Books on Taiwan: something for everyone

Moderator: hansioux

Re: Books on Taiwan: something for everyone

Postby Mucha Man » 24 Nov 2008, 18:50

I've been trying out some of these titles on Google Book Search (Beta) and many are available.

http://books.google.com/books
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

802 Recognized(s)

Postby Elegua » 25 Nov 2008, 09:31

While possibly too prosaic for this well read crow, liked reading Pai Hsien (Xian) Yong's Taipei People and Huang Chunming's The Taste of Apples back to back. I felt like they gave a good perspective on the Taiwanese view vs the WSR view.

While not serious literature, I've always enjoyed reading JinYong. The Chinese is very accessible for medium-level Chinese readers.
Pleasant it is, when over a great sea the winds trouble the waters, to gaze from shore upon another's great tribulation

"Lord, we ain't what we oughta be. We ain't what we want to be. We ain't what we gonna be. But, thank God, we ain't what we was."
Forumosan avatar
Elegua
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

14 Recommends(s)
64 Recognized(s)

Postby chung » 06 Dec 2008, 16:25

more thought-provoking books for those interested in Taiwan's colonial past

Steere, Joseph Beal. 2002. Formosa and Its Inhabitants, edited by Paul Li. Institute of Taiwan History (Preparatory Office), Academia Sinica. ISBN 957-671-901-1
This book is a collection of papers from Steere's 1873-1874 expedition through Formosa.

Katz, Paul R. 2005. When Valleys Turned Blood Red: The Ta-pa-ni Incident in Colonial Taiwan. Taipei, SMC. ISBN 957-638-687-X

Eskildsen, Robert (Ed.) 2005. Foreign Adventurers and the Aborigines of Southern Taiwan, 1867-1874. Institute of Taiwan History (Preparatory Office), Academic Sinica. ISBN 986-00-3788-4
"Humanity makes it a law to civilized nations to see that that portion of Formosa is kept clear of any of the inhospitable hordes that infest it, and if your Government does not do it, on the ground that it has no jurisdiction therein, or that it has not the ability or the power to perform the task, the foreign powers will have to take the case in hand."

Dodd, John. 1888. Journal of a Blockaded Resident in North Formosa, 1884-1885. (Reprint) Taipei. Ch'eng Wen, 1972.
"The Chinese town of Kelung is without doubt the filthiest abode of human beings in the whole island. It is built on low marshy land, originally perhaps a mud flat formed by filling in of the harbour. A more miserable and unhealthy site, in a semi-tropical, rainy locality, could not have been pitched upon."

Clark, J.D. 1896. Formosa. Shanghai Mercury, (Reprint) Taipei. Ch'eng Wen, 1971.
Clark puts together a nice summary of the island's economy during the last days of Ching rule. Over half of the book is dedicated to an examination of imports and exports through various treaty ports. There's also lots interesting trivia. In 1888 a return fare on the Taipei-Keelung railway was 10 cents. English stamps were used as tickets.

Andrade, Tonio. 2008. How Taiwan Became Chinese: Dutch, Spanish, and Han Colonization in the Seventeenth Century. Columbia University Press. ISBN 978-0-231-12855-1
http://www.gutenberg-e.org/andrade/

Kaplan, David E. 1992. Fires of the Dragon. New York, Anteneum. ISBN 0-689-12006-4
"Hidden in the controversy - and complicating the American response - was the nature of Wang Hsi-ling's relationship to the U.S government. Known to only a few in the CIA, the KMT's spy chief in America had diversified his clientele. While attempting to sabotage U.S foreign policy, steal military secrets, and spy on its citizens, Wang also had gone to work for the Americans."
chung
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

2 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby yaoshema » 05 Jan 2010, 16:22

"Forbidden Nation" -- by far the best overview of Taiwan history.
Forumosan avatar
yaoshema
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby Taiwanlight Zone » 09 Apr 2010, 19:26

"Forbidden Nation" is excellent, yes. I've just finished reading it and it brings the whole history of Taiwan (almost up to the present day) very much to life.
Taiwanlight Zone
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

1 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby StevenCrook » 08 Jul 2010, 15:17

Time to blow my own trumpet. My second book is out, finally, although there was a bit of a problem with the name printed on it.

If you care to read about the name issue and the book itself, see:
http://crooksteven.blogspot.com/2010/05 ... unced.html

I've no idea if the book is for sale in Taiwan. I got paid a flat fee, and after the name debacle, I'm not inclined to bust my guts promoting it.
My books, available from Amazon.com or directly from me:
TAIWAN: THE BRADT TRAVEL GUIDE (2nd ed coming soon!)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (1st ed)

Available via Amazon.com:
KEEPING UP WITH THE WAR GOD (2nd ed, Kindle only)
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN (Kindle edition)
TAIWAN FOR CULTURE VULTURES
StevenCrook
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

5 Recognized(s)

Postby StevenCrook » 07 Aug 2010, 06:42

The publisher of DO & DONT'S TAIWAN has resolved the name issue to my satisfaction (and that of the illustrator) and I'm told the book is on sale in Taiwan. Not sure where - will post details when I get them.
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN

StevenCrook

5 Recognized(s)

Postby saddletramp » 07 Aug 2010, 10:55

Steven, Look forward to reading it. Hope you write some more on alternative energy as well!
Forumosan avatar
saddletramp

113 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby StevenCrook » 22 Nov 2010, 16:35

StevenCrook wrote:The publisher of DO & DONT'S TAIWAN has resolved the name issue to my satisfaction (and that of the illustrator) and I'm told the book is on sale in Taiwan. Not sure where - will post details when I get them.

I'm told DOS & DON'TS IN TAIWAN can now be had from Page One, Kinokuniya, and six of the island's Caves.

While on the subject of my books, I've spare author's copies of my newest, TAIWAN: THE BRADT TRAVEL GUIDE, and I'm willing to sell them. Send me a pm if you're interested.
DOS AND DON'TS IN TAIWAN

StevenCrook

5 Recognized(s)

Postby Enigma » 17 Apr 2011, 23:29

I just finished this book about the early days of North Taiwan. It's a biography of G. L. Mackay. Very interesting.
The Black-Bearded Barbarian by Mary Esther Miller MacGregor (AKA Marion Keith)
and it's free at
Gutenberg.org

Download in various formats or read online.
Enjoy
Enigma
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

15 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Culture & History