The Bodhi Way (三乘菩提)

The Bodhi Way (三乘菩提)

Postby Buddhism » 04 Sep 2011, 23:48

Buddha means the enlightened one. Around 2500 years ago, the Buddha manifested as a human being (human path) and passed down Buddhism. The Buddha wished to share us the essence of his enlightenment. Therefore, Buddhism is neither a philosophy by itself, nor an academic research system. It is a matter of actual realization. In other words, the Buddha dharmas (teachings) are the Buddha’s personal experiences that are feasible for Buddhists to carry out. This fact ensures that human beings have the most potential to get enlightened after cultivations. For this reason, Buddhist cultivation is deeply interlinked in everyone’s daily life.
There are several fundamental concepts of Buddhism, among others, the law of cause-and-effect and the unceasing transmigration. These are all based on the Buddha nature that every sentient being innately possesses, otherwise, how could the ”unceasing transmigration” practically substantiate with the fact that our physical bodies do come to an end。
In fact, the genuine Buddha dharma is generally categorized into the Liberation-Way and the Buddhahood-Way, but the former is actually included in the latter. In terms of Buddhism, “liberation” refers to the fact of breaking the bond of the law of cause-and-effect in order to have the long cycle of births and deaths come to an end.
“It is difficult for the correct dharmas to manifest if the erroneous ones are not destroyed 若不破邪,難以顯正.” Bodhisattva Xuanzang (玄奘菩薩) stated in the past.
Buddhism
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Re: The Bodhi Way (三乘菩提)

Postby SFOD-D » 04 Sep 2011, 23:56

thanks for sharing that.
Forumosan avatar
SFOD-D
Suspended (bèi jìnle)
Suspended (bèi jìnle)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 05 Sep 2011, 00:14

I never thought I'd be agreeing with SFOD-D but, yeah, thanks for your unsolicited fanatical information. :pray:
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

80 Recommends(s)
158 Recognized(s)

Postby SFOD-D » 05 Sep 2011, 00:28

Charlie Phillips wrote:I never thought I'd be agreeing with SFOD-D but, yeah, thanks for your unsolicited fanatical information. :pray:

seriously a touch of enlightenment that may be beneficial to some does not make it fanatical, as for unsolicited. it is in the religion and spirituality section. And I was thanking the OP, not opening a discussion.
Forumosan avatar
SFOD-D
Suspended (bèi jìnle)
Suspended (bèi jìnle)

Postby Fortigurn » 05 Sep 2011, 01:20

Charlie Phillips wrote:I never thought I'd be agreeing with SFOD-D but, yeah, thanks for your unsolicited fanatical information. :pray:

It was not unsolicited; I invited Buddhist to start this thread. Nor is it fanatical; it was sensibly and informatively presented, without a hint of fanaticism. Let's please keep the tone high.
Hiking gear.
Forumosan avatar
Fortigurn
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

13 Recommends(s)
33 Recognized(s)

Postby Buddhism » 05 Sep 2011, 17:12

Many thanks for all the encouragement and morale support.
In fact, the questions raised at the other thread “Tibetan Buddhism is not Buddhism; lamas are not Buddhists” are rather logical after anyone initially read those previous posts. That is why I have accepted Fortigurn’s good advice and decided to start a new thread to give a concise introduction with regard to the very fundamental concepts of Buddhism. Through gradually building-up the basics (knowledge), many questions would be answered automatically without you even have to ask. Actually, the earlier thread (TB…) has provided answers to some questions already, only you do not perceive them. As mentioned earlier, language and words are very limited when we come to explain Buddhist true meaning, because the teachings are meant for departing from the mundane world while all beings in this desire-realm are well trained for “going-on-living” since childhood. For example, once we see an object, most people would instantly jump to their routine reactions without even truly comprehend what it actually stands for (these parts involve the law of cause-and-effect which were extensively elaborated on teachings of the third round of dharma transmission by the Buddha). It is only natural that most people might misinterpret the true meanings of Buddhism. It would be much efficient if we piece all info together and observe the whole chart of the Treasure Island first, instead of straying from the point constantly. Buddhism teachings cannot stay away from the worldly logic, if the essence of Buddhism is pure “emptiness,” what do we need the Buddha to tell us about? We shall all face death sooner or later or even utter emptiness, then we will be exactly the same as doggies and cats; they do not have to learn “emptiness” and why should we bother to study the nothingness? Moreover, the law of cause-and-effect and the unceasing transmigration would be accordingly invalid and meaningless since all would turn into emptiness. Excuses me, I have to run to the class now. -to be continued-
“It is difficult for the correct dharmas to manifest if the erroneous ones are not destroyed 若不破邪,難以顯正.” Bodhisattva Xuanzang (玄奘菩薩) stated in the past.
Buddhism

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby Buddhism » 06 Sep 2011, 12:25

“I see sentient beings transmigrate into unceasing births-and-deaths, while everyone possesses their own wondrous Tathagatagarbh within exactly the same as that of mine, the ultimately pure nature,” the Buddha stated in the “Tathagatagarbh-Sutra.”
Tathagatagarbh refers to the Buddha nature (also know as the eighth vijnana, the Alaya vijnana); It is the aim for enlightenment.
The Buddhism religion is to teach the cultivation methods of attaining Buddhahood, yet seeing the actual difficulties for humankind in this desire-realm to practice the Buddhahood-Way, so the Buddha had arranged for the three rounds of the dharma transmission in order to gradually uplift the disciples’ level of cultivation.
During the first round of the dharma transmission - the Liberation-Way, the Buddha expounded the Four Agama Sutras.
In Buddhism, the terms “three treasures” refers to the Buddha, the Dharma (Buddhist teachings), and the Samgha (community of monks and nuns).
Samgha are those Buddhists who have taken the oaths and dedicated their entire life to carry out the Buddhist lineage; during their ordainment, they ought to take vows of the Buddhist precepts which focus on the nurturance of morality, tranquility of mindset and ridding selves of desire-driven. Holding the precepts are the most fundamental practice, after which one may engage properly in the practice of samadhi (concentration) and prajna (wisdom).
Among the many precepts, the primary ones are: No killing, no stealing, no sex, no false speech, and no alcohol.
Now we come to the big discussions regarding “sex” in Buddhist cultivation. When the term “vegetarian” is mentioned, we know it refers to a person who does not eat meat and animal products (in terms of Buddhist view); as monks and nuns in Buddhist term, they represent the monastic Samgha who are under the Buddhist oaths to carry out the Buddha lineage. Just to remind you again, the Buddha did not preach for reproduction or proliferation, He expounded exactly the opposite, to terminate the long cycle of unceasing births-and-death.
“To eat and to have sex are human natures” (食色性也) is a well known Chinese proverb, and they are basic instincts for human survival. That is also why this world is categorized as the desire-realm in Buddhism.
Dignifying sexuality practice in any form or name has nothing to do with the Buddhist cultivation whatsoever.
Buddhism

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 06 Sep 2011, 12:52

Dignifying sexuality practice in any form or name has nothing to do with the Buddhist cultivation whatsoever.

Surely you mean it has nothing to do with YOUR PARTICULAR SECT'S cultivation of Buddhism?

This post was recommended by zonetones (03 Apr 2013, 06:20)
Rating: 5.88%
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby zender » 06 Sep 2011, 13:01

I'd think dignifying sexual practice and teaching your children (that Buddhism is true) would be the easiest method of Buddhist cultivation.

Anyway, there's a lot of good that you've written there.

I'm 100% for "No killing, no stealing, and no false speech", and I believe that ridding selves of desire promotes tranquility. I try to live a simple life, but I'm no monk.

Of course, eating and having sex are human nature; that doesn't separate us from the animals.

Do you think there is good evidence for transmigration into unceasing births-and-deaths?
zender
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

79 Recommends(s)
109 Recognized(s)

Postby *monkey* » 06 Sep 2011, 13:51

Buddhism wrote:Buddha means the enlightened one. Around 2500 years ago, the Buddha manifested as a human being (human path) ...

Well, I was lost at the second sentence. What exactly does "Buddha manifested as a human being" mean?
Floggings will continue until morale improves

Monkey's portmanteau of the day: Scootard
Forumosan avatar
*monkey*
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

4 Recommends(s)
59 Recognized(s)

Next

Return to Religion & Spirituality