Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Anyone Here "into" Taiwanese Religion?

Re: Anyone Here "into" Taiwanese Religion?

Postby Confuzius » 11 Feb 2012, 13:08

Zla'od wrote:
I see it as folk religion because there doesn't seem to be any official organization espousing any official doctrine.

No doctrine, perhaps, but that may represent a Christian emphasis. There is certainly organization in terms of temple committees, and at least one "national" (island-wide) body, though the religion is very decentralized (like the Baptists!).

The beliefs and practices seem to vary widely from community to community, temple to temple and person to person.

Again like the Baptists! But Zhinangong, for example, identifies itself as Quanzhen Daojiao, and its priests do rituals on that basis. There is even a little seminary that gives classes in the weekends. (Some Laozi / Zhuangzi and a lot of fortune-telling type stuff.)

The Daoist canon has over 1400 volumes, it would be as if Christianity (to take an example) included in their bible everything from Genesis to the works of Medieval mystics, occultists, the Mormon scriptures, sprinkled with cook books and medical treatises plus some astrology and geology.

Its very hard for Westerners to wrap their heads around
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby ktk_ace » 28 May 2012, 04:58

I believe in sleeping. i really do!! :oops:
ktk_ace
38 Posts? I'm a bimbo, baby!

2 Recommends(s)

Postby Teddoman » 28 May 2012, 06:14

Western culture is so secularized that Taiwanese folk religion and practices today look completely incomprehensible to us.

However, I wonder if what still exists in Taiwan today is really what Western Christianity was like prior to the spread of science. Maybe this is what Christianity "felt" like in the time of Jesus or even maybe much more recently. If you look at the various Protestants that came to the Americas, like Calvinists, their version of Christianity would look pretty superstitious and wierd to us today, even to Christian believers.

When I recollect on descriptions of western civilization, I recall all kinds of crazy mystics being able to command allegiance. Just think of the crusades and how noblemen were willing to mortgage all of their property and basically bankrupt themselves in order to finance ridiculous expeditions to the middle east with a very low chance of success, much less financial return.

So maybe today's Taiwanese folk religion and practices are just a reflection of the primordial religious stew that most humans lived in before education and science really penetrated deeply enough to secularize them in a substantive way.

I totally agree that Taiwanese folk religion is fascinating. Anyone who has a chance to be involved and check it out, it's totally worth it

This post was recommended by Tempo Gain (28 May 2012, 12:13)
Rating: 4%
Teddoman
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

12 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby Lros » 27 Feb 2013, 21:40

finley wrote:
Muzha Man wrote: It seems people here like to mix'n'match their religious beliefs to suit their personal requirements - there doesn't appear to be much in the way of established dogma.

fantastic! i wish the same could happen in every country, what a great idea.
Lros
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

1 Recommends(s)
53 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Religion & Spirituality