tang dynasty architecture, which usually is reserved for temples and nobles in Japan.

In 2002, after the public halted its demolition, the move was again tasked to the Shimizu Corporation, the company that built it in the first place. Shimizu has a branch in Taiwan called Jipu (吉普) and carried out the move. They first dug down to the station's foundations, then held it in place with hydraulics, fitted them with wheel platforms, sort of like putting the station on roller skates. They then laid dozens of tracks under the station, and slowly rolled the station towards it's new location.

The move began on Aug. 16th. The hydraulics that drove the forward motion could only push the 3,500 ton station forward 60cm at a time. Afterwards they had to reset which took about an hour, which meant the average speed was about 1cm per minute.

Originally the city planned to have 10 thousand citizens come out and pull the station forward with ropes, however those in charge of engineering pointed out that would only work for smaller buildings. Since the original Takao Eki is an RC building, it's impossible to pull it using man power, and they needed a slow and steady driving power to prevent damaging the structure. In the end the city had a ceremonial pulling the station with ropes, and the rest were done by hydraulics.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby afterspivak » 22 Mar 2016, 08:22

Great post!

Hansioux: what's an "RC building"?

Guy
afterspivak
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

Postby MattInSydney » 22 Mar 2016, 08:52

Afterspivak, I think "RC" is Reinforced Concrete.

I went inside and saw that the original railway clock had been tucked away in a corner, waiting to be re-mounted on the front of the building. I guess, a few decades ago, that might have been the most important clock in Kaohsiung.
MattInSydney

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Culture & History