Why China Will Never Rule the World, a new book

Moderator: hansioux

Why China Will Never Rule the World, a new book

Postby Ed Lakewood » 14 Jan 2011, 07:31

Good-day fellow Forumosans,

Well, I'm back from the drawing board with a new book called Why China Will Never Rule the World: Travels in the Two Chinas. The official date of publication has been set at June 4, 2011 and the book should be available from all major bookstores in North America as well as 40 online retailers, including Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Wal-Mart, and so on. The book is being published in Canada and printed in and distributed from the United States. There is a marketing campaign in place, but that doesn't preclude failure, goodness knows. I've sacrificed a lot to write this book, penned next to the Danshui River and along the frozen shores of the Bay of Fundy, and feel it is a much stronger effort than my first, which, in retrospect, seems rather derivative and disjointed; perhaps even a touch puerile. I probably won't be available to field questions for a while (if anyone has any, that is) because I'm going to be too busy helping my publisher promote the thing, but if you'd like to learn more, you can go to http://www.troyparfitt.com to read an excerpt, take a look at the cover, etc. I should mention that the site is still under construction.

Thank you,

Ed Lakewood
Ed Lakewood
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)

Re: Why China Will Never Rule the World, a new book

Postby the chief » 14 Jan 2011, 08:37

Ed Lakewood wrote:Good-day fellow Forumosans,

Well, I'm back from the drawing board with a new book called Why China Will Never Rule the World: Travels in the Two Chinas. The official date of publication has been set at June 4, 2011 and the book should be available from all major bookstores in North America as well as 40 online retailers, including Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Wal-Mart, and so on. The book is being published in Canada and printed in and distributed from the United States. There is a marketing campaign in place, but that doesn't preclude failure, goodness knows. I've sacrificed a lot to write this book, penned next to the Danshui River and along the frozen shores of the Bay of Fundy, and feel it is a much stronger effort than my first, which, in retrospect, seems rather derivative and disjointed; perhaps even a touch puerile. I probably won't be available to field questions for a while (if anyone has any, that is) because I'm going to be too busy helping my publisher promote the thing, but if you'd like to learn more, you can go to http://www.troyparfitt.com to read an excerpt, take a look at the cover, etc.

Thank you,

Ed Lakewood

Dear Ed,
Looking good, I eagerly anticipate reading it.
I'll forgo my usual reticence and let you know if I think you're full of shit or not.
Two questions.
First, why didn't you use your real name as the author? The pen name you chose sounds fakey as hell.
Second, OK, I can understand if the photo shoot for your promo shots was scheduled during your lunch break from your Mall Security gig, but maybe you should have brought a change of clothes. Just saying is all.

I keed, I keed, seriously, good luck with the new book.
It would be nice if one fucking good thing managed to come out of New Brunswick.
And hey, no matter what happens, you can always say it's better than that SARS and Sex POS. :thumbsup:
"Got to hurry back to my hotel room
Where I got me a date with a pretty little girl from Split"

You're driftin' out of touch, Doc. G_d help us all.

"They wanted Hellboy, they got Hellboy."
-superking

Fully ordained Dudeist Priest, CLDD in good standing, available for weddings, funerals, and league semifinals, PM me.
Forumosan avatar
the chief
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

24 Recommends(s)
73 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 14 Jan 2011, 09:18

If you go to the websited linked to above and click on praise for the book, it says, "Coming soon!"

I'm sorry, but that funny in a sick, sadistic kind of way.

Anyway, I'd like to read this book and I do wish you well.
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

Postby Ed Lakewood » 16 Jan 2011, 01:14

You're right. I do look like a mall cop, don't I? I should have a speech bubble floating in front of my melon saying, "You're banned for a week you filthy little punks, unless you buy me a pack of smokes. Then I'll look the other way."

The "Praise - Coming Soon!" was written by the website designer. I think that all the bits that aren't populated yet say "Coming Soon!" or something like that. It's a work in progress. The book hasn't actually gone to print yet. It is kind of funny, though. Sort of like how Less Nessman, on WKRP, had tape around his desk to show "where walls will someday be." Remember WKRP? Don't make 'em like that anymore. Nosireebob.

Ed
Ed Lakewood

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)

Postby the chief » 16 Jan 2011, 07:02

Ed,
Read the excerpt and I'm totally hooked.
LOVED the description of TST in the morning, it was spot on, I could smell it as I read.
Hilarious you should mention the Theroux, I read the Iron Rooster about 2 weeks after I first got here, and as you were starting to outline your plan, I was thinking, this sounds cool, kind of like Riding the Iron Rooster, except with manners. And then you up and cite it, brilliant.
I'll definitely be looking to acquire a copy at the earliest availability.
"Got to hurry back to my hotel room
Where I got me a date with a pretty little girl from Split"

You're driftin' out of touch, Doc. G_d help us all.

"They wanted Hellboy, they got Hellboy."
-superking

Fully ordained Dudeist Priest, CLDD in good standing, available for weddings, funerals, and league semifinals, PM me.
Forumosan avatar
the chief

24 Recommends(s)
73 Recognized(s)

Postby archylgp » 16 Jan 2011, 15:41

the chief wrote:Ed,
Read the excerpt and I'm totally hooked.
LOVED the description of TST in the morning, it was spot on, I could smell it as I read.
Hilarious you should mention the Theroux, I read the Iron Rooster about 2 weeks after I first got here, and as you were starting to outline your plan, I was thinking, this sounds cool, kind of like Riding the Iron Rooster, except with manners. And then you up and cite it, brilliant.
I'll definitely be looking to acquire a copy at the earliest availability.

I agree with Chief; can't wait to read it.

While reading your preface I remembered my first time in China, when I was fifteen years old, taking the bus from Hong Kong to Guangzhou. I haven't thought of that day in years.
archylgp
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

150 Recommends(s)
30 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 16 Jan 2011, 15:47

I really enjoyed the excerpt. You're quite right -- your prose style HAS grown up. I look forward to reading this one.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 16 Jan 2011, 17:42

Looks good! looking forward to it.
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

331 Recommends(s)
325 Recognized(s)

Postby Homey » 16 Jan 2011, 18:33

congrats on finishing the book, I hope it's a huge success!

I enjoyed reading the excerpt.
Why not???

If you are what you eat, then I guess that makes me "fast, cheap, and easy"!
Forumosan avatar
Homey
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

2 Recommends(s)
17 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 16 Jan 2011, 19:02

Lose the word "whirlwind"...it implies superficial.
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Culture & History