English names: practical or just pretentious?

Moderator: hansioux

Postby Big Fluffy Matthew » 27 Mar 2003, 08:58

Posting in Chinese on a Engish forum: practical or just pretentious ?
Forumosan avatar
Big Fluffy Matthew
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Sir Donald Bradman » 27 Mar 2003, 12:31

Yeah, maybe, but there is a useful purpose for using English names which is if you're doing business with westerners, most will find harder to remember Chinese names. I quite like what some HK stars do which is use an English name plus a whole Chiense name, like Tony Leung Kar Wai.

Brian
Sir Don has retired. Any PMs or questions about any of my posts, should be directed to Bu Lai En.
Sir Donald Bradman
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Big Fluffy Matthew » 27 Mar 2003, 12:58

Is it pretentious to call yourself Jimmy ? Not really.
Is it pretentious to call yourself Apollo, Bonky or Satan ? definately
Forumosan avatar
Big Fluffy Matthew
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby amos » 27 Mar 2003, 21:38

If Lee Tung Hui had and english name, it would've saved me from calling him Lee Tung Huewee for the 6months prior to arrival.
Forumosan avatar
amos
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

Postby Big Fluffy Matthew » 27 Mar 2003, 22:22

It seems that it's mostly entertainers that use English names, very few politicians do, only James Soong and Annette Lu come to mind. if Chen Shui-Bian called himself Charlie Chen, it wouldn't quite be the same, seems like an unnatural mixture of English and Chinese names, doesn't seem quite right for politicians somehow, especially ones who have no interest in English.
Maybe it's not so important for entertainers, it does them good to look eccentric.
Forumosan avatar
Big Fluffy Matthew
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Screaming Jesus » 28 Mar 2003, 06:37

It's more common in Hong Kong and Singapore. And they usually pick names they know to be normal-sounding, for business purposes. But there's no official recognition or registry for these names.

When adult Christians are baptized, they are often given a saint's name. These are usually English, or at least adaptable into English. And it's not necessary to make any official change to one's name.

I wonder if CKS ever had an English name? If so, wonder what it was?
Screaming Jesus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Poagao » 28 Mar 2003, 09:18

matthewh wrote:Posting in Chinese on a Engish forum: practical or just pretentious ?

Ha! Good one! :D
Forumosan avatar
Poagao
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

5 Recommends(s)
70 Recognized(s)

Postby Big Fluffy Matthew » 28 Mar 2003, 09:28

Screaming Jesus wrote:I wonder if CKS ever had an English name? If so, wonder what it was?

No, but had had about 3 or 4 chinese names: practical or pretentious ?
Forumosan avatar
Big Fluffy Matthew
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby formosa » 28 Mar 2003, 10:53

Notice Japanese hardly ever take English names in Japan. It's partly out of chauvinism and national pride, and partly because their names are easy to pronouce and remember in roman letters. AYUMI HAMAZAKI for example. She would never be COCO HAMAZAKI in Japan. But in general, I feel it is a good idea, in this world of globalization and modern communications, for a Taiwanese person to take an English name for business, political or just naming reasons when dealing with the outside world. As someone said above, just easier to remember. Annette Lu and James Soong. Her name in Chinese is easy to remember, LOO SHO LIEN, but Soong's name I can never remember, so I like James Soong as a name.

The younger generation seems into English names, but not the older folks, natch. So just wait a while.

Lee Teng hui did have a Japanese name, Amos, when the Japanese were here. Something like Isao Iwate or something.
formosa

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Culture & History