Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Map of old Taipei

Moderator: hansioux

Re: Map of old Taipei

Postby Tempo Gain » 25 May 2009, 14:05

Not sure where the bailing playing fields are, but the princeton map terminates around Jiantan after all. How are you seeing the waishuangxi on it? I'm guessing from where that map leaves off the river headed north between chengde and jihe, then shishang and jihe roads. If you look on google maps you can see pretty clearly that that whole swath is newer development. That would have left all of Shilin west of chengde/shishang on the other side of the river, on the same island with shezi, unless there was some sort of stream or flood plain where the current river bed is. You can also trace the trail on google maps pretty well where the outlet to the Danshui river separating shezi island was.

"Being alive is the meaning." -- Joseph Campbell

"Well I don't guess it has to be, but that's the way we like it." -- Roger Waters

There's only one thing left for me to do momma I gotta ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby the bear » 25 May 2009, 16:19

Ah I get it....what I read as the Waishuang stream is the Keelung (Jilong) itself heading north and the bit to the left is an off-shoot making an early break for the Danshui! Bingo. Yes so your reading is correct....
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
the bear
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

In Taiwan since: 23 Aug 1990

Re:

Postby Lord Lucan » 25 May 2009, 22:17

Poagao wrote:Nice map, horrible interface. Is there a way to download the map directly?

What export button? :ponder:
Lord Lucan
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

Re: Re:

Postby Chris » 25 May 2009, 22:46

Lord Lucan wrote:
Poagao wrote:Nice map, horrible interface. Is there a way to download the map directly?

What export button? :ponder:

Don't know what happened to it in the intervening years...
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Tempo Gain » 31 May 2009, 12:53

The map on page 4 here shows the old Keelung (Jilong) River course circa 1904.

http://tgnis.ascc.net/conference/doc/fulltext/C3.pdf

"Being alive is the meaning." -- Joseph Campbell

"Well I don't guess it has to be, but that's the way we like it." -- Roger Waters

There's only one thing left for me to do momma I gotta ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby hansioux » 21 Aug 2015, 13:58

reviving this thread:

http://www.twmemory.org/?p=8265

This Japanese map of Northern Taiwan was published in 1896, just one year after the annexation of Taiwan.

Previous thread on Taiwan's old rail line maps
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... &p=1545384
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby Gonzalez » 21 Aug 2015, 21:11

Everything is so very interesting. Thank you very much for sharing all the images.
Gonzalez
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby hansioux » 21 Aug 2015, 23:41

like to point out there was a location in Miaoli called 打那 on that map, which should have been 打那叭 Tanapa. It's the name of a creek and a Pazeh village. Today the creek is more widely known as Xihu creek. There's another river by the name of 打木溪 Tabok creek nearby.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Culture & History