Taiwan Key Dates and Trivia

Moderator: hansioux

Postby zeugmite » 27 Apr 2005, 08:18

Why start at Portuguese? There were Chinese living in Penghu and administering it long before the first date mentioned here. There were records of sightings of Taiwan and associated islands by Chinese sources long before the first date here, too.

1684: April, Taiwan is made a prefecture of Fujian to prevent the island from falling into foreign hands again. Shih Lang cites sulfur as a strategic commodity to retain the island.

This one will slap those T.I.er revisionists good.

1994: March 31, twenty-four Taiwanese tourists are robbed and murdered in the Thousand Island Lake Incident in which the People's Liberation Army was heavily involved.

Never heard of this. PLA was heavily involved how?
And then Master mused, "I hate it when they say 'we human' this, 'we human' that. I am Taiwanese, not human!"
zeugmite
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

Postby Sean Su » 16 Aug 2006, 17:27

zeugmite wrote:Why start at Portuguese? There were Chinese living in Penghu and administering it long before the first date mentioned here. There were records of sightings of Taiwan and associated islands by Chinese sources long before the first date here, too.

1684: April, Taiwan is made a prefecture of Fujian to prevent the island from falling into foreign hands again. Shih Lang cites sulfur as a strategic commodity to retain the island.

Really, does it precede 1544? I mean you're making this a finders keepers sort of thing. So whatever lands that Chinese people see belongs to China forever? Wow. "That outta slap those T.I.er revisionists good." :wink: What about the part where a Chinese official suddenly decides that all Taiwanese are no longer foreigners but "Han"?
visit taiwanmatters.blogspot.com, it rocks!
Forumosan avatar
Sean Su
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

Postby Hartzell » 05 Dec 2007, 18:01

Here is a good summary of the last 125 years of Taiwanese history, and the relevant implications of the historical events from the viewpoint of international law --

Summary of Taiwan's International Legal Position
http://www.taiwankey.net/dc/suippext.htm
Richard W. Hartzell
contact me by email at rwh.midway@gmail.com
Neihu District, Taipei (114)
Forumosan avatar
Hartzell
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

18 Recognized(s)

Postby TNT » 06 Dec 2007, 12:22

Tsunamis in Taiwan
June 11, 1867 North-east Earthquake Keelung (Jilong) 7.5 m (estimated) - originated from a under sea volcanic eruption off the north coast. According to estimates 100’s of people were killed in Keelung (Jilong) city
May 6, 1918 North-east Earthquake Keelung (Jilong) 3.7 m (estimated)
October 22, 1951 East Earthquake Hualian -0.3 m
May 24, 1960 Chilean Earthquake Hualian 0.3 m Keelung (Jilong) 0.6 m
March 28, 1964 Alaska Earthquake Hualian 0.15 m

RE: French occupation of Keelung (Jilong). A graveyard exists in Keelung (Jilong) where French soldiers were buried. It looks well maintained
Nuair a bhíonn an fíon istigh,
bíonn an ciall amuigh
TNT
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

Postby TNT » 06 Dec 2007, 12:27

iris wrote:Cool, Maowang, I'll save this and print it out if that's alright with you. I'm also thinking of translating it to German for those few friends and relatives that actually show INTEREST in Taiwan instead of confusing it with Thailand or worse dismissing it as part of China.

Thanks!
Iris

Maybe this should be translated to Chinese also if a Chinese version is not available. Doubt many of people would know the history in this detail, and I doubt ROC history books would list it as such
Nuair a bhíonn an fíon istigh,
bíonn an ciall amuigh
TNT
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

Re: Taiwan Key Dates and Trivia

Postby Vorkosigan » 14 Dec 2009, 06:57

First census by Japanese -- literacy rate was much higher, but Japanese counted as "literate" only those literate in Japanese. Excellent work!
Vorkosigan
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

4 Recognized(s)

Previous

x

Return to Culture & History