Michelle Pan

Moderator: hansioux

Re: Michelle Pan

Postby sjcma » 30 Oct 2008, 22:57

tommy525 wrote:
Omniloquacious wrote:My other favourite local songstress from my early days in Taiwan was Chen Su-hua (陳淑樺), and this (滾滾紅塵) is my favourite of her songs.

wow forgotten that song and singer, but wow on both counts

Its true, there was a lot of class and talent then. The songs were more romantic.

Mandopop is different now.

For a time, 陳淑樺 (Sarah Chen) was my favourite singer. 滾滾紅塵 is the theme song to the movie by the same title -- excellent movie, btw. The song is depressing though. My other favourite by 陳淑樺 is 夢醒時分.

Both songs were written by Mandopop giants, the former by Luo Dayou 羅大佑 and the latter by Jonathan Lee 李宗盛.

Not a fan of Michelle Pan though.
If you aren’t failing, then you aren’t trying hard enough.
Forumosan avatar
sjcma
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 31 Oct 2008, 03:08

sjcma wrote:
tommy525 wrote:
Omniloquacious wrote:My other favourite local songstress from my early days in Taiwan was Chen Su-hua (陳淑樺), and this (滾滾紅塵) is my favourite of her songs.

wow forgotten that song and singer, but wow on both counts

Its true, there was a lot of class and talent then. The songs were more romantic.

Mandopop is different now.

For a time, 陳淑樺 (Sarah Chen) was my favourite singer. 滾滾紅塵 is the theme song to the movie by the same title -- excellent movie, btw. The song is depressing though. My other favourite by 陳淑樺 is 夢醒時分.

Both songs were written by Mandopop giants, the former by Luo Dayou 羅大佑 and the latter by Jonathan Lee 李宗盛.

Not a fan of Michelle Pan though.

Hey your links didnt work cept for the last one, and ya that song sure got a lot of radio play then. Catchy.
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

580 Recommends(s)
366 Recognized(s)

Postby reztrop » 31 Oct 2008, 05:43

This song from Chen Su-hua was also very good: 笑紅塵

She and Taiwan screen legend 林青霞 (Brigitte Lin) looked quite alike.
reztrop
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby sjcma » 31 Oct 2008, 07:54

reztrop wrote:This song from Chen Su-hua was also very good: 笑紅塵

She and Taiwan screen legend 林青霞 (Brigitte Lin) looked quite alike.

Brigitte Lin was the star of 滾滾紅塵, the movie.
Sarah Chen was the singer of 滾滾紅塵, the theme song.

Funny how you never see the two in the same room at the same time...hmmm...

Sorry to have hijacked your Michelle Pan thread. Her voice and songs never did much for me. My 80s nostalgia include Julie Su 蘇芮's 酒干倘賣無 and Sylvia Chang 張艾嘉's 童年 and 是否 (later covered by 蘇芮).
Forumosan avatar
sjcma

3 Recognized(s)

Postby reztrop » 31 Oct 2008, 10:45

I remember listening to 是否 back in the early 80s. It was a big hit then. All the bookstores and department stores were playing it. Another classic Luo Dayou penned.

酒干倘賣無 was my mom's favorite.

In addition to 童年 and 是否, Luo Dayou also wrote many of Michelle Pan's songs (無言的歌 and 愛的箴言, which Teresa Teng later performed).
reztrop

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby sjcma » 31 Oct 2008, 12:07

reztrop wrote:In addition to 童年 and 是否, Luo Dayou also wrote many of Michelle Pan's songs (無言的歌 and 愛的箴言, which Teresa Teng later performed).

There's no comparison, Teresa Teng did them much much much much better.
Forumosan avatar
sjcma

3 Recognized(s)

Postby reztrop » 31 Oct 2008, 13:44

There's no comparison, Teresa Teng did them much much much much better.

That's true. Teresa Teng is a class of her own.

I actually think though that Michelle had a better voice than Teresa. Teresa's delivery is flawless. You can't beat Teresa on delivery.

But if you listen closely to Teresa's songs, her singing voice is the same syrupy mellow style. Michelle actually had the more diverse vocal range (ranging from deep bass to high pitch).

Also Teresa was in the industry for three decades, and had the luxury of name recognition. Michelle didn't have a good manager by the end of the 80s to advance her career, and therefore has the misfortune of having a far obscure reputation. One decade versus three decades is a bit unfair I think.

Of course, comparing these two versions is like comparing apples to oranges. Teresa wins this one hands down at first glance. Her voice is sweet and she easily trumps Michelle on delivery. But Michelle has the more attractive voice. Call me a heretic if you must. :)

Michelle's rendition

Teresa's rendition
reztrop

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby sjcma » 31 Oct 2008, 13:54

reztrop wrote:Of course, comparing these two versions is like comparing apples to oranges. Teresa wins this one hands down at first glance. Her voice is sweet and she easily trumps Michelle on delivery. But Michelle has the more attractive voice. Call me a heretic if you must. :)

Michelle's rendition

Teresa's rendition
Heretic!!

Teresa's voice is sweet. Sarah Chen's voice is ... how should I put it ... 很有女人味道, very similar to Winnie Hsin 辛曉琪, well controlled and not overly dramatic. Michelle's voice is a bit rougher around the edges.

Personal tastes really.
Forumosan avatar
sjcma

3 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 31 Oct 2008, 15:06

These other ladies were all superb but the diva of them all is/was Teresa Teng. And she truly was in a class by herself.

For many years Judy Ong (taiwan born singer who gained fame in Japan) was top dog so to speak. Shes still alive but Teresa is not.
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

580 Recommends(s)
366 Recognized(s)

Postby Rotalsnart » 31 Oct 2008, 15:19

reztrop wrote:Any fans of Michelle Pan (潘越云)

It just happens that Michelle Pan (潘越云) is performing at the Riverside Live House (new venue opened by the Riverside Cafe) next month, November 16. Tix are NT$600. Check their website for more info at http://www.riverside.com.tw/livehouse/
Rotalsnart
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

74 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Culture & History