I love Taiwan

Forum rules
Try using the YouTube BBcode when you post the video on the site, simply enter: [YouTubeBB3]URL to Video[/YouTubeBB3] or try [flv]URL to Video[/flv]

Re: I love Taiwan

Postby Omniloquacious » 26 Apr 2012, 22:49

Judging from the tenor of his string of posts this evening, I fear that bobk may have dined on something more painful than he supposes us to have had for breakfast. Nails and razor blades, perhaps?
If I prioritized the acquisition of wealth above other purposes in life, I might still have come to Taiwan to study Chinese, but I doubt I would have remained here.
寸金難買寸光陰

This post was recommended by trubadour (06 Aug 2012, 18:57)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
Omniloquacious
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

63 Recommends(s)
188 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 26 Apr 2012, 23:20

Thanks for that. It was just what I needed.

Please don't take that the wrong way - there was no offence intended. I am just trying to draw parallel here. Aside from the production quality and sponsorship, it is my opinion that the the two pieces of work can be compared in terms of what the focus of the video is, and that focus is, unfortunately, the white foreigner.
With greatest respect,

SH
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 26 Apr 2012, 23:22

Omniloquacious wrote:Judging from the tenor of his string of posts this evening, I fear that bobk may have dined on something more painful than he supposes us to have had for breakfast. Nails and razor blades, perhaps?

Poor fellow. I feasted on lamb skewers, Uyger bread, and Mogao red wine while overlooking the Gobi desert in the company of some delightful travelers.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

704 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 26 Apr 2012, 23:54

I hope you are not serious with the above statement.I find the Taiwanese to be one of the most affectionate group(almost obsessive) when it comes to displaying their affection and pride for Taiwan.Just stand in front of Sogo( as I have done for a study of Taiwanese culture and my thesis) and ask anyone:

Yes. I am serious.

1/Do you love or like Taiwan?

You ask a rather pointed, general question which asks whether somebody loves or likes Taiwan. Of course the answer will be yes.
If you were to ask me, the answer would be yes. This question gives no room to explore any negative feelings about the nation and, as the question is asked by a foreigner, gives the interviewee pressure both to represent her or himself and Taiwan in a positive light.

2/Are you proud to be Taiwanese?

Again, such simplistic questioning can only really lead to one feasible answer.

3/If you had a choice would you like to live in another country and if so which one?

This question does not account for the insular character of many Taiwanese people, who have only travelled as part of a tour or on business carrying a suitcase full of instant noodles. A great number of Taiwanese people who want to live abroad are already there.

4/Would you like Taiwan to reunify with the Mainland?

So here you are basically asking whether somebody who lives in a democracy at the moment would like to relinquish this democracy to live under communist rule?
And these questions form some sort of basis as part of your thesis?

Now let me ask you a question: Are YOU serious?

The United States (and yes I am an American) is in such shit shape and doesn't look to be improving in the short or long term.I doubt you would have many Americans routinely glorifying or saluting anything these days.

A country being in shit shape rarely has any affect on national pride. However, you can still find the banner hanging in every classroom, in front of every library and government building and on almost every street - somewhere. This is a display of national pride.

Would you like me to download all the videos sponsored by the American government that promote exactly what you say they don't? All races have been used and continue to be used to promote either living,working,becoming a citizen and contributing to the USA.

you can download them if you want - it's your hard drive. I'm not interested in watching them though. But may be I am wrong here. I don't know. I can't imagine this happening in my country, save for the token <insert race here> guy or girl needed so that whatever production company falls in line with political correctness and equal opportunities laws.

Speak about yourself when you trash foreigners as you have done in your comment above.Not all foreigners in Taiwan are wandering(not wonder)aimlessly or are English teachers or marry a local.I have been here less than 3 years and make a USD 6 figure salary.Not sponsored by any company but by effort, hard work and fortitude.You reap what you sow

I was using irony, with just a hint of sarcasm. However, judging by how your thesis is going to pan out I doubt you would ever get to grips with even the simplest rhetorical or literary devices thrown your way.
By the way, thanks for the typo correction - you really made me look like a fool, especially in contrast to you, with your 6 figure salary. It made me say "wow" out loud.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby bobk49 » 27 Apr 2012, 07:08

Omniloquacious wrote:Judging from the tenor of his string of posts this evening, I fear that bobk may have dined on something more painful than he supposes us to have had for breakfast. Nails and razor blades, perhaps?

Your fear about my meal is a wrong assumption.The only pain I felt was from most of the negative comments here and my being stupid enough to waste time responding to them.
bobk49
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby bobk49 » 27 Apr 2012, 07:33

Super Hans wrote:
I hope you are not serious with the above statement.I find the Taiwanese to be one of the most affectionate group(almost obsessive) when it comes to displaying their affection and pride for Taiwan.Just stand in front of Sogo( as I have done for a study of Taiwanese culture and my thesis) and ask anyone:

Yes. I am serious.
Sad indeed.
1/Do you love or like Taiwan?

You ask a rather pointed, general question which asks whether somebody loves or likes Taiwan. Of course the answer will be yes.
If you were to ask me, the answer would be yes. This question gives no room to explore any negative feelings about the nation and, as the question is asked by a foreigner, gives the interviewee pressure both to represent her or himself and Taiwan in a positive light.
The questions were complied by the organization I am doing the survey for.The point was to keep it simple but it does offer a section on any input + or - that the interviewee could express.Why do you assume wrongly that if a foreigner asks a question that the response must be all sunshine and roses?
2/Are you proud to be Taiwanese?

Again, such simplistic questioning can only really lead to one feasible answer.
Ditto as above response.

3/If you had a choice would you like to live in another country and if so which one?

This question does not account for the insular character of many Taiwanese people, who have only travelled as part of a tour or on business carrying a suitcase full of instant noodles. A great number of Taiwanese people who want to live abroad are already there.
Yet another wrong assumption and of course a racist remark.Do Germans carry a suitcase of knockwurst and sauerkraut as one example Hans?
4/Would you like Taiwan to reunify with the Mainland?

So here you are basically asking whether somebody who lives in a democracy at the moment would like to relinquish this democracy to live under communist rule?
And these questions form some sort of basis as part of your thesis?
Correct as not everyone feels a democracy is the answer to all their dreams and aspirations.Are you a political maven with sufficient knowledge that democracy works all of the time?
Now let me ask you a question: Are YOU serious?
Yes deadly serious.

The United States (and yes I am an American) is in such shit shape and doesn't look to be improving in the short or long term.I doubt you would have many Americans routinely glorifying or saluting anything these days.

A country being in shit shape rarely has any affect on national pride. However, you can still find the banner hanging in every classroom, in front of every library and government building and on almost every street - somewhere. This is a display of national pride.

The law requires to display the American flag in the venues that you mention.Every street corner....? When was the last time you visited every state in America? Maybe every street corner in Smalltown USA.

Would you like me to download all the videos sponsored by the American government that promote exactly what you say they don't? All races have been used and continue to be used to promote either living,working,becoming a citizen and contributing to the USA.

you can download them if you want - it's your hard drive. I'm not interested in watching them though. But may be I am wrong here. I don't know. I can't imagine this happening in my country, save for the token <insert race here> guy or girl needed so that whatever production company falls in line with political correctness and equal opportunities laws.
No need to download they are easily accessed on any website that has to do with immigrants coming to America to make it their home. Interestingly you hide your nationality and heritage.
Speak about yourself when you trash foreigners as you have done in your comment above.Not all foreigners in Taiwan are wandering(not wonder)aimlessly or are English teachers or marry a local.I have been here less than 3 years and make a USD 6 figure salary.Not sponsored by any company but by effort, hard work and fortitude.You reap what you sow

I was using irony, with just a hint of sarcasm. However, judging by how your thesis is going to pan out I doubt you would ever get to grips with even the simplest rhetorical or literary devices thrown your way.
I find your irony and hint of sarcasm uncalled for and irrelevant in the scheme of things.Quite possibly it could be a cover for something less than you think you are.
By the way, thanks for the typo correction - you really made me look like a fool, especially in contrast to you, with your 6 figure salary. It made me say "wow" out loud.

Capit stultus scio stultus
bobk49

Postby bobk49 » 27 Apr 2012, 08:29

Muzha Man wrote:
bobk49 wrote:...Speak about yourself when you trash foreigners as you have done in your comment above.

Poagao isn't a foreigner. He gave up his American citizenship decades ago and even served in the ROC military. You might want to learn a little about the people on this site before YOU start taking offense at every perceived slight. Most of us have been here long enough to have earned the right to say whatever we like. Any notion that we are "guests" who must constantly be reminded of our "minority" status is risible bordering on contemptible.

1/How is one to know what one was,is or has accomplished when everyone here hides behind silly nicks?

2/I have zero interest in learning about or knowing anyone that has posted the pompous self-obsessed know-it-all comments here.

3/One does not have to "be here long enough" to have license to act in a contemptuous manner.So anyway you slice the pie we are still the minority.
bobk49

Postby the bear » 27 Apr 2012, 08:47

bobk49 wrote:
the bear wrote:
bobk49 wrote:I have noticed that the majority of comments here are from the same small % of people that must chew glass for breakfast or are so self-absorbed that no matter what would be posted here would never get any sort of positive input.So it's good-bye Forumosa.com and off to Taiwaneasia.com where the crowd seems calmer and not as hateful as this group.I wish you all happiness.Bye

Jesus man. People have a different take to you on something and you take it personally? GTFU! You might not have noticed but almost all of us gave some credit to "Shaun" for his efforts. At the same time the OP asked us for our comments and we gave them as honestly as we could. Not much wrong with that.

Now back to my bowl of glass.

By all means everyone is entitled to their opinion but in most cases the manner in which they have been posted are rude,crude,not constructive and in some cases down right racist.Keep in mind WE and that includes ME are the minority and this is OUR adopted home for whatever reasons.The comments also reek of "us vs.them" or the days of colonization when other countries ruled with an authoritativeness about them.

I have no idea what you is on about. Didn't I hear you say you was leaving for taiwanease in the morning? :cool:
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

26 Recommends(s)
93 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 27 Apr 2012, 09:11

Why is this turning into a cock-blocking bun fight? (I dare anyone to image what that looks like)
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby the bear » 27 Apr 2012, 09:17

Steviebike wrote:Why is this turning into a cock-blocking bun fight? (I dare anyone to image what that looks like)

It's turned into a Mongolian clusterfuck because one single poster has come into the thread with a very fixed agenda and attacked anyone who refuses to share his opinions. Apparently we are all rabid neo-colonialists. Who knew?
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear

26 Recommends(s)
93 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to YouTube and Other Video Clips