Survey of ex-Christian atheists/agnostics

Survey of ex-Christian atheists/agnostics

Postby Vay » 08 Feb 2012, 15:23

Survey of Former Christians, Now Atheists/Agnostics ~ Thank you for helping me complete my thesis!

It's an interesting survey. I actually enjoyed filling it out, as I got to tell my story a bit. No one's ever really asked me about that before, so it was nice to share.
"So given that we all agree that the world is warming, would it be unlikely to have heat waves outpace cold fronts by 3:1? Where's the Gotcha! in that?" - Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
Vay
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)

ORIGINAL POSTER
27 Recommends(s)
50 Recognized(s)

Re: Survey of ex-Christian atheists/agnostics

Postby NonTocareLeTete » 08 Feb 2012, 17:15

Did it. Got me thinking about my past and how glad I am to be where I am today!
NonTocareLeTete
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

121 Recommends(s)
156 Recognized(s)

Postby spitzig » 08 Feb 2012, 22:25

Pretty good survey. Seemed to need a few more options. When I deconverted, at about 11, I wasn't very liberal or conservative. I wasn't aware enough of the issues to have many opinions. I don't know much about the churches I attended then, either. I can only make guesses from my studies of Christianity since being an adult.
spitzig
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

Postby justreal » 09 Feb 2012, 05:26

Too much linking of the atheists/agnostics to homosexuality. It is a loaded survey. Just saying.
Living in Taiwan, where the girls are women and most of the guys are too...
justreal
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

3 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby rosarot » 09 Feb 2012, 23:56

justreal wrote:Too much linking of the atheists/agnostics to homosexuality. It is a loaded survey. Just saying.

Since it's a survey for a thesis I guess that's just a relevant aspect for the thesis.
Why do people say "Grow some balls."? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! – Betty White
Forumosan avatar
rosarot
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

9 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby justreal » 11 Feb 2012, 15:25

rosarot wrote:
justreal wrote:Too much linking of the atheists/agnostics to homosexuality. It is a loaded survey. Just saying.

Since it's a survey for a thesis I guess that's just a relevant aspect for the thesis.

Not when it is a survey of ex-Christian atheists/agnostics. To add a homosexual survey half way through perverts the original survey. Or maybe the survey is assuming that ex-Christian atheists/agnostics are homosexual?
Living in Taiwan, where the girls are women and most of the guys are too...
justreal

3 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby Fortigurn » 11 Feb 2012, 15:39

justreal wrote:Not when it is a survey of ex-Christian atheists/agnostics. To add a homosexual survey half way through perverts the original survey. Or maybe the survey is assuming that ex-Christian atheists/agnostics are homosexual?

It seems to me that the survey wants to assess whether deconversion results in a change of beliefs concerning social issues, that one in particular. I don't see how this is linking atheists or agnostics to homosexuality.
Hiking gear.
Forumosan avatar
Fortigurn
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

13 Recommends(s)
33 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 11 Feb 2012, 16:22

Sounds like an interesting study. But I don't meet the criteria to fill out the survey, having never been a Christian.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

82 Recommends(s)
173 Recognized(s)

Postby heimuoshu » 11 Feb 2012, 17:13

Well, I would actually be interested to know the results although my guess is that it aims to prove that Christians are more conservative and agnostics are more liberal. I have never deconverted so I can't complete the survey either. I do not see how the homosexuality question links atheists/agnostics to homosexuality. It does seem to ask for an attitude, be it liberal or conservative regarding this specific social issue.
heimuoshu
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

6 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby Zla'od » 13 Feb 2012, 07:05

It has a number of problems, beginning with failure to define atheism / agnosticism. Do they mean anybody who doesn't believe in religion, or anyone who is not a committed theist? I think the concept of "God" is vague, and that even if something like the Abrahamic deity existed, it would be morally irrelevant (if the devil turned out to be more powerful, would you worship him instead?) --but I probably entertain beliefs that are equally woo.

The survey seems to assume that respondents will be Americans (e.g. when it asks who you voted for in the 2008 and 2012 presidential elections), and picked "wedge issues" (homosexuality and evolution) that are controversial among American Evangelicals, but not elsewhere. Evolution in particular would be a non-issue for the majority of Christians (Catholics, mainline Protestants, and I don't think the Orthodox about it care very much either, even as regressive as they are). In other parts of the world, abuse or social justice issues would be more relevant. At least they didn't ask about the End Times!

Some churches do not have a clear political affiliation, as the survey expects. They may be divided, or the local church may be different from the national denomination. Some people will have attended more than one church while growing up, which cannot be assumed to be similar. Also, respondents' motivation for leaving Christianity may be different from those keeping them away later in life.

I was amused by the line asking for suggestions about how churches might keep such people from leaving. What is this--market research? "Well, you could play a little more indie rock, cut down on the number of impossible things one has to believe, and not have so many witch-hunts."
Narrated Umar ibn al-Khattab
Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) forbade withdrawing the penis from a free woman unless she gives permission. Ibn Majah transmitted it. (Tirmidhi Hadith, Number 950)
Zla'od
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

62 Recognized(s)

x

Return to Religion & Spirituality