How Chinese characters confirm Genesis & bible(?) stories

How Chinese characters confirm Genesis & bible(?) stories

Postby irishstu » 24 Oct 2011, 12:29

Firstly, my apologies if this has already been discussed, and if it has, a link to the thread would be appreciated.

A very good (Christian) friend of mine sent me this link and asked me to check it out. He's curious to know if the Chinese character aspect of it is just a load of rubbish, or if it does have some substance. I'm curious what those of you who understand the etymology of Chinese characters better that I do think about it.

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tSD49z ... r_embedded

[youTubeBB3]6tSD49zRZxg[/youTubeBB3]
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

ORIGINAL POSTER
91 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Re: How Chinese characters confirm Genesis & bible stories

Postby Lili » 24 Oct 2011, 12:33

What do you mean by "confirm"?
"I wanted to be puzzled and charmed, to experience the endless, beguiling variety of a continent where you can board a train and an hour later be somewhere where the inhabitants speak a different language, eat different foods, work different hours, live lives that are at once so different and yet so oddly similar. I wanted to be a tourist," Bill Bryson.
"...But I ended up in Taiwan," Lili.

Never underestimate how much assistance,
how much satisfaction,
how much comfort,
how much soul and transcendence there might be
in a cold bottle of beer.
-Tom Robbins
Forumosan avatar
Lili
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

21 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)

Postby cranky laowai » 24 Oct 2011, 12:37

A load of rubbish.

As I wrote elsewhere (in Misunderstandings of Biblical Proportions), "such things are the equivalent of the folk etymology of the English word assume: to assume means ‘to make an ass out of you and me.’
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

37 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 24 Oct 2011, 12:40

Lili wrote:What do you mean by "confirm"?

Well, that's really for you to decide. I think they're basically saying it's proof that the whole thing's true.

cranky laowai wrote:A load of rubbish.

As I wrote elsewhere (in Misunderstandings of Biblical Proportions), "such things are the equivalent of the folk etymology of the English word assume: to assume means ‘to make an ass out of you and me.’

Thanks a lot cranky. I'll pass that link on to him.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu

ORIGINAL POSTER
91 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby Lili » 24 Oct 2011, 12:53

irishstu wrote:
Lili wrote:What do you mean by "confirm"?

Well, that's really for you to decide. I think they're basically saying it's profof that the whole thing's true.

While I consider myself "Roman Catholic" (I'm pretty sure the Church ex-communicated me at 14 years old but oh well), and I strongly believe in the teachings of Christ and yada yada... "confirming" the Bible? Like as in Eden?

Forgive me if I insult anyone but: :ponder: :roflmao:
And... what in the Chinese characters? It sounds something akin to finding the face of Christ in a potato.
"I wanted to be puzzled and charmed, to experience the endless, beguiling variety of a continent where you can board a train and an hour later be somewhere where the inhabitants speak a different language, eat different foods, work different hours, live lives that are at once so different and yet so oddly similar. I wanted to be a tourist," Bill Bryson.
"...But I ended up in Taiwan," Lili.

Never underestimate how much assistance,
how much satisfaction,
how much comfort,
how much soul and transcendence there might be
in a cold bottle of beer.
-Tom Robbins
Forumosan avatar
Lili

21 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)

Re: How Chinese characters confirm Genesis & bible(?) stories

Postby Zla'od » 24 Oct 2011, 18:28

A potato can only possess Christ's attributes, not his substance. (Also butter and baco-bits.)
“If a bodhisattva resides as a householder and there appears a woman who is clearly unbound to anyone, habituated to sexual indulgence, attracted to the bodhisattva and seeking sexual activities, the bodhisattva having seen this thinks, 'Do not make her mind upset, producing much misfortune. If she pursues her desire, she will obtain freedom. As expedient means [upaya] I will take her in and have her plant the roots for virtue, also having her abandon unwholesome karma. I will engage in impure activities [abrahma-carya] with a compassionate mind.' Even practising such defiled activities like this, there is nothing that is violated [precepts], and much merit will be produced." -- from the Yogācārabhūmi Śāstra

For even more saucy Buddhist scripture, see http://sdhammika.blogspot.tw/2010/08/st ... m-all.html
Zla'od
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

78 Recognized(s)

Postby Taffy » 24 Oct 2011, 19:14

cranky laowai wrote:As I wrote elsewhere (in Misunderstandings of Biblical Proportions), "such things are the equivalent of the folk etymology of the English word assume: to assume means ‘to make an ass out of you and me.’

"Site Admin, why do you hate God so much?" :lol:

This post was recommended by jimipresley (24 Oct 2011, 22:27)
Rating: 4%
Taffy
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

104 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby heimuoshu » 24 Oct 2011, 20:45

Taffy wrote:
cranky laowai wrote:As I wrote elsewhere (in Misunderstandings of Biblical Proportions), "such things are the equivalent of the folk etymology of the English word assume: to assume means ‘to make an ass out of you and me.’

"Site Admin, why do you hate God so much?" :lol:

As a Christian, even I find these claims of proof annoying and I think Mr Carnky Laowai has done a great job debunking it. Religion is not about proof. It has never been and shouldn't ever be.
heimuoshu
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

6 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Re: How Chinese characters confirm Genesis & bible(?) stories

Postby spitzig » 24 Oct 2011, 22:24

So, if this logic "proves" (this version of) Christianity to be correct, does that mean that one could use this logic to "prove" some other (contradictory) religion to be correct? With better knowledge of Chinese than I have.

Incidentally, it reminds me of the numerology that people use to find "Bible Codes". People have have found "prophecies" in the bible by looking for patterns. Of course other people have used those same algorithms to find things "Bible Codes are bullshit"(or things similar).

Both the Bible and Chinese are VERY large data sources. It's easy to find patterns in both. Probably easy to find some of the same patterns.
spitzig
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

Postby Fortigurn » 29 Oct 2011, 16:19

heimuoshu wrote:As a Christian, even I find these claims of proof annoying and I think Mr Carnky Laowai has done a great job debunking it.

I agree completely. The claim is absolutely ridiculous.
Hiking gear.
Forumosan avatar
Fortigurn
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

13 Recommends(s)
33 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Religion & Spirituality