Japanese (wartime) military tunnels under Taipei

Moderator: hansioux

Japanese (wartime) military tunnels under Taipei

Postby Dangermouse » 19 Mar 2007, 02:14

Quite interesting.

Whilst doing some urban exploration a few weeks ago I stumbled upon an abandoned military outpost on the outskirts of central Taipei.
Apart from being the usual time capsule (ammo boxes; bits of uniform - hats etc),
I found a hatch which was rusted shut and seemed not to have been opened for years.

After opening the hatch and fighting off sinister cobwebs with a stick, I dropped down through the hatch onto some steps into what I thought was a cellar.
However, it was something far more unusual: an expanse of forgotten tunnels.

These tunnels go on for ages and still haven't been fully explored by myself. They go deep under streets and seem to go, from what I can work out, under a "famous" night market in Taipei. There are a few Japanese inscriptions on the walls written in chalk, plus some interesting artifacts.

I don't particularly want to inform people of the location on a forum as it is a good secret. This is something interesting and forgotten to society and should be left that way.

However, I did take a few pictures. Here's a couple:

Dangermouse
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby jdsmith » 19 Mar 2007, 07:25

Shall we use it as headquarters in the fight to overthrow the government?

That's some wild shit DM. You gonna give tours? My son and I would love it down there, and we'd get some LED lamps to attach to our heads.

Coolness!
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby canucktyuktuk » 19 Mar 2007, 09:52

Wow! That's so cool!
canucktyuktuk
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

9 Recognized(s)

Postby almas john » 19 Mar 2007, 10:09

Exploring underground tunnels? I'd be worried about Doctor Evil having a Nam flashback and blowing the shit out of the "Gooks" and the tunnels.
almas john
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

24 Recommends(s)
60 Recognized(s)

Postby Lord Lucan » 19 Mar 2007, 10:10

Very cool. I wish I was in Taipei so I could go and have a nosey around. Do post more pictures!
Forumosan avatar
Lord Lucan
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

4 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 19 Mar 2007, 10:24

I don't blame you for wanting to keep it secret. Unspoiled, pristine historical sites are a rare treasure.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

91 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 19 Mar 2007, 10:35

I have had some old guys, well 1 old guy and a native mountain guy down further south who was in his 60's, tell me that there are a lot of these around the island.
I think the Taiwan Army did a mapping of them, well at least to the entrance to a lot of them, back in the early 60's. Now as to where those maps are is anyones guess.
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby Poagao » 19 Mar 2007, 10:44

Ah, man, could really have used these for the movie. Oh, well. Maybe the next one. I'd still like to go take a look, though. PM me with the location?
Forumosan avatar
Poagao
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

5 Recommends(s)
74 Recognized(s)

Postby Kahna » 19 Mar 2007, 10:50

TainanCowboy wrote:Now as to where those maps are is anyones guess.

Found one! Pretty extensive network, it seems.

http://www.urbanrail.de/as/taip/taipei.htm

Aha. Aha. Aha. Sorryi'lljustbeoffthen :roll:
If you doubt this is possible, how is it there are PYGMIES + DWARFS??
Kahna
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

1 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 19 Mar 2007, 11:06

Cool, until they catch you and put behind bars for trespassing ... military bases or off limits even when abandoned ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
84 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Culture & History