Taiwanese Inventions

Moderator: hansioux

Re: Taiwanese Inventions

Postby housecat » 06 Oct 2011, 21:38

navillus wrote:Also came across this article from this year: Taiwan shines with innovative inventions at Geneva exhibition.

The article sites an ancient Chinese crossbow (hardly a new invention if it's ancient), and changeable heels for ladies shoes, and a "portable urine collector" (which I really, really hope is not an empty plastic bottle, like it is back in Arkansas). WOW.
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

95 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 06 Oct 2011, 21:42

The things people collect nowadays. Back in my day, it was stamps and airfix models.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

668 Recommends(s)
544 Recognized(s)

Postby sam_wong » 12 Oct 2011, 16:14

This is mostly stupid racism. Chinese people invented most important things, like gunpowder, paper and printing over a thousand years ago. Now some American hires Taiwanese to invent stuff like iPods and claims he did it himself. Ugly Americans!
sam_wong
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

28 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 12 Oct 2011, 16:28

sam_wong wrote:This is mostly stupid racism. Chinese people invented most important things, like gunpowder, paper and printing over a thousand years ago. Now some American hires Taiwanese to invent stuff like iPods and claims he did it himself. Ugly Americans!

So you're saying modern warfare and deforestation is all China's fault...? ;)

I think the OP's point was that there isn't much inventing happening now in China or Taiwan. Not only is there a lot of copying going on, it's not even very good copying.

No single person "invented" the iPod. It was an evolution that happened over several years across many different companies, each making a contribution. Apple just happened to come up with a nice variant of an existing product that appealed to a mass market. I have no idea who was responsible for that concept, but I imagine it was a small team (2-3 people) of very talented designers, not an individual.

Even a lot of genuine inventions appeared simultaneously in different places (the integrated circuit is a classic example). Unfortunately, one person often gets the credit while others are (usually) forgotten. That's life.

If you can name a single important invention that emerged from China or Taiwan in the last (say) 50 years, post the details here, rather than just making unsubstantiated accusations that the Americans steal all their ideas from the Chinese. I personally can't think of anything.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley

668 Recommends(s)
544 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 13 Oct 2011, 10:01

Instant noodles.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

218 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 13 Oct 2011, 10:09

tomthorne wrote:Instant noodles.

I thought those were Japanese?
Forumosan avatar
housecat

95 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 13 Oct 2011, 10:10

housecat wrote:
tomthorne wrote:Instant noodles.

I thought those were Japanese?

He was half-Taiwanese and born in Taiwan.

EDIT: actually it looks like he was totally Taiwanese, but did all his business in Japan after emigrating there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momofuku_Ando
tomthorne

218 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 13 Oct 2011, 13:19

Private entities making money with stolen national funds ... than selling off the funds claiming they are ... their own ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1 Recommends(s)
60 Recognized(s)

Postby sam_wong » 01 Nov 2011, 00:04

Taiwanese inventions win big

This is news today for you people who say Taiwan people cannot invent anything!
sam_wong

28 Recognized(s)

Postby shawn_c » 01 Nov 2011, 00:18

The adjustable sun-tanning chair was invented in Taiwan.

Mongolian barbecue (蒙古烤肉 / Měnggǔ kǎoròu) is a stir-fried dish that was developed in Taiwanese restaurants in the 1970s.

Since Bubble Tea was invented in Taiwan, it follows that the fat straw for bubble tea must've been invented here, too.

How about various forms of alcohol; such as gaoliang or Tunnel 88... how about Apple Sidra?

Oh yeah, and the owner of Runtex Construction (owner of RT-Mart) has invented and won many awards for his high-rise manufacturing techniques. I saw it on Discovery, and they do several things which are different from normal construction: they pre-cast the beams and columns, which fit together like Lego at the construction site; within their columns, the rebar spirals about the axis, rather than straight up-and-down; etc.
Looking for a handmade paper wallet? http://sidonieyang.etsy.com
Forumosan avatar
shawn_c
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

169 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Previous

x

Return to Culture & History